TF10 vs. Westone 3
Oct 7, 2009 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Onza

100+ Head-Fier
Owner of a TF10 but I'd like to get some understanding of how they compare to the Westone 3s Can anyone who has heard both these IEMs please give a comparison on the sound? I'd like to get information on how they compare across the low, mids and highs, as well as sound stage comparisons?

I've heard the W3s described as 'musical' headphones which make them sound v v appealing...

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 12
BASS: W3 is quite a bit more. Too much for me. Hurts the presentation. TFP's is superior. Not lacking in body or weight and very detailed.

MIDRANGE: Neither is known for their midrange but again I prefer TFP. TFP is a bit veiled however W3 is quite recessed which is worse. The true test for me is which sounds better with vocals and TFP sounds better with vocals.

TREBLE: Sort of a toss up. Both are very revealing and on the sharp side.

ERGONOMICS/COMFORT: W3 in a landslide.

Also, those that have used W3 with custom tips seem to think there is great improvement in the midrange which so many others find recessed.

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #3 of 12
thanks for these observation spyro, some interesting points there... do you own both headphones? what do you think about the sound stage of both of them?

Oct 7, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 12
I owned W3 for about 3 months and TFP for over a year.

Both have great soundstages. Pretty large for IEM's. W3's is slightly larger...it's excellent actually.

Another thing to point out on these two IEM's. I find TFP rather smooth and non-fatiguing due to it being on the dry and airy side. W3 is "wetter" sounding and quite crisper. Can be fatiguing on the ears at higher volumes for long periods.

Have you considered UM3X? It is more similar to TFP however the midrange and instrument separation is much improved. Ergonomics too, of course.

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 12
I own both IEMs. The Triple.Fi 10s have a much flatter response than the W3s which emphasize the mid bass. The Triple.Fi 10s have a deep bass kick which is missing from the W3s; it seems to be around 50Hz or lower, and I just love it. I find that the Triple.Fi 10s highs extend a bit further than the W3s. Both have excellent sound stages. Both have roughly equal sensitivity. The microphonics of the W3s are so much superior to the Triple.Fi 10s that there is no comparison. The fit of the W3s is superior in my ears which have relatively narrow ear canals.

I wouldn't give up either of them.

Tips: Triple.Fi 10s - Comply short foams. W3s - Comply long foams.

Oct 8, 2009 at 11:28 AM Post #6 of 12
I've read the UM3X over emphasises the mid range and it seems its low end response and treble response aren't as extended or as powerful as the TF10, which is a bit of a turn off for me.

I like the flat response of the TF10 plus the fact that they extend well in both ends. I just wondered if there were any other universals that extended this well on both ends whilst having solid mids.... I guess not?

Re-fit I never had any seal issues and I recently managed to get a near flush fit with the TF10 by switching the IEMs round on their cables and wearing them over ear style - I don't know why UE don't suggest this as the wearing style for these IEMs, its a much better fit

Jul 22, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #12 of 12
UM3X is better in every regard except, because it is a minitor it has a somewhat of a closed in feeling.  TF10Pro is mor open sounding.  That is literally the only difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back