Thanks . I just wasted a third of my pocket money on two **** albums
Dec 8, 2006 at 8:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

]|[ GorE

500+ Head-Fier
After reading in some thread about "best albums of 2006" , i went and bought :
Return To Cookie Mountain and
Grizzly Bear - Yellow House.

My brain fails miserably to detect any melody or a logical sequence to the playing of instruments in most songs.

Waste,waste of my meager pocket money.COuld have bought some protein supplements from it.....

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #2 of 35
Use iTunes music store to smaple all music before buying. Both of those albums are there. Sorry this hint didn't arrive in time.

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:45 PM Post #3 of 35
Sounds like some blame in your post... I'm sure it's everyone else's fault?
rolleyes.gif

Dec 8, 2006 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 35
Yeah, that's the funny thing about opinions - they differ. So do tastes in music. The top album of the year for one person may not be the same for another.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 35
I've only heard TV on the Radio's single "Wolf Like Me" and it sounded terrible to my ears; badly mixed and sloppily written. It's just another style of music, though--one that depends more on "feeling" the sound than listening to the music, in my opinion.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:10 PM Post #7 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My brain fails miserably to detect any melody or a logical sequence to the playing of instruments in most songs.

You say that like its a bad thing.

Did you have any idea what the music was like when you bought them? Sorry dude, but you are 100% at fault. You obviously have access to the internet, so you have almost unlimited access to sampling the music.

Dec 8, 2006 at 9:38 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane
You obviously have access to the internet, so you have almost unlimited access to sampling the music.

Maybe he's on 56k? Although UAE is a pretty rich country, DSL should be easily available...

EDIT: Not that I agree with the OP, obviously

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:34 AM Post #9 of 35
Yeah, seriously, view this as a relatively cheap learning experience that should help you spend more wisely in the future. In this day and age there's no reason not to try anything you're unsure of before you invest.

As a sidenote, I also don't really see the appeal of TVotR. But since you bought it you may as well try and give it a few more chances and see if it grows, a lot of folks do seem to like it.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:51 AM Post #11 of 35
Try "I Wish I Was 18 Again" by Frankie Yankovic. He's the King of Polka, and should not be confused with Wierd Al Yankovic. The surname is completely coincidental, or so I think, but knowing Weird Al, I could be wrong.

http://www.amazon.com/I-Wish-Was-18-...e=UTF8&s=music

But if you're not 18 yet, it might be too early for this teasure.

Full disclosure:

I've not heard this or any of the rather amazing assortment albulms put out by Frankie Yankovic and the Yanks in their illustrious career together, although I did once hear them play at the beer gardens of a small city's centenial celebration when I was (oddly enough) about 18. If you're into Polka...

Come to think of it, I haven't heard any of Weird Al's albulms either but if anyone has some recommendations, I might be willing to roll the dice.

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:52 AM Post #12 of 35
Sorry for the rant.Didn't mean to insult any1.IT's just that the contrast between music choices came as a big surprise to me.....i mean if someone likes an album so much to call it his album of the year,shouldn't the average person atleast like the songs on it ?

And yeah,i am on 56K.Parents wont let me get ADSL..

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:16 PM Post #13 of 35
Quote:

i mean if someone likes an album so much to call it his album of the year,shouldn't the average person atleast like the songs on it ?

Absolutely not. In fact, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:13 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Sorry for the rant.Didn't mean to insult any1.IT's just that the contrast between music choices came as a big surprise to me.....i mean if someone likes an album so much to call it his album of the year,shouldn't the average person atleast like the songs on it ?

Maybe your way of thinking is applicable if the context in which we assume it to be is one where everyone only listens to mainstream, mostly pop music i.e the kind of stuff on TV, magazines etc. But it doesn't work when everyone has such broad range of tastes such as on forums like this. Why should anyone like anything off a particular album just because they think its great? Isn't it this diverse taste that makes music interesting?

Dec 9, 2006 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
TV On the Radio is an awfully good example of post-modern popular music. I think you're the one at fault here... try keeping a more open mind.

Wait, are you saying the OP doesn't have an open mind? Or are you saying that anyone with an open mind will like TV on the Radio? If it's the latter, I'm not sure having an open mind and having an opinion are mutually exclusive. Having an open mind just means you'll give something a chance, it doesn't mean there's an objective set of "good music" that you should enjoy if you're among the enlightened elite. There's no one "at fault" if someone doesn't like TV on the Radio. I think I have an open mind, I try out lots of new music, but there are many revered bands I can't stand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back