Tesco price hike!!! Jaffa Cake supply threatened...
Mar 4, 2010 at 12:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

evilking

CAUTION: INCOMPLETE TRADES.
Tesco's Value Jaffa Cakes 24-pack was 38p, now 54p!

That's a 42% increase. The sheer scale of my consumption of jaffa cakes meant I hesitated today at the checkout, took a step back, checked my wallet, made sure I had enough to cover all 10[size=xx-small],000 [/size][size=x-small]boxes.[/size]

What the ****?

mad.gif

EK

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #2 of 24
Walgreens jacked up the price of the 4pk starbucks canned espresso to $9. It's the same price (or almost) one would get if buying them separately at an actual starbucks.

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #3 of 24
Hey, at least you don't pay tax.

Jaffa Cakes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:

Under UK law, no Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT, currently 17.5%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.
McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.[5]
McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #4 of 24
Probably due to the rising cost of cocao and sugar - raw products.

Our currency is going down the toilet. There'll be more and more rises in basic food bills. It's hard enough putting up with US$12 postage for a single vinyl LP - but the worse is yet to come (doom mongers leave me alone!!!)

I do like Jaffa cakes though. I don't know why I keep eating a whole pack in a single sitting though
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2010 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by evilking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tesco's Value Jaffa Cakes 24-pack was 38p, now 54p!

That's a 42% increase. The sheer scale of my consumption of jaffa cakes meant I hesitated today at the checkout, took a step back, checked my wallet, made sure I had enough to cover all 10[size=xx-small],000 [/size][size=x-small]boxes.[/size]

What the ****?

mad.gif

EK

They did WHAT????????????? Actually, I've never had their value Jaffa cakes
redface.gif

Are they better than Mcvities?? I hate Mcvities now, they're soggy as hell. They must have changed the recipe a long time ago, because I remember when the base had a nice crispy texture, before it got all sogged out with sog
frown.gif

I'm going to buy some value ones tomorrow... if you haven't cleared out all the stores!

Mar 4, 2010 at 3:04 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:

Under UK law, no Value Added Tax (VAT) is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are subject to VAT, currently 17.5%. McVities classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by Her Majesty's Customs and Excise and the case ended up before the courts.
McVities defended its classification of Jaffa Cakes as cakes, producing a 12" (30 cm) Jaffa Cake to illustrate that its Jaffa Cakes were simply miniature cakes.[5]
McVities argued that a distinction between cakes and biscuits is, among other things, that biscuits would normally be expected to go soft when stale, whereas cakes would normally be expected to go hard. It was demonstrated to the Tribunal that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale. Other factors taken into account by the Chairman, Potter QC, included the name, ingredients, texture, size, packaging, marketing, presentation, appeal to children, and manufacturing process. Potter ruled that the Jaffa Cake is a cake. McVities therefore won the case and VAT is not paid on Jaffa Cakes

Lol. I had to read that case in law school. Good times.

I've always been more partial to Sainsbury's over Tesco myself for groceries in the UK.

Mar 4, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #8 of 24
I'm not too familiar with British currency and I've been drinking a bit (a lot) this evening, but for a second my heart jumped as I thought you were paying 54 pounds for these cakes and then pence came to mind and I calmed down.

I probably shouldn't have admitted that, but I know, for example, in Canada we have cookies that taste like rectum (Oreos, Fudgeos, etc.) going for more than a Canadian dollar which in comparison is about what you're paying for these Jaffa Cakes. I'd hope they taste much better as they've gotten their own thread! Are they made within the UK or outsourced? If they're manufactured in either North America or South America, I may blame it on the recession... Or Nazis, those guys are always screwing the people.

Mar 4, 2010 at 8:34 AM Post #10 of 24
I was in Prague just two weeks ago, first stop after landing, a two-storey Tescos. The jaffa cakes were completely different, couldn't finish the pack. Hundreds of tesco branded products were eerily similar in packaging and content (honey roasted peanuts and cashews were exactly the same), some were even in english (aluminium foil).

My clubcard wasn't recognised at the checkout though (yes, I really tried it). Interestingly, the self service checkouts had a language menu, after selecting english, I was greeted with the same voice as UK tesco's checkouts. "Please scan your first item", "Unidentified item in the baggage area", "Insert cash, or select pay with card"...

biggrin.gif

EK

Mar 4, 2010 at 9:31 AM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by fraseyboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Similarly, the mince pies at my school have gone up from $2.50 to $2.60. Coincidence? I think not.

...Are you saying the Jaffa Cake peoples and the mince pies peoples are in cahoots with one-another? My God! This is bigger than anyone could of imagined!

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #13 of 24
ASDA Smart Price Jaffa Cakes are the future. Check them out.

Mar 4, 2010 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Armaegis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
confused_face(1).gif

Not quite. Lovely light cake base with an orange jelly filling and a chocolate coating. They really are good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back