Thanks Head-Fi! (you rotten SOBs!!)
Apr 30, 2007 at 11:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

nrfx01

New Head-Fier
Thanks Head-Fi!

It all started so innocently.. I couldn't stand my ipods 'buds, and after giving myself a budget of $50, started my search for the "ultimate all time ear buds"
Then i found head-fi.

After several hours of searching and researching, learning the difference between ear clips, ear buds, and IEMS, weighing the pros and cons about amps and interconnects and nearly $400 later:

5G 30gig Video -> ALO Cryo dock -> C&C v2 -> Super.fi5 Pro's

Thanks to you wonderful people, I now have some idea of what music is supposed to sound like. Who knew I needed a Home Rig and Portable one!!? You mean Bose isn't the end all in audio? (if ONLY)

Now I'm having trouble deciding if i want to delve into the Sennheiser, Grado or Beyerdynamic path to further my new found quest of audio enlightenment.

tongue.gif

May 1, 2007 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 21
It's too late to say "congrats, now run far far away and don't look back" so instead I'll say "Welcome to Team 'Curse You, Head-Fi!'"
very_evil_smiley.gif

May 1, 2007 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Only $400? Just wait..........

Great choices and nice setup
biggrin.gif

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
I can almost see some triple.fi's and a tomahawk in my future.. or some full size cans.. but then again, maybe i need a better source.. some new music might be nice.

May 1, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 21
find out what kinda sound you like... find your "optimal headphone", then build your system on it! hopefully you won't spend too much more money!

May 1, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #8 of 21
i'm at about 2500-3k

May 1, 2007 at 3:01 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfx01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I'm having trouble deciding if i want to delve into the Sennheiser, Grado or Beyerdynamic path to further my new found quest of audio enlightenment.

or? No, no, I think you missed something...
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMod is around the corner...
wink.gif
etysmile.gif

Err, i understand the iMod is just for 4g ipods? Would it be an upgrade to go back to a 4g iMod? I understand the purpose of the imod is to take advantage of the DAC in the 4g ipod right? Wouldn't it just be the same as slapping an ALO dock on the bottom of the 4g? PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong.. i still have a few bucks left...

May 1, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by nrfx01 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Err, i understand the iMod is just for 4g ipods? Would it be an upgrade to go back to a 4g iMod? I understand the purpose of the imod is to take advantage of the DAC in the 4g ipod right? Wouldn't it just be the same as slapping an ALO dock on the bottom of the 4g? PLEASE correct me if i'm wrong.. i still have a few bucks left...

The iMod is only for 4G ipods you are correct. While I haven't owned a 5G iPod, I have read many Head-Fiers accounts of how they sold their 5G and now have an iMod and it sounds better. The iMod bypasses all the stuff that Apple put in the line from the DAC to the dock connector and headphone jack. Instead Vinnie takes the signal from the DAC passes it via a high-end Black Gate Non-Polarized NX-Hi-Q coupling capacitors straight to the headphone jack which become a line out. The result is a true line out that requires an amp to control the volume, and basically a pure signal. Just slapping an ALO Dock connector would not eliminate the following:

Quote:

Taken from the RWA site:
Even if you use the very best iPod cable with your stock iPod, you are still not avoiding the serious degradation
of sound that results from the cumulative effects of the following "offenders" in the signal path:

The low quality stock SMT coupling caps after the Wolfson WM8975 DAC (used in all 4th gen. iPods)

Opamp output stage following the Wolfson DAC

The minuscule circuit board traces that travel from the top of the mother board down to the dock connector jack

SMD resistors and inductors directly in the signal path

The dock connector jack at the bottom of the iPod

The signal path inside the iPod dock, which contains: the dock connector plug, a very cheap ribbon cable, more minuscule pcb traces, SMD resistors, and finally the line out jack.

There are plenty of threads on the iMod and if you have any questions Vinnie is a great guy and will answer them. Where you spend those last few dollars is up to you. Whatever you spend it on make sure to research it well and then enjoy...as you have already started to do.
etysmile.gif

BTW I was just like you needed some dvise/wnted to do research on IEMS and you can see below in my sig how much Head-Fi has cost me...and boy is life better sounding now.
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #13 of 21
WAIT!!!! at $400 you are just getting warmed up.

Put this on your list:

- ETYMOTIC ER-4S with Sensaphonics Custom Mold (Total $600)
- Red Wine Audio iMod 60GB ($500 with 1200 mAh battery)
- ALO Wraparound LOD ($170)
- Xin's SuperMacro LE ($400 with option opamps)
- iVak Vakaadoo case for iMod ($30)
TOTAL: $1700

OR/AND

- UE-10 Pro ($1000)
- iRiver H120/140 ($200)
- Headroom MicroStack (MicroDAC & MicroAmp) ($600)
- Toslink Optical Cable + Adapters ($30)
- ALO Horse Shoe LOD ($140)
- 4 Maha 9.6V Batteries & Rapid Charger ($100)
TOTAL: $2070

THEN YOU THANK US.....

PS: Once you achieved the above, send a PM to jude and ask him to revoke your Head-Fi account and ban all possible IP you may use - run away from this place with your rig
blink.gif

Oooh I fell so evil now
very_evil_smiley.gif
plainface.gif
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WAIT!!!! at $400 you are just getting warmed up.

Put this on your list:

- ETYMOTIC ER-4S with Sensaphonics Custom Mold (Total $600)
- Red Wine Audio iMod 60GB ($500 with 1200 mAh battery)
- ALO Wraparound LOD ($170)
- Xin's SuperMacro LE ($400 with option opamps)
- iVak Vakaadoo case for iMod ($30)
TOTAL: $1700

OR/AND

- UE-10 Pro ($1000)
- iRiver H120/140 ($200)
- Headroom MicroStack (MicroDAC & MicroAmp) ($600)
- Toslink Optical Cable + Adapters ($30)
- ALO Horse Shoe LOD ($140)
- 4 Maha 9.6V Batteries & Rapid Charger ($100)
TOTAL: $2070

THEN YOU THANK US.....

PS: Once you achieved the above, send a PM to jude and ask him to revoke your Head-Fi account and ban all possible IP you may use - run away from this place with your rig
blink.gif

Oooh I fell so evil now
very_evil_smiley.gif
plainface.gif
biggrin.gif

YOU person!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back