Ten headphones go to the gym! See who comes out on top. :)
Feb 11, 2014 at 4:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 43

DrJon

100+ Head-Fier

Review background:
I’ve been going to the gym for about 10 years now.  Not that you’d know it to look at me. 
wink.gif
  Over these years, I’ve torn through a lot of headphones.  So I thought that it’s time to write up a review of the lot.  Hopefully this info will be useful to those out there looking for some gym headphones.  
smily_headphones1.gif

What we are looking for at the gym:
What we want in a gym headphone is a bit unique from, say, what I am listening to now, as I type up this review.  Of high importance is the ability of the headphones to stay on the head while moving around a lot.  Also really important is how well the headphones stand up to sweat.  Some last well, some do not, I found.  And I did not see much correlation between headphones marketed for exercise, that supposedly can get a little wet, and those that are not.  Sound quality is always important but not of *primary* concern here, at least to me, when only considering the gym.  But, of course, there is some minimum level of sound quality that must be met.  My gym, probably like most, is really loud, with annoying music, whirring machines, and sweaty guys grunting a lot. 
wink.gif
 So I definitely want isolation in my gym headphones.  I find that no isolation means I come home from the gym with a little headache, a little overstimulated, and generally craving more peace in the world.  Maybe from all the noise (gym plus my music or podcasts) or having to turn my iPod up to hear it over the local din.  Isolation is important.  I’d like to try out some noise cancelling headphones at the gym.  But they are still too expensive to risk what happens if they get wet.  Price needs to be low.  Expensive to one person can be cheap to another, or vice versa.  As we will see, I went though several headphones over the years.  With the sweat, most headphones just don’t last.  Some only weeks.  Whatever you get, plan on replacing them frequently.  Hence the desire for low-ish cost per headphone. I tuck the cables inside my shirts.  And the iPod is in a pocket of my shorts.

A typical workout:
My workouts are about half weights- without too much sweating.  And half cardio (running or biking)- with lots of dripping sweat.  What is good in a headphone for one half of the workout might not be good for the other half.  I have run all of these headphones from various iPods.  I do not bring a headphone amp to the gym.  I try to work out every other day.  Sometimes life gets in the way of that (too busy, work travel, get sick, injury, etc.) so let’s guess that I’ve worked out, on average, every third day over 10 years.  Half the year it’s cold here and I do the whole exercise routine in the gym.  The other half, when it’s warm, I do the weights in the gym but then run or bike outside.  I don’t wear headphones outside.  (Don’t need the distraction as much, I suppose.)  As a very rough guess, I’ll say that the reviews here are based on 1,200 times doing weights and 600 times running on a tread mill or going nowhere on a stationary bike.  Heck, with those numbers, you’d really think that I’d be in better shape.  
tongue.gif

Full-sized headphones versus in ear monitors (IEM’s):
As a general rule, I have a strong preference for full-sized headphones.  I like IEM’s a lot for weight lifting.  Small, out of the way, and good isolation with foam plugs.  But for aerobic exercise with a lot of sweating, the IEM’s fall out and won’t go back in.  You can’t squish the foam plugs, push them into a sweaty ear, and get them to stay there.  So full-sized works better, all around.  Also note that some people caution against using IEM’s in a gym because if you get bumped by someone, the IEM might get pushed into your ear and cause damage.

Ratings:
Let’s rate all these headphones in various aspects.  Using a 1-5 scale with 1 being poor and 5 being excellent.  I won’t add up scores to pick overall winners because each category does not carry equal weight.

Price:  I am using general online prices like at Amazon and shipping is included if there is a charge.  Prices are just a ballpark estimate.

Stays on the head:  Getting up and down from a bench or bouncing up and down during a run, we don’t want the headphones falling off.  Some fall off, some don’t.

Sweat resistance:  Does it poop out at the first sign of sweat or does it truck on for a while, despite getting wet?

Comfort:  If it stays on the head because it’s clamping yer noggin like a vise, it’s no fun to wear.

Sound quality:  Should be kind of obvious.  Although we’re grading on a curve here.  We’re talking about sound quality for a gym headphone.  There is no real competition with Hifiman or Stax in this crowd.

Isolation:  How well are background noises kept out of our ears.

Cable:  Some are too long or heavy, others are fine. 

Overall suitability to the gym:  My general call, all things considered.

Sennheiser MX75
$60

That’s not my photo because I threw these away after a lot of attempts to use them.  Awful.  Avoid these.  They have this “twist to fit” thing that sounds like a good idea but, at least with my fairly average ears, does not work.  Like all ear buds, you need to make a seal between the bud and your ear to hear things well.  Otherwise it sounds as though the ear buds are just hanging around in the general vicinity of your ears and everything sounds tinny.  So you have to jam the buds into your ear and, simultaneously, wedge that little circle into a groove in the cartilage of your ear above where the sound goes in.  It doesn’t stay in for very long.  Or it hurts.  Usually both.  On the plus side, they did stand up to sweat well, at least as long as I tried working with them.  Small and light.  And the cable is good for having an iPod in the pocket.
Stays on the head:  1
Sweat resistance:  5
Comfort:  1
Sound quality:  1
Isolation:  1
Cable:  5
Overall suitability to the gym:  1

Sennheiser OMX70
$40

Move right along.  There is nothing to see here, folks.  These headphones are awful in almost every regard. Although I must admit that they have lasted well.  Probably because I can’t stand to use them very much.  They have a clever loop so that the headphones stay on your ears very well, through all sorts of running and bouncing around.  But, much like Sennheiser MX75’s above, it’s almost impossible to get the buds to seal to your ears.  So think about some white iPod ear buds, looped around your ear and just left hanging outside your ear.  That’s what you have here, essentially.  You can push them into your ear, but there is nothing to keep them actually sealed in place.  So they fall back out within seconds.  They are light and the cable is good for gym use.  Ummm, that’s all I can say that is positive.
Stays on the head:  1
Sound quality:  1
Overall suitability to the gym:  1

Koss SportaPro
$24

One of my favorites!  Koss did a really nice job with these.  They are very cheap, sound is pretty good (definitely more bass than the Westones), and they have withstood many, many sweaty miles on the treadmill.  Eventually, they succumbed to the brutality of my workouts. 
wink.gif
  So I got a second pair.  They are still going strong.  They have lasted longer than average for all the headphones mentioned here.  The cable is a good length, thin, and does not get in the way.  I think that the greatest thing here is the aluminum head band.  They stay on your head just perfectly.  No movement no matter how much you shake your head around like a possessed gym rat.  And yet they are perfectly comfortable.  Very light.  You almost forget that they are even there.  It’s kind of an engineering marvel in that they stay put so well yet you feel no force.  But there is a big downfall here:  Absolutely no isolation at all. 
frown.gif
  Ahhh, we were so close.  So they are not the long-term choice for me.  But if you do not need any isolation, look no further.  The Koss SportaPros get my strongest recommendation. 
Stays on the head:  5
Sweat resistance:  4
Comfort:  5
Sound quality:  4
Overall suitability to the gym:  4

Sennheiser PMX80
$50

OK, this one is better than the other two Sennheiser offerings but I still won’t recommend it.  They seal to your ears much better than the OMX70’s and MX75’s.  A little annoying in that they kind of feel like someone is poking you in your ears.  But it’s not that bad and, in general, I would say that they are pretty comfortable.  However, the seal is not great.  You need to keep pushing them into your ear in order to hear things well.  The cable is good, not getting in the way.  Sound quality is OK.  Neither great nor too awful.  No isolation.  The big problem, however, is reliability.  I went through two pairs of these.  The first stopped making sound from one side, probably due to being sweated on so much.  And some plastic parts fell off.  So I got a second pair.  That one had more plastic fall off within only a few weeks of getting them.  You can see it in the photo.  These supposed gym headphones cannot withstand all the sweating of a real workout.  My experience is that these are both more expensive and less reliable than “regular” headphones not billed as suitable for the gym.  I say avoid them.
Stays on the head:  3
Sweat resistance:  2
Comfort:  3
Sound quality:  3
Isolation:  1
Overall suitability to the gym:  2

Westone UM1
$80

Great for weights, not great for aerobic workouts.  These are small, light, have a suitable cable for the gym, and never get in your way.  The foam plugs make a super seal to your ear to provide the best isolation of all headphones reviewed here.  Sound quality is excellent in all regards except there is not much bass.  I find that the foam plugs get hard after about a year or a little sooner, so you’ll want to replace those now and then.  If you don’t sweat much, the UM1’s are an excellent choice for the gym.  However, they just don’t work for aerobic exercise.  They stay in place very well in the beginning.  But once you are really sweating, they will drop out.  And like I mentioned in the introduction, you can’t squish them back into a wet ear.  They just won’t stay in place.  Also, with ear buds like this, I would imagine that a lot of sweat will go right into the electronics and kill them.  So I have used these many, many times while doing weights but not too often running or biking.  Also, these are starting to get into the expensive range such that I don’t want to burn through three pairs a year.  Highly recommended for weights.  One of the best options, in fact.  But avoid for running or biking.
Isolation:  5
Overall suitability to the gym:  3

Westone UM2
$250

Exactly the same as the UM1 for our purposes.  But supposedly better sound quality.  To be honest, I can’t tell much difference versus the UM1’s when at the gym.  Maybe I should compare the sound of the UM1 versus the UM2 at home.  Anyways, see the UM1 comments.  There are all the same pros and cons here.

Sennheiser HD201
$20

OK, now we’re moving onto the full-sized headphones.  On the positive side, the HD201’s are very cheap.  On the negative side is almost everything else.  These headphones are just not comfortable for me and I don’t like wearing them at all.  The cushions/pads are quite stiff and the headband is no fun, either.  Due to the stiff pads, isolation is poor.  Better isolation than nothing but worse than all the other full-sized headphones mentioned here.  Sound quality is nothing special but not bad.  They have stood up to sweaty aerobic workouts without any problem so far.  They stay on the head well.  Not perfectly but better than some other full-sized headphones.  The cable is ridiculously long and gets in the way, but it’s not thick or too heavy.  Hey, they’re only $20 so we can’t complain much.  They function as advertised.  But I think that there are better options available.  Man, Sennheiser is not doing well here. 
Stays on the head:  4
Sound quality:  3
Isolation:  2
Cable:  2

Sony MDR-V6, also known as the MDR-7506
$85

The Sonys are my favorite all-around headphone.  I love these things.  For only $85 you get amazing sound right out of an iPod.  They are so comfortable that they never feel bad.  The pads are softer than most and they just feel fancy.  Isolation is the best of any full-sized headphone I’ve tried.  And did I mention how amazing the sound is?  I so like these that it pains me to say that they really are not the best for the gym.  The small problems are that they are a bit floppy on the head.  Fine when you’re not exercising but they will fall off your head at the gym now and then.  It’s not too bad, though.  The cable is thick, heavy, coiled, and long.  To the point of getting in the way at the gym.  All of those minor problems are forgivable for how pleasurable the MDR’s are.  Except that they do not stand up to sweat very well at all.  My pair stopped playing out of one ear after not-too-many miles on the treadmill.  So disappointing.  I got a second pair to use just for weights.  OK, so these are not *the* ones for the gym.  But for non-gym use I think that they are just grand.
Sweat resistance:  1
Sound quality:  5

Beyerdynamic DT 880 - 600 Ohm
$350

OK, including these in the gym roundup is kind of a joke.  But I have them, so what the heck?  Yes, they sound great.  From an iPod I’d say that they sound different (more clear, less bass) than the Sony MDR’s but not necessarily better.  Just different.  But they’re not good for the gym even if you own a private jet.  Too heavy and they will flop off your head easily.  Poor isolation due to being an open design.  Maybe above average comfort but not quite as good as the Sony MDR’s (a little heavy).  They do hurt the top of my head after minutes, rather than hours.  I do like the feel of the pads made of some velour or something.  Cable is too long for the gym.  I’m wearing them right now.  But I’m also not at the gym.
Stays on the head:  2
Sweat resistance:  I don’t dare find out!
Comfort:  4
Sound quality:  5
Isolation:  3
Overall suitability to the gym:  2

Monoprice 8323
$31

The Monoprice 8323’s are my current gym headphone.  They are pretty new so I am still putting them through the paces.  They seem to be a good option to recommend at this early stage.  Sound quality is pretty good.  Isolation is quite good.  The pads feel a little plasticy and cheesy but they do the job well.  Comfort is not great.  The headband hurts after a while.  I just added some cut up black dress socks to the headband to see if that will make them more comfortable.  Just did that last night, so I have not brought the socked 8323’s to the gym yet.  Comes with two detachable cables.  The smaller one is perfect for the gym- light and neither too long nor too short.  Excellent.  I can’t say how long they’ll last when running or biking but so far so good.  They seem to stay on the head well.  I’ll need more time with these before making an informed call.
Sweat resistance:  5 (so far)
Isolation:  4

CAD MH310 also known as Superlux HD662
$55

I just got these and they have not yet visited the gym but they are up next.  Maybe I should not even include them in this review but I will give some initial impressions.  Sound quality is fine.  On par with the Monoprice 8323 but with a different sound.  Less bass than the Monoprice 8323 but generally fine.  The pads are a little stiff.  Plasticy and cheesy feeling.  They do not seal well so isolation is there but not great.  The Monoprices seal and isolate better.  These and the Monoprices arrived on the same day.  I tried them both out at home and it was clear that the Monoprices had more potential to be a good gym headphone, so that’s what I’m using for now.  The CAD’s are definitely the largest headphones in this roundup.  If you ever look like a dork for having big headphones on your head, the CAD/Superluxes will do it.  If you go to the gym to impress the ladies, leave these home. 
wink.gif
   For me, well, I lost my dignity years ago.  So I’m OK to be the enormous-headphone-wearing uber geek trying with all his might to bench press the bar without any weights on it.  
wink.gif

Stays on the head:  4
Sweat resistance:  ?
Isolation:  3
Cable:  4

Edit on February 14, 2015:
The CAD's are still going strong.  They are the best gym headphones that I've ever used.  The only down side is that they are huge and they look stupid.  But if you are secure enough with yourself, :wink: they are great.  I'm updating my ratings after many, many sessions at the gym:
Stays on the head:  5
Sweat resistance:  5
Comfort:  4
Sound quality:  3
Isolation:  4
Cable:  4
Overall suitability to the gym:  5

Wrap up
So there you go.  Ten years of experimenting. Please speak up with any thoughts or experiences that you would like to add. I hope that this information becomes useful to someone out there.  OK, enough of that.  I’m off to the gym!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:51 PM Post #2 of 43
One of my biggest pet peeves, especially as a trainer for 10+ years is seeing people wearing full-sized headphones to the gym. No matter how you try, you will look like a tool, male or female. Of course most people who do wear full-sized headphones wear "beats" and this further adds to their tool points. If you are actually working out, there is no way headphones should stay on your head. Iems have a total advantage over headphones when you are active.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 43
One of my biggest pet peeves, especially as a trainer for 10+ years is seeing people wearing full-sized headphones to the gym. No matter how you try, you will look like a tool, male or female. Of course most people who do wear full-sized headphones wear "beats" and this further adds to their tool points. If you are actually working out, there is no way headphones should stay on your head. Iems have a total advantage over headphones when you are active.

Hey, bud!  Are you callin' me a tool?!  Do you want to take a step outside and settle this like real men?!  
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Just kidding.  
biggrin.gif
  I know that I look like an idiot with full sized headphones on.  But working out is a real chore.  If I can be surrounded by great sound, be a little isolated from everything around me, and exist in my own little world swathed in comfy headphones, it makes the exercise routine a little more bearable.  I'm old enough that looking like a fool does not really bother me.  On the practical side, I find that IEM's are just fine (possibly even preferable) while doing weights.  But IEM's just don't work while running or biking, once the sweat really starts.  Then I find only full-sized headphones work well.

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #4 of 43
Lol, cute. I've never had a problem stepping outside to prove a point! I wasn't calling you a tool buddy. I think it looks funny when people wear headphones to the gym. Also, from a functional aspect, iems usually have the advantage. However, I guess it depends on the type of workout as well as the type of headphone you are using.

Feb 11, 2014 at 11:06 PM Post #5 of 43

I completely agree with this. Headphones get just as sweaty as IEM's. If they fall out is a problem, then get the headphones with the hooks. If you spend more money ,you could get better GYM headphones. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #6 of 43
  I completely agree with this. Headphones get just as sweaty as IEM's. If they fall out is a problem, then get the headphones with the hooks. If you spend more money ,you could get better GYM headphones. 

Yeah, I think that what works for one person isn't necessarily what works for everyone.  I like IEM's for weights but could not get them to work well for running.  The ones with hooks didn't do it for me, either.  For non-gym use, I prefer the sound and feel of nice full-sized headphones over IEM's.  So if I can get full-sized to work at the gym, it's a little more pleasant for me.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM Post #7 of 43
Lol, cute. I've never had a problem stepping outside to prove a point! I wasn't calling you a tool buddy. I think it looks funny when people wear headphones to the gym. Also, from a functional aspect, iems usually have the advantage. However, I guess it depends on the type of workout as well as the type of headphone you are using.

Right.  I find that it really does depend upon what type of workout I am doing.  Actually, on most days at the gym, I'll wear one type of headphone for weights and then switch to a different set for the treadmill or bike.  I'm trying to find one set that works for both now.

I did once have a guy at the gym try to pick a fight with me.  He's about my height but probably twice my weight- all muscle and tattoos.  We were both walking toward each other, looking down at the floor or our iPods, each lost in our own worlds.  Almost walked right into each other.  I apologized but he wanted to get into it.  I kept apologizing several times, even though we were both at fault.  After a few tense moments, he calmed down enough and dropped his fists.  
basshead.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:56 AM Post #9 of 43
I will actually eat my words and maybe try using some over-ear headphones at the gym. Wonder what looks I'll get if I sport my LCD 2's...lol. You don't seem like a tool at all. The guy you are describing sounds like a tool master. Humility goes a long way both in the gym and the outside world. The gym culture is a whole different world. So many interesting people and folks to "bump" into! I've had that happen too, but was on the other end. You were clearly the bigger person for apologizing. 

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #10 of 43
Full size headphones in public seem a bit much for me, but whatever.  I like my TF10 custom for working out, KSC75 if I want to hear the outside world in the gym, but most of the time I don't.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM Post #12 of 43

Monoprice 8323
$31

The Monoprice 8323’s are my current gym headphone.  They are pretty new so I am still putting them through the paces.  They seem to be a good option to recommend at this early stage.  Sound quality is pretty good.  Isolation is quite good.  The pads feel a little plasticy and cheesy but they do the job well.  Comfort is not great.  The headband hurts after a while.  I just added some cut up black dress socks to the headband to see if that will make them more comfortable.  Just did that last night, so I have not brought the socked 8323’s to the gym yet.  Comes with two detachable cables.  The smaller one is perfect for the gym- light and neither too long nor too short.  Excellent.  I can’t say how long they’ll last when running or biking but so far so good.  They seem to stay on the head well.  I’ll need more time with these before making an informed call.
Sweat resistance:  5 (so far)
Isolation:  4

If these end up making the cut, you may want to check out the re-brands linked below.  They come with velour headband and earpads, and are so much more comfortable than the 8323 (I have both).  You'd need to swap the plastic earpads from your current 8323 because the velour offer poor isolation.

http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology-Pro-Headphones-NX-HTDJ/dp/B0041A3P5W

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #14 of 43
  I will actually eat my words and maybe try using some over-ear headphones at the gym. Wonder what looks I'll get if I sport my LCD 2's...lol. You don't seem like a tool at all. The guy you are describing sounds like a tool master. Humility goes a long way both in the gym and the outside world. The gym culture is a whole different world. So many interesting people and folks to "bump" into! I've had that happen too, but was on the other end. You were clearly the bigger person for apologizing. 

Excellent!  If I get a new set of headphones for the gym, it's kind of like a new toy.  It makes me want to go to the gym more.  And the workouts, at least for a while, are a little more enjoyable.  So try something new and let us know how it goes.

Feb 13, 2014 at 4:07 PM Post #15 of 43
  Full size headphones in public seem a bit much for me, but whatever.  I like my TF10 custom for working out, KSC75 if I want to hear the outside world in the gym, but most of the time I don't.

I've noticed over, maybe, the past 3 years that I am seeing more full sized headphones in public.  Kind of like how iPod ear buds popped up.  And now full-sized headphones are clawing their way back.  It's a good thing.  Or maybe I'm just taking note of them more.  Anyways, I like full-sized over IEM's, in general.  More comfortable and often better sound (although there are many exceptions).  So let's bring the full experience to the gym

Users who are viewing this thread

Back