Tesla T1 Vs. Lcd-2rev2
Jan 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM Post #91 of 97
Quote:
Has LCD-2 got more bass than T1 ?

Quote:

yes yes yes yes yes and YES!!!!!

what about lcd2 to hd650 warmth and coloration comparison, i ve read the battle of the flagships, but still cant figure out from the descriptions how those two cans compare in terms of warmth and coloration, from a quantity perspective? from what i could grasp the hd650 have more warmth while the lcd2 are more coloring?

Jan 8, 2013 at 1:43 PM Post #92 of 97
Quote:
i don't know why i didn't like the W5000s myself. i owned them for a while but didn't really enjoy them. they where off-sounding, lacked the detail of the T1/HD800/LCD-2, and had no bass. i liked my d7000 much more.

Sometimes I think that there are different versions of W5000 around as impressions are so polarized.
Out of what you mentioned I only own LCD-2 and D5000 (should be close enough to D7000) and Raffinatos at least in details area is a quite significant step up. We can argue timbre preferences but perhaps not details presence.
From my experience the fit is quite finicky with those, 90% user would have to bend the headband to achieve the proper seal, there is also a tip posted by BizKid (that actually was in his L3000 user guide) to rotate headband forward after putting phones on until ear pads "lock" on ears. Without proper seal they sound thin and lack impact.

Sonically they are definitely colored but in a very pleasing way.
Another puzzle is that almost everyone universally like W3000ANV, I haven't heard those, but based on some impressions they are behind W5000 in some areas
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630386/the-audio-technica-w3000anv-appreciation-thread/30#post_8775229
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630386/the-audio-technica-w3000anv-appreciation-thread#post_8752630
http://www.head-fi.org/t/630386/the-audio-technica-w3000anv-appreciation-thread/60#post_8783949
, which is not a big surprise as W5000 is still current ATH flagship.
There is a good (imo) comparison of two on Headfonia
http://www.headfonia.com/wooden-kings-w1000x-w3000anv-and-w5000/

I understand that DavidMaher ranked them at the very bottom of his chart and MacedonianHero doesn't like them as well and very vocal about that but there are plenty of seasoned headfiers who like and adore these. Another side of this hobby is that that there are no authorities you can "just trust" as everything is very subjective and highly depending on individual preferences.

As of right now LCD-2 are really growing on me, mostly because of their very natural timbre and outstanding bass, but as a package they really pale in A/B comparison against W5000, which to my ears is more advanced and does feel like a higher tier.

LCD-2 sound like advanced HD-650, perhaps same as T1 like advanced DT-880.
So if you are deciding between two, choose which of these middle tier cans you like better.

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:20 AM Post #93 of 97
Quote:

what about lcd2 to hd650 warmth and coloration comparison, i ve read the battle of the flagships, but still cant figure out from the descriptions how those two cans compare in terms of warmth and coloration, from a quantity perspective? from what i could grasp the hd650 have more warmth while the lcd2 are more coloring?

the LCD-2 is the more neutral of the two. its  clearly less warm and less colored. they do have a similar sound though. the hd 650 is smoother, sweeter, and warmer. 

Jan 9, 2013 at 3:10 AM Post #94 of 97
Quote:

LCD-2 sound like advanced HD-650, perhaps same as T1 like advanced DT-880.
So if you are deciding between two, choose which of these middle tier cans you like better.

Yep, anybody who own's an HD650 (which is a stellar can in my opinion if amped properly) and is upgrading to a similar sounding can but bit higher quality in sound aspects, any of the LCD2's will be the best next level upgrade.

Despite the T1's very high impedance loads, you need a fairly beefy amplifier to drive it properly and as I stated the DT880 600ohms offer 8/10 of the sound you hear from the T1's.

Quote:

the LCD-2 is the more neutral of the two. its  clearly less warm and less colored. they do have a similar sound though. the hd 650 is smoother, sweeter, and warmer. 

Couldn't agree more +1.

Jan 9, 2013 at 10:25 AM Post #95 of 97
Quote:

completely agree Dubstep Girl, I eventually sold my HD-650 because I never "warmed" up enough for them 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #96 of 97
Quote:

The biggest differences that I spotted was a bit more air between instruments in low mids on HD650 due to less meaty bass and perhaps more precise positioning. And that vocals could sound grainy sometimes on Senss, when on LCD-2 they were always silky smooth. Other than that they are very alike, except with HD650 I always felt that I am listening to headhphones as something was always just a little bit off when with LCD-2 it was very life like listening experience.
And one more, HD650 gets a bit blurry and sometimes mesh notes together on fast, complex parts (like some speed metal) when LCD-2 seems like never misses a single bit no matter what you throw at them.
I haven't noticed one being significantly warmer than the other but my HD650 is Zu recabled, if that matters.
As DefQon mentioned that DT880/600 is 8/10 of T1 sound, I can say the same about HD650 (on a good setup) and LCD-2, there are more similarities between them than differences. That's what HD700 should have sound.
smile.gif

Jan 9, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #97 of 97
The T1's can be had at Meier-Audio Corda (authorized dealer) for $995, and on Amazon (often, not always) for between $950 and $999. Amazon sellers labeled "fulfillment by Amazon" are authorized Beyerdynamic dealers. Although, they're less plentiful than the others. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back