Thanks Tyll, from HeadRoom!
Apr 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #31 of 61
Headroom was my starting point for upgraded headphone listening and I remember Tyll's name (and pic) on the 'old' Headroom website with funny pictures of the people who worked there (looked like around 5 people).

Thanks, Tyll, for getting me started on headphone listening and best of luck to you in all your future endeavors.

k701smile.gif

Joon

Apr 7, 2010 at 3:11 PM Post #32 of 61
First to all the well wishers, you are very welcome. It's been a joy to participate in the hobby with you guys, and even better just to mess around together with you as humans with common interests.

Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I must say that I think HeadRoom has just made a huge mistake in losing Tyll. Good luck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had always equated "HeadRoom = Tyll". Still can't fathom this news.

Quote:

Originally Posted by grawk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadRoom has lost an icon, hopefully this will work out for you both...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What a shock. It's tough for a company to lose its public face and the personal goodwill Tyll brought to HeadRoom. One hopes management took that into consideration.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is like Steve Jobs without Apple. I hope HeadRoom can keep on the straight and narrow.

I think it's important to comment on these straight on with as much truthfulness as I can, once and for all ... then we can move on to future issues with a clear conscience.

I wanted to build the Ferrari of the headphone world.

But it was very difficult for lots of reasons. Product developement was expensive and frankly a company HeadRoom's size is at extreme disadvantage when developing technical products. People are very used to products from Apple, Sony, etc and really don't know of the incredable costs of the kinds of development effort and how stressfully difficult it was for HeadRoom to afford such developments when having to bootstrap them along in a company HeadRoom's size.

I think I did an okay job with that, but I have to admit that without a churning business model creating lots of cash, HeadRoom struggled and was somewhat stressed internally due to product development.

Running and growing a business is incredibly difficult, and I was having to learn a lot about things I had no experience in --- do you know what a contribution margin is? I think I tried to do too much, too fast, with not enough expertise.

Anyway, all that is almost a moot point because in October of '08 the world started to collapse. HeadRoom's loss of sales was breath-taking. I started cutting, first with a pen knife, then with a butcher knife, and was starting to sharpen an axe when ....

Shift of view:

I owned a minority share of HeadRoom. When the economy has a glitch ---- earthquake really --- owners start to review their holdings for a little triage:
  1. Healthy ones need no attention.
  2. The poor ones need a mercy killing and liquidation.
  3. There are some that might not survive, but are worth keeping.
HeadRoom fell into that last category. Those companies need good, solid, standard-practices, book-learned management. Something I don't have. That's why new management was brought in.

Those companies also need a working, healthy, profit-making business model. My "model" was more just a long, stressful, risky bet that there would be a Ferrari in the market when it matured and we could be it.

See that word "risky?" It's not being aware of how tricky a word that is that took down the world economy; and it sure as heck is capable of taking down a little venture like HeadRoom.

Well, if owners aren't interested in Ferrari, what are they interested in? The answer is simple really: a trustworthy and thriving retail store. Now there are other things that are interesting about HeadRoom, but the really strong thing it has right now is traffic and trust. The other thing that HeadRoom has is a market that's growing like gangbusters. Headphones are HOT! Ask Monster. And that's what HeadRoom is trying to focus on.

Now, all that stuff shows that what HeadRoom's owners did was not only a perfectly legitimate business decision, but probably exactly the right strategy given the circumstances. And HeadRoom may have become trustworthy because that's what I wanted, but it remains trustworthy because of Jorge, Jamey, and the sales team has become trustworthy, and Travis recognizes the value of that and deems to keep it so. It doesn't take me anymore.

I'm me, sort of a wild and crazy geek who loves headphones, electronics, acoustics, and music. I love this hobby and the people in it. Asking me to fine tune the subtleties of ever broadening the appeal of headphones makes me a little crazy. 'Cuz, well, like you, I'm a bit of a fanatic.

I've told a similar story about my youngest daughter, but here's a new one from my eldest: Amethyst called me from the Apple store in New York City. She's in there with her boyfriend and she's all excited.

"Hey dad! I'm checking out these super cool headphones for Albert's birthday: the Monster Beats Studio. What do you think of them?"

I tell her I think the Studios are okay, no fatal flaws, middling in most ways --- which is pretty good since most non-audiophile cans have at least one fatal flaw --- but supurb looking for sure. Remembering a blog I did on noise cancellers and how impressed I was with the Bose QuiteComfort15, and guessing they might have some at the Apple store, I told her the Bose were way better sounding. She said they did have some there and she'd check them out.

20 minutes later she calls back.

"Dad, we had a listen to the Bose, and yeah, they're a little better, but the Mosters are so cool looking. We really love them.
jive.gif
"

rolleyes1.gif

"Well honey, they aren't bad, and they do look great. You guys should buy what you like."

baldy.gif

Despite what us fanatics think --- no, know --- the world doesn't have our value system. We can encourage it in others, but they must find it themselves. If they have a latent interest in great sound, maybe we can stimulate it, but many folks will simply have other value systems they work on, end of story.

japanese-car-mod.jpg

Here's the bottom line:

I took HeadRoom to a place where it had value, in a market that had value, and I have some responsibility for both. Good job me.

The economy and my skill set put HeadRoom at too great a risk.

The owners chose a new path to address the market to their satisfaction.

The owners also worked with me to find a very satisfying way to move on to something I would love to do. Many thanks.

You guys still have HeadRoom as a quality retailer, and me with whatever crazy ideas I come up with next.

I think it ended ... and is beginning, quite well.

Back to work!

wave.gif

PS Someone posted a crappy version, just wanted you all to have the full Monty.

264283122_8chgP-L.jpg

Apr 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #34 of 61
HI Tyll,

Just wanted to say thanks for all that you have done for the headphone community and for giving me my start many moons ago. I know whatever you do will be done full speed ahead and I wish you success!

And I also remember debating that very picture you posted and whether or not to use it. You all should be grateful that this is the only one you had to see
tongue.gif

Good luck and best wishes to you!

Todd

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #35 of 61
Tyll,

I know you hear it a lot but without HeadRoom, I am not sure how much I'd have gotten involved in headphones. Few years back, I used to visit HeadRoom every day to look at all the great gear and re-read the reviews I have read about a 1000 times. One of the main reasons I mostly buy stuff from HeadRoom is because of that.

I totally understand that we are just a drop in the ocean by being part of this drop, we would surely miss you.

Wish you all the best and hope better opportunities come your way. Wish to meet you in person sometime.

Sree

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #36 of 61
I think I became a HeadRoom customer long before Head-Fi started, and maybe even before I learned to pronounce "Tyll" correctly. Shortly before Head-Fi was started in 2001, I won the big HeadRoom contest at Headwize--a HeadRoom Total Airhead, a Sennheiser HD600, and a HeadRoom Max were the prizes, so one could imagine how much more enthusiasm for the hobby that probably injected into me. Later, Tyll did the World of Headphones Tour, with a stop in Detroit (on his way to several other stops), and that was the first time I met Tyll in person (though we'd talked on the phone prior to that). Then there was 2006 New York with the NY crew. And plenty more since.

Good times, man. And more to come, I'm sure.

Thanks for all you've done, Tyll.

Good luck to you, as well as to HeadRoom.

Apr 7, 2010 at 6:50 PM Post #37 of 61
There was a TV commercial years back where one of the images was of Jerry Garcia with a tag line that read 'you never know when an era will end'

I hate to think that same picture above is the end of the Tyll era.

Headroom for me, like so many here is where headphone listening started, way back in 1998 with a headroom home and Sennheiser HD600. It started me down a long and winding audio road that I still travel down every day. The cans and equipment I use now vary, however the start to the hobby began with HeadRoom right then and there.

Can't say enough how much a contribution Tyll has made to this hobby. Thank you for everything you have and will do. First my favorite brewery (Anderson Valley Brewing Co) is sold and now this...

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #38 of 61
Tyll,

I read your reply above... and still think the "new management" is making a mistake by losing a famous face in this community. Especially in a community that relies so much on trust and word of mouth. A perfect balance sheet, might not equal such an extensive and reliable customer base.

Personally (and quite frankly) I might second guess my future purchases of the next generation of Headroom products that will not have your input. I know there will be responses stating "nothing will change" but the facts are, you wont be there and that will change something.

I cant wait to see what you create next, if you're selling it... chances are, I'll buy at least one! and if you're just reviewing it, chances are it will heavily influence my decision!

Good luck, Keep Smiling.

To the new Mgt: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont diminish Headroom's quality products to save a few bucks. Keep bringing us ultra-high quality, made in the good-ole-US-of-A products that we're accustomed to. :)

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #39 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyll Hertsens /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You guys still have HeadRoom as a quality retailer, and me with whatever crazy ideas I come up with next.

So -- and I suppose this is a question for someone other than Tyll now -- is HeadRoom still in the amp-designing business (so will eventually have new products there), are you just going to keep selling the existing line, or are you getting out of manufacturing altogether and only selling third-party things?

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #40 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll,

I know there will be responses stating "nothing will change" but the facts are, you wont be there and that will change something.

To the new Mgt: PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE dont diminish Headroom's quality products to save a few bucks. Keep bringing us ultra-high quality, made in the good-ole-US-of-A products that we're accustomed to. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkozlows /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So -- and I suppose this is a question for someone other than Tyll now -- is HeadRoom still in the amp-designing business (so will eventually have new products there), are you just going to keep selling the existing line, or are you getting out of manufacturing altogether and only selling third-party things?

Yep, absolutely things have changed--wouldn't try to tell you otherwise. In all of this, we need to acknowledge that there is, and has been for many years, a team of really good people at HeadRoom. We continue to work together--we've lost a few, and we'll gain some as time goes on, but that's part of business. They've contributed significantly to our own manufactured products, our retail products, especially to our daily customer interaction, etc. etc. I think Tyll would whole-heartedly agree.

So, it definitely is the end of an era at HeadRoom without Tyll here. But, it's also a new chapter for HeadRoom, and a new chapter for Tyll. Our task is to continue to do things well, and hopefully, even better than we have in the past.

2009 was very much about selling better through our website. Late in the year, Jamey rejoined our team and is now very focused on our next gen of products. He'll work closely with the manufacturing team, and will have engineering and design help. I expect he'll want to consult with Tyll as part of that. We're excited about the possibilities and to answer directly, yes, we will continue to introduce high-quality electronic products at HeadRoom. The current line is very strong for us, but we won't rest on our laurels...things are already in the works.

We'll also continue what we've started with significant, ongoing work on our website. We're very much an online retailer and that's not going away. Lots more to come there that we're also very excited about.

So, stay tuned and thanks for your support!

Travis

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #41 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by markkr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll,

I read your reply above... and still think the "new management" is making a mistake by losing a famous face in this community. Especially in a community that relies so much on trust and word of mouth. A perfect balance sheet, might not equal such an extensive and reliable customer base.

Personally (and quite frankly) I might second guess my future purchases of the next generation of Headroom products that will not have your input. I know there will be responses stating "nothing will change" but the facts are, you wont be there and that will change something.

I cant wait to see what you create next, if you're selling it... chances are, I'll buy at least one! and if you're just reviewing it, chances are it will heavily influence my decision!

Good luck, Keep Smiling.

beerchug.gif
fine words man! and travis,thanks for the comment and I also can't wait for the new generation products to come.

Apr 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM Post #42 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Travis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yep, absolutely things have changed--wouldn't try to tell you otherwise. In all of this, we need to acknowledge that there is, and has been for many years, a team of really good people at HeadRoom. We continue to work together--we've lost a few, and we'll gain some as time goes on, but that's part of business. They've contributed significantly to our own manufactured products, our retail products, especially to our daily customer interaction, etc. etc. I think Tyll would whole-heartedly agree.

So, it definitely is the end of an era at HeadRoom without Tyll here. But, it's also a new chapter for HeadRoom, and a new chapter for Tyll. Our task is to continue to do things well, and hopefully, even better than we have in the past.

2009 was very much about selling better through our website. Late in the year, Jamey rejoined our team and is now very focused on our next gen of products. He'll work closely with the manufacturing team, and will have engineering and design help. I expect he'll want to consult with Tyll as part of that. We're excited about the possibilities and to answer directly, yes, we will continue to introduce high-quality electronic products at HeadRoom. The current line is very strong for us, but we won't rest on our laurels...things are already in the works.

We'll also continue what we've started with significant, ongoing work on our website. We're very much an online retailer and that's not going away. Lots more to come there that we're also very excited about.

So, stay tuned and thanks for your support!

Travis

Travis,
Thanks for answering the questions about the direction that HeadRoom is heading. Tyll and co. have built up an excellent reputation for the company that many of us headphone geeks look to for great products and advice. You are embracing something that is very important to us head-fiers and that is keeping the lines of communication open regarding HeadRoom even with the major changes that have occurred. This is something that Tyll did very well. Please keep up the good work. You have big shoes to fill, but if your business sense helps move the company forward as a retailer and as quality electronics manufacturer, then the head-fi community will be well-served. We can only hope that somewhere underneath it all, you possess some headphone geekness and enthusiasm as well.
smile_phones.gif

Cheers,
Tom

Apr 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM Post #43 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubu1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Travis,
Thanks for answering the questions about the direction that HeadRoom is heading. Tyll and co. have built up an excellent reputation for the company that many of us headphone geeks look to for great products and advice. You are embracing something that is very important to us head-fiers and that is keeping the lines of communication open regarding HeadRoom even with the major changes that have occurred. This is something that Tyll did very well. Please keep up the good work. You have big shoes to fill, but if your business sense helps move the company forward as a retailer and as quality electronics manufacturer, then the head-fi community will be well-served. We can only hope that somewhere underneath it all, you possess some headphone geekness and enthusiasm as well.
smile_phones.gif

Cheers,
Tom

Tom,

Will definitely try to keep the lines open. As for headphone geekness and enthusiasm, well, it's been an interesting year for me
smile_phones.gif
. I'm very much still in 'discovery.' A little over a year ago, words like impedance, op amp, and jitter didn't mean a whole lot. And I certainly didn't know you could describe sound as 'warm' or 'muddy.' But, it's been fun and I am thoroughly enjoying myself. CanJam last year was a big eye opener to me into the community, and I appreciate the sincerity and passion that goes with it. HeadRoom has a great foundation to build on and I am very, very optimistic. Appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!
Travis

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #44 of 61
PS Someone posted a crappy version, just wanted you all to have the full Monty.

264283122_8chgP-L.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Tyll=headphones.

You brought us the headphone tour, sparked/supplied meets and always had cool hawaiian shirts. Now this last photo.............
redface.gif

Apr 8, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by lextek /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tyll=headphones.

You brought us the headphone tour, sparked/supplied meets and always had cool hawaiian shirts. Now this last photo.............
redface.gif

This isn't the last we've heard of Tyll and headphone shenanigans I'm certain! That said, can't wait for CanJam.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back