Tempur Pedic Grado Pads...
Apr 21, 2004 at 12:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

reeseboisse

100+ Head-Fier
As a few of you may remember, I posted in here a while ago wondering how to go about making Grado pads out of a free block of Tempur-Pedic foam. Yesterday, I worked out how to do it, went out and bought some suitable blades, and went to work. This will obviously also work for essentially any foam you'd like to try.

Here's how I did it: First, chop the (approximately) 1.5"x3"x4" block in half, so that you have 2 blocks, which measure ~0.75"x3x4. Then, measure out a circle in the center of the side on each of the blocks, 1.5" in diameter. Cut them out. Then, on one side of each block, measure a circle 1.75" inches in diameter, so it's just larger than the 1.5 inch hole. Slice through that circle until you have .25" of foam left before hitting your cutting surface and stop. Then, make a slit all the way around the perimeter of the hole right where the wider hole and the smaller hole meet, so that you've cut out a ring of foam .25" thick, and you have a slit for the lip on the edge of the earcup.

Results:

The comfort:
sr60smileTP.gif

The sound: OMG TEH BASS! Due to the denser foam and a much better seal between the ears and the pads, these things have become bass monsters. And not in a good way. It becomes muddy, poorly defined, and it completely takes over the music. BUT(!): after EQing the bass down (using Shibatch's Super Equalizer for Winamp), I'm really liking this! The mids have taken on a new warmth, and the highs are just a tad recessed, which takes away a lot of the brightness and (some say) harshness attributed to these cans. Vocals are slightly muffled however, but not to the extent where it bothers me. A little more EQ could probably fix it. Also, with my portable, I no longer need the 1st bass boost setting to make it sound more than tinny, which is nice.

Overall, I'm happy with the results. The comfort is just awesome, and the sound, though finicky, is nice when all set up.

I can try to get pictures at some point this week, although I can't promise anything.

Apr 21, 2004 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jboehle
The picture you linked to isn't showing up...

-Jason

Fixed it. Hope you weren't expecting much.
tongue.gif

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 18
My bed will get hot if I just lie on them for a while (unable to sleep)

Does using tempur's foam for cans' foam is a good idea? Did yours get hot too after say 1-2hrs listening?

Thanks.

Apr 21, 2004 at 2:49 AM Post #6 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince
My bed will get hot if I just lie on them for a while (unable to sleep)

Does using tempur's foam for cans' foam is a good idea? Did yours get hot too after say 1-2hrs listening?

Thanks.

Nope. Although I should note that my ears are rather insensitive to temperature changes; they've never gotten hot with any can I've tried.

Apr 21, 2004 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kenny12
free block of Tempur-Pedic foam??

whats this?

www.tempurpedic.com. You get a little box filled with a block of foam, a VHS cassette, and some random brochures.

Apr 28, 2004 at 10:13 AM Post #10 of 18
Tempurpedic is way overpriced. Almost identical memory foam (viscoelastic foam) can be gotten from eBay for a fraction of the price. I got a 4" thick mattress pad, 4 lb density (Tempurpedic's viscoelastic layer is 3", 5 lb density), for $70 US, and just put it on top of the regular foam mattress. Most comfortable thing ever. The only problem is that I'm so used to sleeping on it that I find it very hard to sleep on any other bed when away from home.

From my older 2" viscoelastic pad, I cut up and made chair cushions (retail viscoelastic foam chair cushins are usually higher density than bedding ones as all the weight is concentrated in the person's ass, instead of being spread out when lying down; so I had to use three layers of the thing for the chairs, but in the end it's very comfortable for sitting in front of the computer all day, or whatever other couch potato leisures float your boat
biggrin.gif
).

Apr 29, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Prune
Tempurpedic is way overpriced. Almost identical memory foam (viscoelastic foam) can be gotten from eBay for a fraction of the price. I got a 4" thick mattress pad, 4 lb density (Tempurpedic's viscoelastic layer is 3", 5 lb density), for $70 US, and just put it on top of the regular foam mattress. Most comfortable thing ever. The only problem is that I'm so used to sleeping on it that I find it very hard to sleep on any other bed when away from home.

From my older 2" viscoelastic pad, I cut up and made chair cushions (retail viscoelastic foam chair cushins are usually higher density than bedding ones as all the weight is concentrated in the person's ass, instead of being spread out when lying down; so I had to use three layers of the thing for the chairs, but in the end it's very comfortable for sitting in front of the computer all day, or whatever other couch potato leisures float your boat
biggrin.gif
).

The denser stuff lasts longer. The denser ones are a LOT more expensive too. The problem with the low density viscoelastic foam is that it flattens out and loses it's memory. I imagine it would be a matter of time for the Tempurpedic ones to wear out too.
Don't get me wrong, I love viscoelastic foam, but it just doesn't last very long. I suppose 5lb lasts longer, but for it's cost it's cheaper to buy 3lb and replace it four times.

-Ed

Apr 29, 2004 at 4:15 AM Post #13 of 18
Quote:

The denser stuff lasts longer.

A thicker foam also lasts longer, and for a thick pad I find the lower density more comfortable.
Quote:

The denser ones are a LOT more expensive too.

I see 5 lb for no more than twice as expensive from the 3 lb. Sometimes you can find 4 lb, which is what I got.
For low pressure applications such as headphone pads, lower density would definitely be more comfortable.

May 11, 2004 at 4:29 AM Post #14 of 18
I have a tempur-pedic pillow. it's extremely nice. i want a mattress topper too.

another thing: i ordered the SR60 from Headroom yesterday and i think this is a good idea!

May 11, 2004 at 4:49 AM Post #15 of 18
Back to the original topic, perhaps one way to open up the sound again might be to make a number of holes in the material to allow at least some sound leakage -- enough of these strategically placed would probably move the sound back towards what it was originally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back