Test yourself: What frequencies can you hear?
Jun 13, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #91 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigDee
I can clearly hear the 19k. I can't hear the 20k at all.

same here...which is strange because I have a test CD that goes to 20KHz and above and I know I can hear 20KHz...could be my crappy PC speakers.

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:16 PM Post #93 of 114
I remember doing something like this in a physics class in college two years ago. Thank god all this headphone listening hasn't knocked me down from 23k hz hearing *yet*
580smile.gif

Jun 13, 2006 at 11:19 PM Post #94 of 114
Age 55 and 13k at normal listening levels.

For those that hear above 20k could this be some harmonic or sideband below the value that you are playing?

Jun 14, 2006 at 1:24 AM Post #96 of 114
I'm a 15-year-old with moderate to severe tinnitus (it runs in the family; I listen at very low volumes), and I can hear only up to 15khz.
frown.gif
Anything past that, up to about 17khz, the ringing in my ears becomes slightly louder, but that's it.

Jun 14, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #97 of 114
Don't forget most computer sound cards have horrible comb filter effects. What some people are hearing are probably harmonic artifacts of the higher frequency. I've heard the same "decreasing tone" effect on my cheap soundcard. Go download a soundcard tester program that analyzes the loop back signal. You'll be surprised at the disturbing amount of generated harmonics.

I would burn a CD of tones and let your high-end CD player do the DA conversion.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #98 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by hozo
Don't forget most computer sound cards have horrible comb filter effects. What some people are hearing are probably harmonic artifacts of the higher frequency. I've heard the same "decreasing tone" effect on my cheap soundcard. Go download a soundcard tester program that analyzes the loop back signal. You'll be surprised at the disturbing amount of generated harmonics.

I would burn a CD of tones and let your high-end CD player do the DA conversion.

Yes, thank you. In Audacity I changed my sample rate to 96KHz and asked it generate a 30,000Hz tone and it was audible on my laptop speakers! Easily. Firstly, there is no way these laptop speakers can even play a 30KHz tone and secondly even if they could I shouldn't have been able to hear it.

I don't know about CD for this level of high frequency testing, I suppose burning as a DAD on a DVD and playing it in a high quality DVD player will help you play frequencies above 20KHz. Although I really doubt that many will need to even test that high in the first place.

Also for those of you raving about computer/laptop sound, please consider that you might enjoy your sound comb filtered.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:39 AM Post #99 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by hozo

Hmm, I guess thats why I can't hear the 16k sample and every sample after that is as loud as the 10k sample.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #101 of 114
funny. i can't hear 19k in linked site but can clearly hear it with the one here. anything above that i can't hear. i'm only 16. either i have a noisy enviornment right now or this is what new york subway does to your ears when you ride it for three years. sigh one more to go.

Jun 14, 2006 at 3:59 AM Post #102 of 114
Yeah i think those mp3s are no good.

LIke most other people here i can hear 19 and not 20. the 19 sounds way too low to be 19, and I'm fairly certain that my ears are good for over 20. Also, like someone else, I cant hear 16khz. I'm sure my ears are good for 16khz.

Jun 14, 2006 at 4:09 AM Post #103 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteShadow
Hmm, I guess thats why I can't hear the 16k sample and every sample after that is as loud as the 10k sample.

Yes. Your experience demonstrates this problem quite well. Also keep in mind that your equipment may be limiting you from hearing the 16KHz signal even if you are capable of hearing it.

The funny thing is that most laptops are limted by DACs handling a 48KHz sampling rate so even theoretically it shouldn't be capable of playing anything above 24KHz and in practice 22KHz.

Jun 14, 2006 at 8:24 AM Post #104 of 114
Lol, who put 25k? Liars.

Jun 14, 2006 at 8:28 AM Post #105 of 114
Quote:

Originally Posted by creyc
Lol, who put 25k? Liars.

rolleyes.gif
Try reading the thread, there's definitely sound coming out even if it's not 25khz which it most likely isn't. The fact that you can't hear it just proves what your hearing is like. It might be artifacts form the recording but it's not my source because if I stop my player there's no noise at all, when it's playing there's a high pitch "eeeeee".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back