Thank you so much! (Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE)
Mar 22, 2013 at 10:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Mimuis

New Head-Fier
I have been lurking here for a while now and today I took a big step and now I'd like to thank you guys for all the helpful information that put me in the right direction. I ended up getting the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE today and I'm very satisfied.

Here's the background story, it's long, so I'm not sure anyone will read it all, but I wanted to share it just in case (maybe it'll help someone with the same preferences and little experience I have). Just skip to the end for a summary!

I am a total audio noob, and to be honest most of what is said here especially when it comes to discriptions of sound, bass, treble etc is just hard for me to understand/imagine. English not being my native language doesn't help with this either. However I kept running into problems when listening to music and while gaming (needed some advice for both).

I like to have headphones to listen to music, as earbuds really hurt my ears and fall out because my ears don't have the right shape. In ear also isn't an option since I haven't been able to find a piece that actually fits my ears (all too big for my little girls ears!) and I don't want to spend that much on them. I rather go for full headphones instead, since I don't mind looking silly when I'm outside and I don't have problems wearing headphones on top or over my ears for hours at a time. I guess my head and outer ears aren't as sensitive as the inside. I wanted a pair that was cheap (for when I'm walking my dog etc) but still decent sound quality for that price, so I could abuse them without feeling guilty and replace them when needed. I got the sennheiser HD202 and loved them. They worked perfectly for two years and suffered a lot without complaining (rain, wind, me sleeping on them several times even accidentally chewing on the wire... You get the picture). This week after almost two ears they died on me but they served me way beyond expectations considering what they had been through.
At the same time I have been looking to find a decent (seperate) headset for gaming (Xbox & pc). I was sick of not having the full experience on Xbox and wanted to buy a headset that would not only give me voice chat, but game audio too. The only thing I could find here at the time was the Turtle Beach X1. Not many people had them but I wanted to give it a try. I was surprised how it changed my game completely and loved it. Unfortunately I experienced that they were a piece of crap soon afterwards. More of my friends bought Turtle Beaches and every single on of them would break down within a year in some way. (I must add that these took no abuse at all! They were loved and cared for!) the cables would break and they had some bad hissing for a lot of us, but the worst thing was the cheap plastic that actually snapped on THREE of the Turtle beaches I owned (X1, X11 & X12 and same thing happened to my best friend).
By that time I was hooked though, so I kept buying them in deals because going back was not an option. Luckily they started selling Trittons over here and I got myself the AX720 which were a lot better quality wise. The sound was clearer, the plastic not as cheap and positioning better. But they lacked bass, seriously lacked compared to the crappy TB's and that's when I learned that I love bass. I rather lose a few times more with fun sound than win every time and not get sucked into the game as much. Plus I believe you're not supposed to hear footsteps anyway when a grenade explodes close by. I was still not satisfied, so I kept looking to find better options. Never another Turtle Beach, but something more to my taste than Tritton (though they're still as good as new after two years of heavy use). I read and heard about the Astro A40 a lot, but I didn't just want to spend €300,- on importing something I couldn't try out, so I started to read online to find out more about them. Diving deeper into the subject I found out a lot more about them, mainly about how the mixamp is pretty good for Xbox but the A40's aren't all that, and also with little bass since they are made for people who want to hear footsteps over bombs dropping.
Then I read about the Astro mixamp & Sennheiser PC360 combination, which seemed to fit a bit better and I actually got excited about this one. I've had a couple of (cheap) Sennheisers over the years and never any complaints, so I'd be willing to take a leap with them more than an unfamiliar brand. Looking into these on some gaming forums, someone posted a link to the gaming set up guide here, and a new world opened up to me! I never knew there were so many options available! I went ahead and order the Astro mixamp (wired 2013) in January, since they were out of stock anyway I figured I'd better pre order while looking for the right headphones/headset.
I've spend quite a few nights browsing here and reading through reviews, discriptions and the guide and couldn't decide. I had a couple of options left in the end, and actually thought of going with the PC360 when I found they were out of stock in the whole country (unless I'd pay €220,- instead of the normal €150,-) I waited for three months, but still nothing. Then my HD202 broke this week, and I came here again to see what I could replace them with (again, something equally cheap so I don't have to worry about them breaking). I almost went to the shop to get a new pair of HD202 or possibly the HD419 until I remembered the game set up guide here, and how I could also go with a pair of headphones and a clip on mic to go with my Astro mixamp AND at the same time have some better sound when listening to music at home for once. After that my whole plan changed and I went back to the drawing board. I realised I could get my bass and fun sound for games AND music that way (I like electronic mostly, with some rock and alternative). I read up on tons of different combinations and today I went out to the shop to try out my options. My top choices within my €180 budget were the sennheiser HD598 and Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro LE (32ohm so I can also use it on a portable device, or so I've been told :p). I loved the look and feel of the HD598 a lot, and the detachable wire too, but wasn't as happy with them being open. However I absolutely loved the sound of the DT770 so I got those. I hooked them up to my Astro mixamp and decided to put on some music. I can tell you I've never heard anything like that. Ofcourse I don't really have any reference, and certainly never listened to anything that's actually high end or professional quality, so to my untrained ears almost anything would be a huge improvement, but I've hardly ever enjoyed hearing anything as much as what I heard today. I'm still extremely excited, and playing a couple of games made it even better. It's so much FUN! Right now I don't even listen to the game at all since I can't help but play music while gaming, and it's so awesome that I don't need stupid footsteps to win games, the excitement of fully getting into the music makes me go with the flow if it and have a great time! Tomorrow I'll get my clip on mic delivered and next month I'll go out the get another pair of heavy (ab)use/outside headphones because this one will be cherished and definitely not leave the house.

So here it is... Starting of with being annoyed by bleeding ears and crappy sound from stupid earbuds while walking outside and frustrated with the horrible Turtle Beaches while gaming, to being over the moon with my DT 770 PRO LE's. I'll never be an audiophile like the people here, but I've learned a ton from you guys and found exactly what I want and need within my budget thanks to your great guide and all the reviews and comments. So THANK YOU!

Edit: fixed some of the auto correct changes, but think I still missed a few, hard to see on my phone, sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back