Testing for SPEED in IEM's - please participate in my test! [speed-metal / visual-kei / symphonic-metal / instrumental / electric-guitar shredding]
Aug 20, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #106 of 120
Time for a cleaner recording and upping the game a bit, 2:52 - 4:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuxKV2Gr6U&fmt=18#t=2m52s (acendead master solo) (click 480P)

Sony EX600, speed - 10 / 11 (best instrument seperation, cymbal crashes sound a bit digital, unusual tonality)

Sony EX700, speed - 9.25 / 11 (best tonality!, best viscerality)

Sony E888, speed - 9? / 11 (most natural vocals, very limited instrument seperation)

Hifiman RE0, speed - 7 / 11 (drums are far too quiet, zero tonality, low contrast/faded, very dull in this music)

Hifiman RE252, speed - 6.25 / 11 (most realistic sound, closest sound to a real concert, impressive!!
- however very two-dimensional and limited instrument seperation)

J-phonic K2 SP, speed - 9.75 / 11

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:26 AM Post #107 of 120
Time for a cleaner recording and upping the game a bit, 2:52 - 4:00 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abuxKV2Gr6U&fmt=18#t=2m52s (acendead master solo) (click 480P)

Sony EX600, speed - 10 / 11 (best instrument seperation, cymbal crashes sound a bit digital, unusual tonality)

Sony E888, speed - 9? / 11 (most natural vocals, very limited instrument seperation)

Hifiman RE0, speed - 7 / 11 (drums are far too quiet, zero tonality, low contrast/faded, very dull in this music)

Hifiman RE252, speed - 6.25 / 11 (most realistic sound, closest sound to a real concert, impressive!! - however very two-dimensional and limited instrument seperation)

J-phonic K2 SP, speed - 9.75 / 11 (best decay in the bass, a bit uninvolving, easy to yawn and dismiss the music)

Ety ER-4, speed - 9.75 / 11 (best air and decay in the highs, I think, no longer have it)

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:33 AM Post #108 of 120

Quote:
kiteki 9/24/10 said:
 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for chipping in ljokerl, you make good reviews too, now I have another 'phone to research, the Vsonic R02 huh?

CK10 sounds very appealing to me from your review of it, but not what I am after right now (too expensive for me), next expensive earphone on the list for me is just mdr-ex600 I think.

a general description and no scale rating is fine, I will compile a grand list from all input received later on.

/kiteki

Ha! It only took me 11 MONTHS to wind up with this thing, should have gone with my instincts back then! before it was even released!

Dec 18, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #111 of 120

Quote:

I just tried this, but with a 256 bitrate mp3 on the monoprice 8320 just for kicks. I'm pleasantly surprised...

note: this was straight out of a laptop with with a realtek sound card

Speed = 8 / 11
Instrument-Seperation = 3.5 / 5
Reverb = 3.5 / 5

Dec 18, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #112 of 120
Wow, quite liking Silent Knight and Ascendead Master for the music itself!

Jan 1, 2012 at 12:38 AM Post #113 of 120

Quote:

Hifiman RE0, speed - 7 / 11 (drums are far too quiet, zero tonality, low contrast/faded, very dull in this music)

Hifiman RE252, speed - 6.25 / 11 (most realistic sound, closest sound to a real concert, impressive!! - however very two-dimensional and limited instrument seperation)

J-phonic K2 SP, speed - 9.75 / 11 (best decay in the bass, a bit uninvolving, easy to yawn and dismiss the music)

Ety ER-4, speed - 9.75 / 11 (best air and decay in the highs, I think, no longer have it)

I've listened to this song. And I don't want to rate it out of 10 because I still think I'm inexperienced. But my HF5 was the fastest, followed by the EX600 and the FXC51 (which was also fast, btw). I've heard songs that are waaaaaay faster and the HF5 still owns everything in attack and decay to the point it does not sound natural and lacks weight, but that's ok.

But for instrument separation, the EX600 wins, it was much much better than the hf5 and the FXC51.

May 20, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #114 of 120
So, Aurisonics AS-2b's.....Here we go.
I can't not give these an 11/11 on Speed as they kept pace and nothing was blended together at all. Just solid performance in this category.
I also have to give the AS-2b's a 5/5 on the Instrument separation. I took a listen once or twice before starting to write my reply and had to take a third listen to make sure it deserved this rating, but i could hear everything, and so I feel it deserves this top score.
 Now for Reverb....Gotta give it a 5/5 or the Stadium rating. I literally heard everything and it was all separated out so perfectly, the soundstage was so wide while only coming out of my MacBook Pro HO jack. It was quite impressive. Thanks for helping me test my CIEM's, i think i'm gonna go jam out to the song now though, I really enjoyed it. :)

So, Recap:
11/11 on Speed
5/5 on Instrument Separation
5/5 on Reverb

May 25, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #115 of 120
Aurisonics ASG-1

10.5/11 for Speed. Feels like a better source and amp could push them a little more.
4.5/5 for Instrument Separation.
5/5 for Reverb. I used a different track for this (Frank Sinatra's "The Lady is A Tramp [Live]), and I actually heard echoes of Sinatra's voice.. I had goosebumps when I heard it.

May 25, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #116 of 120
That reverb assessment can't be taken into account like others can be. The whole idea of using this song is that it is the same for everyone, using a different song for that rating completely ruins the point. It is a great rating but doesn't have any usefulness is comparing the different IEM's to each other, since you used a different track for that rating. Otherwise, I'm impressed, I haven't heard the ASG-1's and have really been wanting to. 
Quote:
Aurisonics ASG-1
10.5/11 for Speed. Feels like a better source and amp could push them a little more.
4.5/5 for Instrument Separation.
5/5 for Reverb. I used a different track for this (Frank Sinatra's "The Lady is A Tramp [Live]), and I actually heard echoes of Sinatra's voice.. I had goosebumps when I heard it.

May 25, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #117 of 120
Ety er4s
(portable rig with Fiio E11)
9.5/11 Speed
4.5/5 Instrument Separation
The e11 definitely improves the attack and decay as everything sounds tighter.

(on my pc with Asus Xonar)
10/11 Speed
4.75 IS

Frankly, I was really surprised by my old philips she9850 and I'll probably give it 8.5/11 on speed although the highs aren't that great and the overall detail isn't that great, so the separation suffers.
And finally, just for kicks I tried my Razer Barracuda 5.1 headphones and I'll probably give it 5/5 for instrument separation but it's kinda cheating as my Asus card converts the sound to 5.1 and sends it separated to the 8 drivers, so it's much easier to pick up everything. It's too bad the razer has such bad speed and bass

May 25, 2012 at 5:11 PM Post #118 of 120
That reverb assessment can't be taken into account like others can be. The whole idea of using this song is that it is the same for everyone, using a different song for that rating completely ruins the point. It is a great rating but doesn't have any usefulness is comparing the different IEM's to each other, since you used a different track for that rating. Otherwise, I'm impressed, I haven't heard the ASG-1's and have really been wanting to. 

Just listened to the live version of Silent Knight; my ratings still stay the same.

May 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #119 of 120
The thing I don't like about the statement about the one song is that basing a headphone on one song is not really the best idea.  We don't listen to one song if we use headphones.  I think the speed test should actually use a multitude of songs to not only ensure that the speed rating is correct for one song, but to confirm it with the others.  Just my opinion though.

May 25, 2012 at 7:02 PM Post #120 of 120
Quote:
The thing I don't like about the statement about the one song is that basing a headphone on one song is not really the best idea.  We don't listen to one song if we use headphones.  I think the speed test should actually use a multitude of songs to not only ensure that the speed rating is correct for one song, but to confirm it with the others.  Just my opinion though.

I totally agree. Also, I wouldn't call the instrumentals in this song so fast that even a semi-dicent single BA can't handle and layer properly. Maybe it works for a semi-dicent test for how an iem handles fast string instruments but the drums are just slow except for a little speed boosts after around 3:27 and around 4:00 but frankly compared to Dragonforce the drums are mostly just slow and don't push the iems enough to show what they are really capable of. That's just my opinion though, so don't jump me please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back