TF10's worth it?
Feb 11, 2011 at 4:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Rawratchu

New Head-Fier
Iv been looking at the TF10's on amazon for the past few months for 180 bucks. Are they worth the price? My past iems have been IE6 and the black monster turbines and a load of crappy stocked ipod ones. I'm afraid to throw out 200 dollars and be dissapointed. Any advice?

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #2 of 21
if you look around/wait a bit in the classified section, you can easily find a pair for $100-120 shipped but for $180, the TF10's are still a good deal, though it will depend on what you like in terms of the sound sig. from my experience, the turbines are greatly emphasized in the bass region while the tf10's are treble based phones. 

Feb 11, 2011 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 21
I really enjoy the turbines at times with certain music, but at times i cant just stand it because the bass is very overwhelming. The ie6 gave it that nice acoustic balance that the turbines didnt have. But the ie6s have died on me on the left phone and iv been already thinking about a significant upgrade. I really enjoy Classical, Acoustic rock, vocals, rock, intrumental gaming music and string instruments :D

Feb 11, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 21
I'm having a pair re-shelled soon. Overall, I really like the sound the TF10's provide. I find them very energetic and sound phenomenal when the volume is cranked up; although they tend to lose some body and impact when you play them as loud as a whisper, but I'm hoping the re-shell fixes this. Its on my frequent headphone rotation with my coppers.

edit: Just so you know, the bass on the coppers are more tame than the gunmetal turbines. Thats not to say they lack the deep extension; they dont. If you are looking for something with less boom, and dont crank the volume that much (I usually play my coppers between 5%-35% on my computer), they are a great pair of headphones. Otherwise, as I mentioned, I find the bass in the triple.fi's to have plenty of impact when cranked beyond 50%. I'm wondering if the bass drivers are a bit starved when played at lower volumes

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:07 PM Post #6 of 21
I'd buy my TF10s again in a heartbeat. Also, getting them reshelled into customs was the best $80 I spent. Now I can listen to them all day without aural or physical fatigue.

I do have to agree with Aleki, they are a little bass starved at low volume. Then again, I have no way of EQ'ing them on my Zune 8GB. A little EQ and/or a little volume really fills out the sound.

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #7 of 21
They are great IEM's especially with the Lune cable everything just sounds so good. Thinking of getting them customed by inearz/fisher

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #8 of 21
The TF10 pro's are biased to a V shaped equalised kind of sound.
Therefore, they impart a sense of liveliness and are particularly fitting for rock music.
The vocals though are not nice and tend to sound hallow and nasal, instrument seperation is great to the point of being artificial.
But overall, they are good value at today's prices.
Every once in awhile too often i pull them out for a listen just cause they are so fun. :)

Feb 11, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #9 of 21
I've had my TF10s for three months or so and I absolutely love them. The fit can be problematic for people with smaller ears but if you can get a good fit with them, they sound fantastic.

Feb 11, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
I've had my TF10s for three months or so and I absolutely love them. The fit can be problematic for people with smaller ears but if you can get a good fit with them, they sound fantastic.

Seconding the fit issue. I ending up doing the flip mod and using the Comply tips, but once done, they sound great.

Don't have anything to compare them to, but I think you'll love them if you can easily get a good fit.

Feb 11, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #11 of 21
I have all your iems right at this moment and the biggest difference with the tf10 is that it has really nice sparkling treble. I've always had a soft spot for great treble, so it was very likeable for me. Coming from the MS-Pro, which has amazing timbre and mids, the triple fi still managed to keep my interest with its amazing treble. The midrange is recessed in the sense that the bass is textured an impactful, while the treble is pronounced and sparkling.

Personally I listen on low volumes, so the bass sounds less pronounced, and I really love good treble. You might think it's V shaped if you listen otherwise.

Feb 13, 2011 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 21
the treble and bass are amazing, the midrange is also excellent, they are pretty revealing. the bass can go very low, it can go down to 20Hz pretty effortlessly, but I can hear it down to 16hz at moderately high volume (I have a testing cd and it performs very well until you get below 20Hz and above 14,000Hz, who really needs to hear that high?). they are also incredibly easy to drive (due to the balanced armature design), but they still benefit from a good source. the soundstage is surprisingly good for an iem, also if you can get a good seal then they can isolate like crazy (26 decibels).

the fit can be weird and it looks like you are frankenstein with 2 blue bolts coming out of your head, but the sound quality is excellent, even at $200.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 21

Quote:
the treble and bass are amazing, the midrange is also excellent, they are pretty revealing. the bass can go very low, it can go down to 20Hz pretty effortlessly, but I can hear it down to 16hz at moderately high volume (I have a testing cd and it performs very well until you get below 20Hz and above 14,000Hz, who really needs to hear that high?). they are also incredibly easy to drive (due to the balanced armature design), but they still benefit from a good source. the soundstage is surprisingly good for an iem, also if you can get a good seal then they can isolate like crazy (26 decibels).

the fit can be weird and it looks like you are frankenstein with 2 blue bolts coming out of your head, but the sound quality is excellent, even at $200.

I think the highs are limited to what your ears can hear, 14,000 isn't all that hard to reach for a pair of headphones

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 21

Quote:
Quote:

I think the highs are limited to what your ears can hear, 14,000 isn't all that hard to reach for a pair of headphones

well, balanced armature drivers have a lower maximum frequency than any other driver type (that I know of), it is advertised to have a maximum freq response of 17000Hz as opposed to skullcandies 20khz claim. I can hear the triplefis at 16.5kHz, however the volume response at this freq hits a dip. in fact I hear *something* at 20kHz with these headphones, but it is very quiet, at that level it is testing my hearing though.

but I trust UEs methodology, if they say it goes up to 17kHz accurately, I believe it, however it is only natural to have dips at high freqs.

this really is a useless argument though, if you regularly listen to music that is entirely above 12kHz range then god help your ears, it certainly puts the shimmer on the cymbals though. 
etysmile.gif

Edit: I would say that the cables are not worth the extra money, the stock cables are by no means amazing but they are not shabby either, also I do not believe in cables (I have yet to hear it, would love to be proven wrong), I think the re-shelling is a better use of your money (for a good fit) but I have not tried either with mine (broke as it is)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back