TF10 Cable "Failures"?
Dec 4, 2011 at 2:07 PM Post #16 of 31
Haha. I was flying from IAD to FRA about a month ago when the male end of the cable snapped right off.

When I got back to the US, I ordered a replacement cable from Logitech and it is broken too. I have tried it with several devices and sound cuts out if the "male end" of the cable is jostled just a little bit.

I am sending it back.

I am done with UE for a while.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #18 of 31
For anyone having problems, ANY problems, with their recently purchased TF10s from Amazon's Black Friday deal, I am interested in if they arrived in a black box with a velcro closure, OR in a blister pack?

I know of more than one person who received a defective pair of TF10s from the Black Friday sale.  They reported them as defective, and Amazon sent them out a new pair immediately, without even waiting for the defective pair to be returned.

The new pair arrived in different packaging and sound beautiful.  

Moral:
Keep a sharp eye on your new TF10s for the first 30 days.  Inspect them carefully before and after each use.

Dec 6, 2011 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 31
The cables do suck compared to my IE8s. The again they arguably have some of the best stock cables ever on a universal. Their cable is very pliable, and doesn't keep the "I've been wrapped up to long" look. I honestly like the ends of the TF10 cables and how they can bend around your ear, I think it's a good idea in theory but the overall material of the cable itself and the way it moves is quite bothersome. I actually find it slightly short as well. 

Dec 6, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #20 of 31
A short developed on mine going to the right monitor a couple months ago (less than a year after I'd gotten them) I'd been wanting an upgrade from the cable anyway (not in the hopes of improving the TF10's sound) for ergonomic and handling reasons because I always felt the TF10's cable was too plasticky and stiff for my tastes. I got an Effect-Audio crystal cable for around $35 on eBay that's a suitable replacement. I would still like something softer and more manageable but I'm fine for now.

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:33 PM Post #22 of 31

Quote:
I am also interested in this.....the cable is terrible....I decide to buy IE8 not TF10 just because of the cable. :frowning2:

That seems silly to me as there are many options to replace the cable...but ok.

As for the original question, I heard there was a change to the TF10 (not TF10vi) cable either last year or the year before from a straight jack to an L jack.  Maybe that has helped them from breaking.  I know personally I've had two TF10vi straight jacks break on me in the past 16 months.  I do carry my phone in my pocket so that pushes on the straight jack.   I've since replaced with the UE Custom cable (pre 9/10), and it's significantly more flexible and lighter, with a nice green tint to it :)

Jan 13, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #23 of 31
I must be in the minority on this because I like the stock cable on the 10's  It seems very sturdy and I don't know but the new "L" shaped jack might help a lot of the problems people were having with the old cable braking or ripping at the jack.  The memory wire works great and helps keep mine in place though I still have to adjust them or reinsert from time to time as the seal brakes on them every so often during long listening hours.

I do want to get a upgraded one with silver but does it really help bring the mids forward as many people say or does it not have that much of an affect?  Thats the only reason I would upgrade from stock.

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:23 AM Post #28 of 31
I just got the Fiio RC-UE1 cable for the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fis and they seem to be a much much more durable cable albeit heavier and with no memory wire. Sound wise, I did not notice any noticeable differences worth mentioning (Could be due to the fact I haven't listened to the stock cable in a long time). I went through about 3 stock cables before I simply gave up and stopped using them as the point where the memory wire touches the connector is prone to breakage after multiple uses, luckily Fiio came to the rescue! Here's a picture!

Jan 15, 2012 at 4:32 AM Post #29 of 31

Quote:
I just got the Fiio RC-UE1 cable for the Ultimate Ears Triple.Fis and they seem to be a much much more durable cable albeit heavier and with no memory wire. Sound wise, I did not notice any noticeable differences worth mentioning 

So was it worth it? 

Jan 15, 2012 at 5:17 AM Post #30 of 31

Quote:
So was it worth it? 

Too early to say. Cept its great to listen to these again, to me they are a level above the Klipsch X10s I acquired during this years Black Friday sale. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back