Thanks so much Headfi - 1,500 posts!!!!
Feb 20, 2006 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

LFF

Co-Organizer for Can Jam '09
Member of the Trade: Paradox
I curse you and I love you Headfi.

Well, here I am….finally. 1,500 posts and I am sure there will be more to come. I began to think about what I would do to commemorate such an event. I really couldn’t come up with any ideas until I was about 5 posts away. Well, now that I am here I have decided that I would show you guys just how much my life has changed since I came to headfi – a before and after if you so wish to call it that. Enjoy.

Before Headfi: Here are pics of my gear.

Mt DAP (had a whopping 64MB of memory and I encoded my music at 96kbps):
Apr05-MP3-Fig1.jpg
and this is what I was using for “hi-fi” cans:

g42.jpg

I still have my lyra too.

Then, while I was researching “speakers” on google I ran into headfi.

This was my home “hi-fi” rig (the joys of college and no $$$):
MVC-125F.jpg

Just before POST 0:

Same portable rig as above, but I had been given a gift for helping paint a house. I now had a home rig:

My first hi-fi home rig:
111-1154_IMG.jpg

Everything, except the pre-amp was free. I snagged a McIntosh C26 preamp from ebay for ~$250.00 and I had put together my first hi-fi rig. The speakers were not sounding so great. I was not too happy.  So I purchased some Sony MDR-200 headphones to relax and listen. I decided to save up and buy some new speakers, so I began to research. I went over to the computer and googled “speakers”

HEADFI – the lurking begins.

So I find this place called headfi. Headfi, headphones – WHAT $200.00 HEADPHONES!!!!
eek.gif
eek.gif
These people are crazy!!! Who the hell spends that much on headphones!!!! Yeah right – I want some speakers. What – there are headphones which cost over $500.00???!!!?!?!?!?! NUTS!!!
eek.gif

HEADFI – the lurking continues.

So I start to wonder about the people here at headfi. I have now been lurking for about 2 months. The people seem very nice. They seem very polite and well educated – that figures – who else would spend that much money on headphones. What dorks!
tongue.gif

HEADFI – A twist of fate.

So I have saved up $700.00 for speakers. Damn those speaker companies. I wish I could get some great sounding speakers for under $1,000.00. I am growing very impatient. The people at headfi are raving about how headphones sound better than speakers. Could they be right? Could these polite and very well educated people be right about that?
confused.gif
Holy crap!!! What is that? That is the most beautiful headphone I have ever seen!!! What is it called? RS-1? Cool! I wonder how it sounds??? The people here say it’s great for jazz. I love jazz. Hmmm. Wait more months for speakers or take a chance???
confused.gif

HEADFI – I take a chance (post count 0)

So I muster up my courage and order some RS-1’s. Five days later I get these in the mail:

DSC_0004.jpg

I am anxious to listen to them, but I remember that people on HEADFI say that burn in is important. Hmmm. I resist the urge and burn them in for 1 week.

After 1 WHOLE AND LONG week I put the CD player on pause, que up my favorite Louis Armstrong track, put my RS-1’s on and hit play.

HALLELUIAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
rs1smile.gif
I have never heard music sound so good. The bass, the voices, Ella’s voice. I am simply floored. WOW! I guess the people at Headfi know what they are talking about. This is simply awesome!!! Wait, they said a headphone amp will make it sound..better???
eek.gif
confused.gif
Better than what I am hearing and what’s this? Porta Corda Group buy??
evil_smiley.gif
For registered members…I must register!!!!!
icon10.gif

Headfi – post 1

I register and I put in my money for a Porta Corda. I get all the usual greetings and feel welcomed into the group.
icon10.gif

Headfi – post 100

By this time I had my RS-1 and I had my Porta Corda. I was very happy. My DAP was now a 40GB Creative Zen. True audio bliss. I was very happy.
icon10.gif
Screw speakers!
tongue.gif

Headfi post – 500

I post a small summary of what I have done.

Quote:

Since the very onset of my journey here, I started to reap some benefits from this wonderful community. Since then I have hosted a major meet, gone on a factory tour, participated in other mini-meets and I have met many other headfiers here and there. More importantly, I have made some really good friends. Since joining, I have graduated from a major university, been promoted at work, been to Europe, been promoted again and am currently working on obtaining a higher degree. The downside (depending how you look at it) is that I have spent a TON of cash on headphones and headphone related gear and music.

I wake up to music which I love. I go to school and work enjoying my music with a pair UE-10 Pro’s. At the end of the day there is nothing I enjoy more than coming home and putting my RS-1’s on and fading into the music. Moreover, I am now considering getting some Grado HP-1000’s or a HP-1000 hybrid from Larry at Headphile. The bliss never stops here (the spending doesn’t either)!

icon10.gif

Post ~700

I now own HD-600’s, HD-650’s, HP-2’s, RS-1’s, porta corda II, HPA-1 and SR-60’s. I have a new McIntosh preamp in my main rig and I have upgraded my source to a Denon 1560 CD player and a Sony CE595. I also have finally found the right speakers after years of searching – JBL 4311’s.
icon10.gif

Post 1,500

Well – here I am. A little over a year as a registered member and almost 2 as a lurker and member. I have been to two local meets and many mini-meets. My headphones include Ultimate Ears UE-10 Pro's, Grado HP-2, Grado PS-1000, Grado RS-1, Grado HF-1 #69, Grado HF-1 #22 w/ headphile recable and woody cups, Senn 600, Super.fi Pro's, Super.fi Eb's, Grado SR-80, Grado SR-60 and Shure E3c’s. I still have my porta corda but this is my new portable rig:

DSC_0005.jpg

I now use a RSA Hornet as my portable amp. I have a 60GB Video iPod with lossless files or MP3 320kbps on it. I have amassed a collection of over 1,600 CD’s and many SACD’s. I have a very serious relationship with my girlfriend and I am in law school. My girlfriend says I even spend too much time on headfi sometimes and my friends think I am crazy for buying headphones worth more than $50.00.
basshead.gif
tongue.gif

I hope my journey continues and I thank all of you, especially Jasper994, BRBJackson, Edwood, RX7_Fan, Petery83 and Ray Samuels for making me feel like I belong.

Thanks headfi.
icon10.gif
rs1smile.gif

2,000 posts

Well people, this is officially 2000 posts. What has changed since becoming a Headphoneus Supremus? Not much. I have not recieved any new gear but I have some on the way which will be for review purposes!
icon10.gif

Thanks again headfi.
icon10.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:12 AM Post #2 of 43
SWEET - I AM NOW AN OFFICIAL "Headphoneus Supremus"!!

Bow down before me all you 1,499 posters and under!!!
tongue.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:27 AM Post #4 of 43
congrats!!!

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #5 of 43
Congrats on the milestone and attendant title, and nice post to commemerate the event! It's always fun to read someone's personal ugrade (or for some of us, "collecting") history and the stories that go along with it. It's also nice to know that you're enjoying the site and making friends along the way.

Feb 20, 2006 at 10:56 AM Post #6 of 43
Congratulations sir! Welcome to the Mile High Club, you are now free to perform indecent acts in the Head-Fi restroom
tongue.gif

<passes a fat cigar to [size=medium]LFF[/size] and pats him on the back>

Feb 20, 2006 at 11:08 AM Post #7 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF
SWEET - I AM NOW AN OFFICIAL "Headphoneus Supremus"!!

I wish I was a "Headphoneus Supremus", but alas I am stuck in contributor limbo.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif

Congrats on the 1500th post.

Feb 20, 2006 at 2:18 PM Post #9 of 43
Congrats!

Nice move skipping all the way to the RS-1s.
rs1smile.gif

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #12 of 43
Congrats on the milestone!

I second Kiwi's comment...going straight for the RS-1 as your first significant headphone purchase, wow!

Seems like life is really going well for you...enjoy every day man.

Peace,

Graz

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:16 PM Post #13 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by nabwong
What's contributor's limbo?

Look at my title. It is still at "member". If you become a contributor the title seems to get stuck at whatever its at. I don't know if this is still the case because now when you become a contributor you just get a bold blue screen name and not the contributor tag.

Feb 20, 2006 at 3:19 PM Post #15 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by PsychoZX
Look at my title. It is still at "member". If you become a contributer the title seems to get stuck at whatever its at.

I saw that and I can not understand why you have not received the "Head..." I am a contributor but in the new system they only put your name in bold, they no longer use Contributor with the headphones. Contact one of the moderators to see if they can change it. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back