Terrible Etymotic HF5's
Feb 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM Post #31 of 44
Ety's low end can be eq'd and they respond very well to it as a matter of fact. But in the end BA drivers will never produce the same type of impact and boomy sound dynamics can. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #32 of 44

Quote:
Etymotic's sound signature is very bright, especially if you are talking about the ER4 line (then it becomes almost unnaturally bright). It is just one of those IEMs that brings out every single detail you want to hear because of the brightness of it though. Thus, this is the reason why whenever people are coming from the CX series or the Skullcandies, I try to not recommend the Etymotic lineups. I came from the CX300 to the MC5 at first... and I almost wanted to tear the MC5 into pieces because it sounded so tinny compared to the CX300. Now I just love them though, I still use them despite having gained better IEMs over the time.

My point is... the HF5 isn't a bad IEM. I know it has a positive reputation for its price of value. But if it isn't a cup of tea then it isn't your cup of tea. You just like something warmer.

Though calling the Etymotic unnatural is... well... let's just say that the term "natural" is really subjective now.

Spot on description...My upgrade cycle was Skullcandies --> CX series --> MC5.

Same exact reaction to the sound of MC5's at first. I couldn't do anything either, because I bought them online; however, I have maybe a few more things to add.

MC5's needed a burn in time...Not even sure if it was really burn in, or me just getting used to the sound. They sound flat/tinny compared to the CX300...you know I really miss the cheaper IEM sometimes for their upbeat sounds. When I tried on the CX300 again (not too long ago), I could hear what the CX300 is missing. They are muddy, and exaggerated. The MC5s high's were just too good to compare to the CX300. I just can't see myself going back.

What I'm trying to say is, not everybody will like the Etymotic sound. It's something that you have to get used to. I'm used to it, but it just does not fit my style of music; however, I am stuck with them until I have enough money to spend on another pair of IEM's. I can hear exactly what people love about them. After using Etymotics for a long time, you will understand the concept of "fake sounds". And I really didn't see a lot about isolation, my MC5s make me impervious to outside noises.

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

What I'm trying to say is, not everybody will like the Etymotic sound. It's something that you have to get used to. I'm used to it, but it just does not fit my style of music; however, I am stuck with them until I have enough money to spend on another pair of IEM's. I can hear exactly what people love about them. After using Etymotics for a long time, you will understand the concept of "fake sounds". And I really didn't see a lot about isolation, my MC5s make me impervious to outside noises.

So what do you think sounds fake about the MC5?

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:51 AM Post #34 of 44

Quote:
Quote:

After using Etymotics for a long time, you will understand the concept of "fake sounds".

I think what obutto is saying is that once your ear/brain gets used to the Ety accurate sound, then it is easier to recognize the "fake sounds" produced by some other phones (esp, bloated bass).

Feb 9, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

After using Etymotics for a long time, you will understand the concept of "fake sounds".

I think what obutto is saying is that once your ear/brain gets used to the Ety accurate sound, then it is easier to recognize the "fake sounds" produced by some other phones (esp, bloated bass).

Oh, makes sense. If that's the case, I am sorry.
redface.gif

Feb 28, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #36 of 44
I just got a pair of the HF5, having owned a pair of ER6i for several years. Getting the 6i's in and out of my ears is such a hassle that I've only ever used them on long airplane trips and such. As I hoped the HF5 is more comfortable and is easier to hold onto for insertion and removal. But I must say they don't sound nearly as good to me.

Things with a fair bit of bass tend to have that problem where when the bass is playing the other instruments get less distinct. I guess it could be that they are harder to drive (by an iPod Nano) and it's really the iPod's fault but for whatever reason they are just not as clear and transparent on bass-heavy music as the ER6i.

As compared to my HD-595 I'd say the bass on the ER6i is less present but possibly a bit better controlled. The bass on my new HF5 is present but just a bit muddy.

Still, they are comfortable and convenient which is why I bought them. I'll just keep the ER6i for long trips and use the HD-595 for critical listening.

Mar 16, 2011 at 1:15 PM Post #38 of 44
My fav IEMs are IE8, but I needed something with more isolation for commuting.
My HF5s arrived today; I had my IE8s in, and replaced them with the HF5, switch time less then one minute.
And even then I would not describe the HF5 as without bass. The IE8s are bassy, giving a not unpleasant basweight to everything and bass tones are very pronounced, but the HF5 still does bass and adds weight where necessary. Voices are wonderful.
Anyone describing the HF5s as without bass is either a basshead beyond help, has a medical condition or a bad seal.
OTOH, describing the bass of the HF5 as its strongest point is pushing it too far IMO.
BTW, those round grey tips are very good, giving a perfect seal right away and good isolation.

Mar 19, 2011 at 5:41 AM Post #39 of 44
I am only waiting my HF5. I don't know yet how much bass they have. I think they have very precise frequency reproduction (if not overdriven). Can compare them with bass heavy Xears TD100.

Jan 16, 2012 at 1:52 AM Post #40 of 44
Wanted to jump in here. Got myself the Hf5 after reading very long threads here (and other places), praising these IEMs...  I switched from CX400, and I know I've been spoilt by their muddy, fake bass. But it's not the bass I'm complaining about. It's the highs. They are too pronounced, and they are piercing my brain. Any kind of distorted guitar is impossible to listen to. Tried all the tips, at all kinds of depths (really, any further and they would come out of my eyeballs), and also tried all kinds of EQ presets (the limited ones the iPod has to offer).
I listen to 320kbps mp3s, mostly rock and metal. Did I just buy the wrong IEMs?

Jan 16, 2012 at 2:01 AM Post #41 of 44
Ety's sound signature isn't for you.

Jan 16, 2012 at 10:43 PM Post #43 of 44

Quote:
Could you recommend another IEM for the setup described, at the same price range?

To me, it sounded like the OP described the UE TF10s which have quite a bit of bass and good highs. You might want to look into those.

Jan 17, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #44 of 44
The common trend among IEM manufacturers is to EQ the missing part of the sound and makes it more engaging in order to recreate the speaker-like listening experience. The issue about IEM's in general (compared to a speaker) is that it doesn’t kick enough air on low bass notes to give the listener the same ‘pounding’ as if from a speaker. So the solution is to bump the bass note a little up than what it should have been to simulate a proper ‘feel’. Etymotic on the other hand is perhaps more interested in the proper listening, or the accuracy of their sound, and less interested in the tactual compensation.  A good majority of people, however, "require" that tactual compensation in order to be emotional engaged into the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back