Teradak Teralink-X2 released 19.1.10
Mar 23, 2010 at 10:45 AM Post #106 of 642
Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Two weeks is about right - you should get it any day now....

Yes i should get it this week, its long but i can't really complain since the shipping was free.
redface.gif

Also i read there is some reliability issue with the tenor chip itself, even the manufacturer of the chip claim there is a problem so there is a risk the chip may die someday...

The same chip is used on the stello u2 and it is sold $349 so the teradak is quite a bargain in comparison.

Mar 23, 2010 at 3:22 PM Post #107 of 642
Here is the beta drivers for XP and win7. They were released by the vendor. Many users have downloaded it. Some guys complaint the win7 asio driver doesn't work, but the vendor doesn't know how to solve it because they have no cue to verify the error. The vendor always thought their drivers are OK.

Teralink-X2 ASIO beta driver for XP - Windows Live

As I knew, the te7022 chip consumes more current than the previous CM108. If you use toslink, you may consider using the USB cable featured with 2 USB input for the X2. That is the USB cable include 2 input but 1 output. Many external portable HD drives use the similar USB cable. In the 2 inputs, one is the real 4 pin connection and the other is only for 2 power pin connection. Otherwise, you can consider using external linear power supply.

There is a highly modded X2. It uses linear external power and high precision OCXO. It is said the sonic quality either in detail or others is boosted many times.
IMG_0165.JPG

Quote:

Originally Posted by thoppa /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can people download it ? Please post a link.

I think if you are serious about getting 'beta-feedback' to make the driver as good as it can be, then you (or whomever) needs to make it publicly available right ?

I think the X2 should have a slight re-design.

1) The regulation isn't as good as it can be. If the board is redesigned to accept smt regulators, then it could use the Texas Instruments REG113 and TPS793XX regulators.

2) Install a socket for the 12Mhz tcxo so users can try different xo's to find the best one.

Just my ideas. I think it's a great device and I'm very pleased with it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 4:34 PM Post #110 of 642
Quote:

Originally Posted by teraguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here is the beta drivers for XP and win7. They were released by the vendor. Many users have downloaded it. Some guys complaint the win7 asio driver doesn't work, but the vendor doesn't know how to solve it because they have no cue to verify the error. The vendor always thought their drivers are OK.

Teralink-X2 ASIO beta driver for XP - Windows Live

As I knew, the te7022 chip consumes more current than the previous CM108. If you use toslink, you may consider using the USB cable featured with 2 USB input for the X2. That is the USB cable include 2 input but 1 output. Many external portable HD drives use the similar USB cable. In the 2 inputs, one is the real 4 pin connection and the other is only for 2 power pin connection. Otherwise, you can consider using external linear power supply.

There is a highly modded X2. It uses linear external power and high precision OCXO. It is said the sonic quality either in detail or others is boosted many times.

Why don't you sell upgraded Teralink-X2s like the one shown in your image? I would be willing to buy it.

Mar 23, 2010 at 9:09 PM Post #111 of 642
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why don't you sell upgraded Teralink-X2s like the one shown in your image? I would be willing to buy it.

Yes, same to me!
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 24, 2010 at 2:10 AM Post #113 of 642
I'll buy it too

Mar 24, 2010 at 7:26 AM Post #114 of 642
Look at the Mhz on the clock its 12, this means the performance with redbook is still determined by the quality of the PLL, so you won't gain much on this design with an expensive clock IMO.

Best to spend the money on good clean power for the existing clock.

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:07 AM Post #116 of 642
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega17TheTrue /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've just received mine i will post my impressions later.
normal_smile .gif

Good news - I'll be interested to know.

I just did the 3.3V reg swap - works very well - slight but noticeable improvement. It's a shame I can't AB to get an exact handle on the change.

I also fitted socket pins for the tcxo so I can swap it and see if a better/worse xo makes a difference. Initially, this didn't work but that was because
the pins were shorting on the case - oops. Just raising the txco up out of the socket got it working again.

4461274907_f4dd5eacc7_b.jpg

4461275837_9dc1979ae2_b.jpg

Mar 25, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #117 of 642
Quote:

Originally Posted by regal /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Best to spend the money on good clean power for the existing clock.

I don't see the need to choose between the two. Why not do both ?

Mar 25, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #118 of 642
Hi Thoppa,

thanks for sharing your very interesting modding. Did you test several tcxo (means several frequencies)? It's a pity that it is so difficult to explain in an objective way what the increase of quality by a certain step of optimisation is. Given a scale of 1 to 100 and given the original state of the TeraLink is positioned at a value of let's say 75: at what position would you set the increase by modding your unit?

I hope my question is clear enough (as you probably noticed I'm not a native speaker :wink: ).

Fujak

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:07 PM Post #119 of 642
Hi,

You're English is great - no trouble understanding .... but some difficulty giving an honest definite answer because I'm relying on my memory rather than doing an AB test.

For your scale, I'd say 78. I'd say the difference between usb power from my netbook and a 9V battery was 75 to 76.

I haven't tried any other xo's yet. I've ordered one I know has less than 1ps jitter. It is about US$5 and it is 3.3V so I'll hack in 3.3v from elsewhere to make it work. The idea is that this will receive better power than the 5V xo when the device is running from usb.

It'll also mean that only the line driver (for the I2S) is running from 5V, and this chip can handle lower voltages, so the whole device can then be powered from 4 x 1.2V AA nimh batteries. Then I'll be able to switch between usb and battery power, and if the new reg is good, then I shouldn't be able to hear any difference.

XO91

AFAIK, I have to use 12Mhz because this is the clock frequency for usb signals. If I popped in a 22Mhz or something it either wouldn't work or would play at the wrong speed (?). USB is 12Mbps so a 12Mhz xo makes sense

Users who are viewing this thread

Back