Thank you Head-Fi...
Nov 1, 2004 at 3:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Asterix

Banned
I just thought about saying a big, warm 'thank you' to Head-Fi while listening to one of my favorite Charlie Parker recordings on my new headphone setup. This is magic. I wouldn't give this up for anything (except a better setup.) The synergy between the components is stunning to my ears. I am rediscovering all my jazz albums, hearing more detail, more warmth, and more tone than I've ever heard before in a hi-fi system. My only gripe is the missing high end which doesn't give for a very realistic sound when it comes to natural harmonics and overtones (ring.) So it's not perfect but at the same time it's so much more than I ever expected, and is well worth the $1100 I put into it. I still have yet to change out the stock EL84's in the amp, mod the cd player, upgrade the headphones cable, etc. so I expect improvements down the road!

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 11
Things will only get better with some tuberolling.
wink.gif

Nov 1, 2004 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 11
I feel fortunate that my old Luxman integrated amp also uses 12AX7's. It had three kinds in there, a Mullard, 2 Matsush!tas, a General Electric, and 2 which I could not identify or use because they were wired to the circuit board and covered with some sort of plate. I was amazed at the difference in tone that I got from using the different tubes. It was rewarding to experiment with each one and choose the one I liked the most (which was the Mullard, with the stock JJ coming in second) I can't wait to switch out the other tubes.

Nov 1, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
My only gripe is the missing high end which doesn't give for a very realistic sound when it comes to natural harmonics and overtones (ring.)

It's because the HD650 isn't completely broken in yet so the sound is actually covered and the high end recessed even you feel it's satisfactory already.
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 2:19 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by mulveling
However, after several hundreds of hours my 650s still do not have nearly as much high end as my 600s.

Nobody believed me when I said it didn't take just hundreds of hours to reach the final completely broken-in state. Pathetic.

Nov 2, 2004 at 3:14 AM Post #7 of 11
Actually I don't think it's the headphones that are the problem so much. Also they are fairly well broken in by now, since I got them earlier than the other stuff. And then I was using them with my old amp and cd player and if anything I was complaining about TOO much high end. Compared to my 580's they seemed more forward in the treble and it led to some fatigue. With the new cd player and amp this is all much more balanced. The sound is smooth without the harsh treble I was complaing about before. But now, there seems to be portions of the sound that are missing. I believe this is a result of the CD player, which seems restrained that way (I tested it on different setups,) and the amp, which generally has a roll off in the treble but it does depend a lot of what tubes you pick (and I'm not done tube-rolling yet.) All in all, I still really like it as my first headphone rig even if I couldn't improve these factors. The warmth, tone, detail, and silky smoothness in the mids makes it all worth it.

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:47 AM Post #9 of 11
I want to say I hate you head fi. I have just ordered and paid for yesterday. DCS delius/purcell for redbook cd and a Musical fidelity tri-vista SACD for sacd playback and to be combined with the DCS for redbook playback. You thought that was it, hell no I also ordered Nordost Valhalla 1.5m XLR interconnects. And I have still yet to order a high end amp and headphones yet. They weren't joking when they said sorry bout your wallet line.
tongue.gif

It will take a week for all the bits and bobs to arrive. When they do I will take some pics and post them up for you meanies!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Nov 2, 2004 at 8:49 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asterix
I just thought about saying a big, warm 'thank you' to Head-Fi while listening to one of my favorite Charlie Parker recordings on my new headphone setup. This is magic. I wouldn't give this up for anything (except a better setup.) The synergy between the components is stunning to my ears. I am rediscovering all my jazz albums, hearing more detail, more warmth, and more tone than I've ever heard before in a hi-fi system. My only gripe is the missing high end which doesn't give for a very realistic sound when it comes to natural harmonics and overtones (ring.) So it's not perfect but at the same time it's so much more than I ever expected, and is well worth the $1100 I put into it. I still have yet to change out the stock EL84's in the amp, mod the cd player, upgrade the headphones cable, etc. so I expect improvements down the road!

Dude save yourself while there is still time. Do not succumb to the dark side or suffer the same fate as I
tongue.gif

Mar 27, 2021 at 12:47 AM Post #11 of 11
I’m glad you’re listening to those old jazz recordings.

Old jazz albums especially from the late 50s and 60s sound so good on a tube amp. Even though the recordings are flawed and the mix can be wacky, in some ways, I feel this genre time period is the BEST in audiophile recording history.

One of the reasons is that the Neumann U47 tube microphone was used a lot. This is considered to be the holy grail of microphones in the recording industry and many engineers lust after that mic. Also, during that era, it was the height of tube technology in recording studios.

Even today, a 1960s Chandler tube microphone preamp is still regarded as a top tier studio unit even by modern standards. It’s amazing how modern day engineers worship all that gear from that era.

So yeah, all that good recording gear can transfer into your stereo system and it can sound so good!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back