TEST: Based on these frequency graphs, which headphone would you choose? 3 graphs included.
Oct 18, 2013 at 2:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Derpus-Maximus

New Head-Fier
So here are 3 frequency graphs, that each include 4 different headphones, depending on the graph, which one would you choose, i have removed the names to make it more challenging.
If you have made your decision please explain why you would pick this certain headphone.

Graph 1 :

Graph 2 :

graph 3

Have fun.

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 6
They look quite similar, don't you think? However the sound is miles away from each other. What I'm trying to say is not everything is objective in the hi-fi world. If you see the graphs of a Westone 4R you won't ever think in buying a pair. The LCD-2 and LCD-3 frequency response look pretty similar and still there's a 1000$ difference. Unfortunately of fortunately for some subjectivity matters in this world

Oct 18, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #5 of 6
You are correct.

I compared my HD558 with foammod to some other higher end cans, graph wise, some are very similar, sound wise completely different.
That is why i am curious what people will think when they see graphs like this.

But i am a total noob when it comes to sound/hifi, and my username describes me very well :p

Oct 18, 2013 at 8:43 PM Post #6 of 6
I'd choose none of them since I'm given no point of reference.

I wouldn't say the Hifiman and Etymotic look too similar. They seem to have a fundamentally different tuning; Ety going for their diffuse field thing and Hifiman for whatever that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back