Thanks, Head-Fi
Oct 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rebel975

500+ Head-Fier
I just wanted to say that I've been pretty much a silent observer for a while now on Head-Fi. Reading threads about amps/DAC's/headphones/etc... things that I have never experienced.

However, because of Head-Fi I am currently experiencing the wonderful world of FLAC's and the Xonar Essence ST sound card. I also have a set of Ultrasone PRO 2900's (Still burning in) that I'm listening to music on and playing games on through the Astro Mixamp/Xbox 360.

These are relatively unknown headphones, however I made my decision based on the fact that the HFI-780's say something like "S-Logic- designed for use with Dolby Headphone"... so if the 780's are good, then the 2900's would be better in every way, yes? It doesn't matter. I don't need someone to tell me a made a mistake with buying these. As far as I can tell they are the best gaming headphones I have ever used, and probably ever will use.

So, I suppose Head-Fi didn't directly guide me to the PRO 2900's, but it got me the sound card, FLAC's, and just general headphone knowledge. So thanks.

Anyway, I'm going to post some pics here in a couple days when a friend of mine brings his headphones so everyone can see the "collection."  Three sets of "real" headphones + a couple pairs of cheapo's.  Maybe some comparisons too.

Oct 5, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 8
Welcome to our hobby. I think the overwhelming majority of us came here about the same and was amazed at all the accessories headphones have today. Most of us are speaker audiophiles that wanted/needed another option.

As with anything, if you're happy with your purchase, don't worry about what someone else thinks. It quells the upgrade itch.

Keep thick skinned and get a salt block for all the opinions and you'll have fun.

Now about that sound card for audio............
biggrin.gif

Get to a meet and see what your getting into. Tubes, cables, power cords, cryo-treatment, USB converters, I2S protocol, etc. are candy to a kid.

Oct 17, 2010 at 4:35 AM Post #3 of 8
Pictures, finally! Well, I don't have any of the "collection" as it were, due to a certain friend never bringing all of his headphones at once. However I did take some of the PRO 2900's for anyone that is interested.

headphone1.jpg

headphone2.jpg

headphone3.jpg

headphone4.jpg

Really quite impressed by them. The only complaint I would have is that they can be uncomfortable for me after a while. I think that this is probably because of my elephant sized ears, though. Oh well.

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #4 of 8
Awesome pics of the Pro2900's they look very nice. 

Oct 17, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 8
Thanks!  I'll add a couple more in about 10 hours when I get up for the day. I want to put up one that shows off the "quick swap" ear pads and the somewhat exposed driver underneath them.

Oct 17, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #6 of 8
Here it is. Exposed for the world to see.

headphone5.jpg

headphone6.jpg

Nov 13, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #7 of 8
I have a pair of ultrasone pro 900s and a xonar D2x and I noticed when playing games or watching movies that using dolby headphone, dolby prologic IIx, and DTS neo pc didn't really help the sound stage or directional sound at all.  Actually they made it worse and sound muffled with to much reverb and just everything was unclear.  I think S-Logic is supposed to eliminate the need of using DSP technology.  Try not using Dolby headphone or dts neo pc and tell me what you think?

Nov 13, 2010 at 5:56 AM Post #8 of 8
Well, it states on the website on the Hfi-780's that "The low frequency ranges are being risen in order to reach the highest possible synergies with DSP-Systems like DOLBY HEADPHONE™ and Yamaha SILENT CINEMA™." I have gamed with it off, and with it on, and it is most certainly more accurate with it on. However, for music and movies I leave it off.

Gaming on PC/Xbox = Dolby Headphone
Music/Movies = normal.

A quick example: Playing Fallout New Vegas without Dolby Headphone, I absolutely cannot tell front from back, only left from right. Nor can I tell at what distance something is to the left or right. With Dolby Headphone ON I can tell front/back/left/right and precisely at what distance.

I've noticed this as well on the Xbox via the Astro Mixamp.

Perhaps the PRO 900's are effected by it differently, as they are closed back design. The PRO2900's may react differently due to their open back design. I'm not sure, as I haven't tried the PRO 900's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back