TF10 first impressions
Dec 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #16 of 74
This may help only 1% or so, but I highly recommend you follow the included instructions exactly before you give up on the flanges.

My ears normally are a tough fit, but following the instructions worked!  They look ugly, but sound wonderful.

Dec 21, 2010 at 8:40 AM Post #17 of 74

Quote:
Quote:
i'm probably going to get flamed for this
but....anyone else getting tired with these posts (just got my tf10 they suck herp durp) or am i the only one?
personally, i really believe the tf10's benefit from a burn in.

Well, I haven't even heard mine as I'll get it as a Christmas present, and it just feels so bad to read constantly it's not even good :p but I'm still hoping...

You'll like them. I only got my hopes up and expected something out of this world hahah. but they sound great. comfort on the other hand . . I can't listen to these right now for over 30 minutes before they start bothering my ears (cause i have to push them in pretty good to stay..).. then again like i said these are only first impressions. without "burn in" these sound very similar to my ath-m50s, which i think says something about the quality of those phones. Anyway, I hope you enjoy them. They certainly do not sound bad. not what i would expect from top tier iems though, as well as lacking in the comfort department. but who knows maybe its something you get used to

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #18 of 74
I had no issue getting a good fit with the included medium silicone tip that was on it when I took them out of the incredibly cheap looking box. I absolutely love them. The detail is terrific and the quality and quantity of bass is very satisfying. The biggest thing I noticed was the intensity of the impact (the sound of the stick hitting the drum). Anyway, after reading about the problems and solutions getting a fit I tried some alternate tips. The Sony Hybrids work well. The JVC Marshmallow tips work very well. I also tried some Meelec bi-flange tips (I think they are from an M9 but they may be from an M11) and they are very comfortable. Each alters the sound just slightly. I am settling on the JVC tips for the next week or so.

Dec 21, 2010 at 1:26 PM Post #19 of 74
just got mine from the amazon sale.
surprisingly these sound better than my RE0s.  my reference track is Backdrifts by Radiohead.

i do hate how these fit in my ears though.  they hang rather than sit in there like the RE0s, which i cant tell are there most of the time. 

i'm using the biflange stock tips from the RE0s though as i find they give me the best fit with any IEM.

Dec 21, 2010 at 7:20 PM Post #20 of 74
the burn in actually helped and the discomfort is slowly going away.  

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #22 of 74
I too am risking serious flamage by saying this, but UE takes a risk when they do stuff like this (selling $300+ IEMs for $95). It's like if Safeway decided to blow out Opus One for the price of box wine and the people who normally bought the box wine say they can't taste much of a difference. With everything you buy, the closer you get to the best the more likely you will experience diminishing returns. This is exactly why many luxury brands stick to a policy of not discounting- because it can sometimes trash the brand. Also, the closer you get to esoteric items, the more likely there will be additional demands placed upon users- in the case of fine wine, a paper cup won't do; for a high performance car, above average driving skills are usually needed to fully take advantage of the machine's capabilities.

Dec 22, 2010 at 4:58 AM Post #23 of 74
I have posted this in several threads, but will say it again. If you are having fitment issues, an option is to get custom tips. I have had some ACS silicon custom tips made for my TF10's, and it's £95 (GBP) well spent. The fit is very comfortable (after getting used to fitting them which isn't straight forward to start with!), and the improvement in the sound is fantastic. I now get a consistent sound, with fantastic bass and huge noise isolation. Thoroughly recommended. 
etysmile.gif

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #24 of 74

Quote:
I just got my amazon tf10s in the mail and here are my first impressions.

Wow, the fit is awful. at first. Once you fiddle with them a little bit it gets better. the sound? Not what i would expect from supposed 400 dollar headphones. they sound just as good as my ath-m50. For the price though, im pleased with them so far. will post full review in a month or so

Quote:
I would expect the clarity, detail and tonality to be much better than the m50's. 

Funny I thought my M50s (modded) were quite better than the TF10.  People keep lumping these two together which is interesting to say the least.  To my ears the M50 has better quality bass, more forward mids and clearer treble.  YMMV I guess.

Dec 22, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #26 of 74
They all have the same end goal.  IEM - bud - clip-on - on-ear - over-ear, doesn't matter.  The end goal is to accurately reproduce the entire frequencies spectrum.  Dynamics, texture, level of detail, balance, frequency response coverage, etc. should all be done well.  The overall coloration of the device should be appropriate for the listener.

I do feel people should compare everything to everything else because the end goal is to find and use what fits us best.  In the end we may decide on a form factor we prefer, but there's no point to rule out full-sized cans if one is willing to use them.  My bro has the K702, and they do well.  There are certain things it does great and certain things it lacks.  I've had my eye on grabbing a D2000 at some point, but I really have little desire stepping into a large format device.  My bro has the Yuin G1A, and that does a lot of things really well and is a relatively compact form factor.

I really don't think the formats specifically offer more or less.  It's just that individual products vary a lot in what they offer, and including full-sized headphones simply adds that much more variety to the mix. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 3:34 PM Post #27 of 74
Maybe it's just me, but I think the TF10 is one of the most comfortable IEM I've owned. I have Turbines, UE metro fi 200v, M6, and some cheapy crap, but none of the can justify TF10 comfort level. I use the smallest silicone tips and I just shove it in my ear. It doesn't get fatiguing and start hurting my ear; I can wear them for hours without having the discomfort to refit them again. Or maybe it's because I have weird ears.

The TF10 I bought from the Amazon deal is currently at RMA. I believe I have a defective unit because they sound TOO warm; with bloated lower mids and non-existent highs until around 6KHz with my receiver amp, Xtreme Gamer, and other computers with integrated sound. However with my Clip+, the clarity is back. I think it has to do with the impedance or the crossover. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 5:38 PM Post #28 of 74
I think it's just you.  
smile.gif
  My fit with the TF10s was finicky.  

Quote:
Maybe it's just me, but I think the TF10 is one of the most comfortable IEM I've owned. I have Turbines, UE metro fi 200v, M6, and some cheapy crap, but none of the can justify TF10 comfort level. I use the smallest silicone tips and I just shove it in my ear. It doesn't get fatiguing and start hurting my ear; I can wear them for hours without having the discomfort to refit them again. Or maybe it's because I have weird ears.

The TF10 I bought from the Amazon deal is currently at RMA. I believe I have a defective unit because they sound TOO warm; with bloated lower mids and non-existent highs until around 6KHz with my receiver amp, Xtreme Gamer, and other computers with integrated sound. However with my Clip+, the clarity is back. I think it has to do with the impedance or the crossover. 

Dec 22, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #30 of 74
also, they do benefits from amping. Plugged into my P-51 they sound totally different,( instead of the headphone-out of the iRiver clix2) and every region is improved especially the mids which is quite laking on this iem. they are very sensitive so you can reach high level of sound through any source, but with amp the SQ really improved i mean not just slightly, it was very noticable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back