That Darn Bird...
Jun 4, 2003 at 7:12 PM Post #16 of 27
LOL, thanks for all the suggestions guys. However, I would never harm the creature. Nevertheless, I truly believe this bird is on a suicidal path!

tongue.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 7:38 PM Post #17 of 27
feed it an alka-seltzer tablet.

evil_smiley.gif

Jun 4, 2003 at 9:26 PM Post #18 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by spaceman
The farmer who works a couple of fields up the road from me ties dead crows to stakes, and randomly places them through his fields to deter the crows from eating his corn. I don't see to many crows around here this time of year. Hmmmm....this cat has been hanging around my house, teasing my dogs.....
evil_smiley.gif

The real question is... Where did he get the dead crows from? I'm assuming he shot some crows for hanging. If so, perhaps it was the shooting of the birds that keeps them away. At least that's the way it worked for my backyard when I was younger. For some reason the birds just stopped coming. And I had soooo many BB's left...
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 1:35 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by RickG
Man...

I have this bird that started attacking my front window about a week ago...constantly flying up and down-then butting it's head into the glass above my front door. Now, for the past five days, the bird has gone around to the back of my abode and is ramming it's head into the window above my my media room.

I've decided that this deranged fowl wants both my Stax system and some of my better recordings.

You think I'm kidding, but this is Alfred Hitchcock out the ass...

This bird is making my life extra funky...

eek.gif

I used to wonder why birds would always fly into my windows over and over again. It was finally explained to me that in the spring which is mating season, the male birds can mistake their reflection for another bird and were simply dive bombing their reflection in order to defend their territory. Maybe pulling the shade or closing the shutters on your windows will prevent your friend from breaking his neck. In time his hormones will go back to normal. It must be tough being a bird.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 1:42 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by daycart1
How's about taping a black silouette of a hawk to your windows? I don't know how well this works, but I've noticed that a lot of storefronts do this.
confused.gif

I was in Germany last summer, and a lot of bus stops had the same hawk siluetes, amybe it works or maybe not, but is a cheap way of trying to get rid of the f....g bird, the next step, try to kill it, I like animals but it is giving you no other choice......
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jun 5, 2003 at 2:01 AM Post #21 of 27
Someone should post a threadl on "The best way to kill an annoying bird". I bet some of the responses would be very interesting.
biggrin.gif

EDIT: I just realized that I posted something extremely similar in the headphone forum. I guess I had a memory lapse or something.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:21 PM Post #24 of 27
If you don't have shutters to close, try garden netting. Just hang it in front of the window. The bird will either not have a reflection to attack or will simply hit the netting and be slowed to a stop. He may get tangled up a bit, or may not, but it shouldn't hurt him. I used garden netting in a carport to keep the mudnesting birds from rebuilding the nest (after the second nest I tore out). They didn't like it, but they eventually gave up and built their nest elsewhere.

Jun 6, 2003 at 7:32 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:

Originally posted by timoteus
I used to wonder why birds would always fly into my windows over and over again. It was finally explained to me that in the spring which is mating season, the male birds can mistake their reflection for another bird and were simply dive bombing their reflection in order to defend their territory. Maybe pulling the shade or closing the shutters on your windows will prevent your friend from breaking his neck. In time his hormones will go back to normal. It must be tough being a bird.

smily_headphones1.gif

I think you nailed it timoteus. Now the bird is fluttering up and down seemingly observing its image in the window. This is much more preferable then the "thunk" of the bird's head colliding with the window.

Maybe this fowl's hormones will return to normal and he will not be so enamored with his own appearance...

biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2003 at 11:51 PM Post #27 of 27
I still think a sling shot and some marbles is the most interesting and challenging solution.
smily_headphones1.gif

-Mag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back