Terrible Etymotic HF5's
Feb 7, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #16 of 44
Etymotic's sound signature is very bright, especially if you are talking about the ER4 line (then it becomes almost unnaturally bright). It is just one of those IEMs that brings out every single detail you want to hear because of the brightness of it though. Thus, this is the reason why whenever people are coming from the CX series or the Skullcandies, I try to not recommend the Etymotic lineups. I came from the CX300 to the MC5 at first... and I almost wanted to tear the MC5 into pieces because it sounded so tinny compared to the CX300. Now I just love them though, I still use them despite having gained better IEMs over the time.

My point is... the HF5 isn't a bad IEM. I know it has a positive reputation for its price of value. But if it isn't a cup of tea then it isn't your cup of tea. You just like something warmer.

Though calling the Etymotic unnatural is... well... let's just say that the term "natural" is really subjective now.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #17 of 44
IMO Etymotics are not bright at all. I would say they are mid centered and slightly on the warm side.

Feb 7, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #18 of 44
I unfortunately think you are probably in the minority then... but that's the spectacular thing about audio equipments; we all hear differently.

Though that piqued my curiosity then... what would you consider as a bright earphone, Pianist?

Feb 7, 2011 at 10:05 PM Post #19 of 44

Quote:
IMO Etymotics are not bright at all. I would say they are mid centered and slightly on the warm side.

Oh my... 

I guess we do hear things extremely differently. I find them very much on the cool side compared to the other phones I have heard but they are very refreshingly clear and provide a nice change of pace.

Feb 7, 2011 at 11:23 PM Post #20 of 44
It also depends on the type of music you listen to.  The Etys are fantastic for instrumental classical whether symphonic, small chamber or solo.  I find they have some of the most realistic reproductions of timbre of any universal IEM.  Like rangerid, I too think they are "refreshingly clear".  For bass-heavy music, or music that needs a more prominent lower-end (a bass which is typically less detailed and nuanced than 'classical music bass'), the Etys are unsatisfactory.  You really want a really viceral punch, and the Etys sound a tad anaemic.  It's very well controlled, almost too well controlled.  Finally, I think listener expectations and what they're used to listening to affects how well received the Etys are.  A lot of my friends who were used to a lot of bass came into the world of "head-fi" with the expectation that good headphones have a lot of bass.  Initially many were disappointed with the relative lack of bass, but eventually all of them started to appreciate that the lack of bass equalled less bass smearing into the mids and obscuring vital ambient cues and nuances which makes music (in particular live recordings) come alive.  I'm beginning to listen to a lot more pop/electropop/alternative/indie/RnB music, and even for these genres a tight, well-controlled bass is still very important for me.  Perhaps the Ety sound is not the greatest for everything, but I'd take their sound signature over a lot of the bloated sheeeet coming out of so many headphones nowadays.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:40 AM Post #21 of 44
Well, back to the OP, I'd say that everything you said so far indicates that you are not getting a proper seal.  If there are parts of the bass that are not audible then you are not getting seal for sure.  If you still are having trouble you might want to consider getting some comply foam tips.
I personally find that the HF5's lack low end bass like guitar bass line and other rumbling stuff like that.  It may be a little faint but is definitely there.  Drum beats should be tight, fast, and controlled like everyone says.  In general the bass just doesn't boom and is quite recessed.

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 44

Quote:
They just have a particular sound and need a tight seal.  I just bought a pair a month ago and hated how they sounded.  It's been in the box since.  If anyone is interested, let me know - not my sound at all.

i'm interested, how much are u thinking about selling them?

Feb 8, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #23 of 44
Sorry to hear that you don't like them. I am a user of the ER4P/S and I find its best synergy with my Cowon D2. Somehow, it works even though it should not if you were to think about it. My point is that these headphones are somewhat sensitive to the source, so you must pair them adequately and it is not always obvious. I believe that the HF5 is no different.

Feb 8, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #27 of 44

Quote:
The Etys are fantastic for instrumental classical whether symphonic, small chamber or solo.  I find they have some of the most realistic reproductions of timbre of any universal IEM.  

I'm a big fan of classical and have been wanting to find something that really reproduces the concert hall experience.  I've ordered a CK10, which is on its way, but am now thinking of the entry-level er6i, also for its isolation on long-haul flights.  

Is the sound signature of the er6i suited for classical?  And if so, is it very different from the CK10?  I want real sax and violins!

Feb 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #28 of 44

Quote:
  The Etys are fantastic for instrumental classical whether symphonic, small chamber or solo.  I find they have some of the most realistic reproductions of timbre of any universal IEM.  

I find this to be the case even with my "lowly" MC5, and it happens to be the most important quality of a can for me. 

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #29 of 44
Quote:
I unfortunately think you are probably in the minority then... but that's the spectacular thing about audio equipments; we all hear differently.

Though that piqued my curiosity then... what would you consider as a bright earphone, Pianist?

Bright headphones IMO: SR225, SR325 (almost unbearable), DT880 (slightly), Q-jays (a little peaky), RE0 (slightly), FA-003 and DBA-02 (a little), Triple.fi with stock single flange silicones (a little bit), UE700 (peaky and harsh)

Dark sounding headphones IMO: RE262, YH-100, T50RP, GMP 8.35 D

Neutral (or very close) IMO: HD800, RE252, ER4S, K271, SE535

Feb 8, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #30 of 44

Quote:
Etymotic are the least accurate IEMs I've ever used. Every type of music has a "base" sound... it's the sound that was heard in the studio or on the stage as the artist intended it to be when it was created, mixed & mastered. Etymotic's sound is the least like any recording of a studio mix or live stage performance I've ever personally experienced. When someone mixes in a killer low end and "warmth" in the studio, and the Etymotic is incapable of reproducing anything close to that without adding EQ... that is inaccurate sound... regardless of the claims and years of research of Etymotic. There's a reason why no other IEM sounds anything like Etymotic... because Etymotic's core idea of how an IEM should be built and ultimately sound to the human ear is flawed and unnatural... and their base design severely hypes the upper mids and high end... which is why some people falsely believe they're "more detailed" or "more accurate". They're not.  

OK, have it your way.  For most of the music I listen to, the HF5 reproduces instruments extremely close to how they sound acoustically.  I will agree that my HF5 doesn't do so great with my teenager's  European DJ/house electro-dance stuff.  His Sennheiser CX-300, with their hyper-bloated lower-mid bass, really gives that killer low end he likes.  
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back