That night and day thing the cable skeptics fear...
Apr 1, 2008 at 4:02 AM Post #136 of 157
I am sure it is not the common aluminumoxide, and I kind of suspect the whole purpose of the "cat ate VD cable" thread is to squeeze VD to reveal the detail of that ferrite powder. Using ferrite powder is actually a smart idea.

Just checked McMaster.com for magnetic powder, they have some ultra-fine stuff for flaw detection, but that is $71/10 LB, which is way too much for experimenting a few cables with....

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:32 AM Post #137 of 157
71$ for 10 lbs ... I think power 3 will have a good 2 lbs.

15$ in part + 10-12$ for the powder. So 25-27$ in part + labor.

Not to expansive to try in DIY and see what happening. After try a bigger gauge wire.

Apr 2, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #139 of 157
Imagine how much tests the cables cie have to do to have something they think good ?

Once they know how to build them they have to sell at high price to be able to stay in business. Peaple have trouble to understand that ... Cable cost 40$ in part and when they see cie sell them for 99$ they cry .. it's a steal ...

Take Adidas .. in "part" it's probably 1-2$ to do and they sell for 100$. :xf_cool:

Apr 2, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #140 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioCats /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am sure it is not the common aluminumoxide, and I kind of suspect the whole purpose of the "cat ate VD cable" thread is to squeeze VD to reveal the detail of that ferrite powder. Using ferrite powder is actually a smart idea.

Just checked McMaster.com for magnetic powder, they have some ultra-fine stuff for flaw detection, but that is $71/10 LB, which is way too much for experimenting a few cables with....

Except a rep from VD said in the original thread that the "sand" in the cord was common, iron based sand-blasting media. Available at pretty much any hardware store for next to nothing per bag.

So, I'm pretty sure the higher priced magnetic powder would be overkill, but maybe not. YMMV.

Apr 2, 2008 at 6:41 PM Post #141 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by pompon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Imagine how much tests the cables cie have to do to have something they think good ?

Once they know how to build them they have to sell at high price to be able to stay in business. Peaple have trouble to understand that ... Cable cost 40$ in part and when they see cie sell them for 99$ they cry .. it's a steal ...

Take Adidas .. in "part" it's probably 1-2$ to do and they sell for 100$. :xf_cool:

I don't necessarily think that the manufacturing cost of cables is why some decry the high price. Rather, they don't believe that the cables actually benefit from the increased manufacturing cost. I could put diamond studs all over a power cable and charge an arm and a leg for it. Sure it would cost quite a bit to make, but it won't do anything to the cost of the cable and most would consider it a ripoff.

Apr 3, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #142 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by royalcrown /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I could put diamond studs all over a power cable and charge an arm and a leg for it. Sure it would cost quite a bit to make, but it won't do anything to the cost of the cable and most would consider it a ripoff.

For the prices of some cables, only with the diamonds it wouldn't be a rip-off
biggrin.gif

Apr 3, 2008 at 6:40 PM Post #143 of 157
I don't think something that completely solved an interference issue (sorry, it's not a ground issue as some people keep insisting) is a rip off at around $1000 (if you include shipping) when my components are pretty close to $40,000. It's about 2.5% of the total value. I tried stock cables and two relatively cheap cables ($130 and $195) and the only thing that got rid of the interference is the Shunyata cable.

Apr 3, 2008 at 8:28 PM Post #144 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think something that completely solved an interference issue (sorry, it's not a ground issue as some people keep insisting) is a rip off at around $1000 (if you include shipping) when my components are pretty close to $40,000. It's about 2.5% of the total value. I tried stock cables and two relatively cheap cables ($130 and $195) and the only thing that got rid of the interference is the Shunyata cable.

If is is not a grounding issue, there is a possiblity that you have a problem with the power supply in your CDP.

Dispite outputing an signal, the CDP circuits run off of DC power. If the cord is actually making a difference, it is possible that you have a problem with the power supply or voltage regulator within the amp itself.

These (the ground loop, power supply) are IMO more likely causes of unwanted noise than some unexplainable, mystical effect of a powercord. The fact is the 'science' behind why power cords make a difference isn't proven, or completely accepted. In this case (and in most), I think it is more reasonable to look at what is known about electronics and their affect on signals before jumping to an unexplained phenomenon.

That said, nobody has the right (except possibly your wife) to tell you what you can spend your money on.

Apr 4, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #145 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by UseName /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If is is not a grounding issue, there is a possiblity that you have a problem with the power supply in your CDP.

Dispite outputing an signal, the CDP circuits run off of DC power. If the cord is actually making a difference, it is possible that you have a problem with the power supply or voltage regulator within the amp itself.

These (the ground loop, power supply) are IMO more likely causes of unwanted noise than some unexplainable, mystical effect of a powercord. The fact is the 'science' behind why power cords make a difference isn't proven, or completely accepted. In this case (and in most), I think it is more reasonable to look at what is known about electronics and their affect on signals before jumping to an unexplained phenomenon.

That said, nobody has the right (except possibly your wife) to tell you what you can spend your money on.

That would make complete sense if it didn't also happen to the Opus 21. I'm personally convinced that a high resolution system will amplify the hell out of interference that might not show up on a middle of the road system. When I use my HeadRoom Desktop or my iPod, I miss out on a lot of the sweet details that show up in my main system, but I also get to gloss over the flaws (both in the music and system).

By the way, when I wasn't single, my ex had zero say in what I spent... there was community money for bills, but she had her toy money and I had mine. It's the only way to live in a relationship, IMO
biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2008 at 1:18 PM Post #146 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm personally convinced that a high resolution system will amplify the hell out of interference that might not show up on a middle of the road system.

Another fundamental misconception on the way amplifiers work.....why would a high end system "amplify the hell" out of interference and not do the same for music?

Are you saying that your system has greater gain overall than a mid-fi rig?

That can't be right. The same gain is applied to the entire input signal.....gain is simply a question of loudness, and for the most part, system gains are all in the same range, more or less.

Are you saying that your system otherwise has a lower noise floor downstream of the CDP that allows you to hear the interference?

Sorry, but even much lower priced gear is so quiet that one should be able to easily pick up on significant interference. I reiterate--my Marantz SA8001 or E-MU 0404 USB are dead quiet out of their internal headphone outputs or into a CK²III at full volume. No difference between max volume, minimum volume, or with the power off.

Borrow or buy a DMM or continuity tester, and check if the ground pin on the plug of the $$$ power cable that "works" is connected to the corresponding terminal on the socket end. It might be that a shield in that cable is connected to the pin on the plug but not to the terminal in the socket, but that is sort of a long shot.

Apr 4, 2008 at 4:58 PM Post #147 of 157
In lieu of getting a DMM or continuity tester (dang, over $40k in a rig, and no DMM......that's still hard for me to swallow!) here's another experiment to try to understand the reason for your observations:

Connect a cheater plug to the end of the $$$ cord, and see if you note the same reduction in interference.

You do have a cheater plug somewhere around, right, earwicker?

Apr 4, 2008 at 9:17 PM Post #148 of 157
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Connect a cheater plug to the end of the $$$ cord, and see if you note the same reduction in interference.

You do have a cheater plug somewhere around, right, earwicker?

I was going to suggest this as well. Funny what a ground connection can do when present or absent. It's possible that the main audible difference, if any, between the "diamond" cable and the others is really the grounding scheme, not the shielding or anything else (wiring topology, materials, or what not.)

Btw, shielding and grounding are well understood phenomena and there are very mature and robust practices in the electrical/electronics industry to deal with them. A cable with excellent shield and proper grounding can be really very affordable. There's little fancy engineering in them to pay high dollars for.

Apr 5, 2008 at 6:50 PM Post #149 of 157
God, I give up. I provide pretty conclusive evidence that a power cable can indeed affect sound and instead of people saying "Wow, I didn't expect that, this is interesting!" and exploring the subject, it's the same old head in the sand response I expected. Instead of making this about what it obviously is (interference) the skeptics decide to proove that I'm wrong by telling me I have a problem I don't have. This is not a ground loop issue. Frankly, it's like telling a person who discovers a new type of engine coolant "But that can't work, it's a flat tire!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back