Tell us how your Audio-gd Compass is Being Used!
Jun 13, 2009 at 10:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
I am delighted with the Audio-gd Compass! And one of its biggest assets is how flexible it is!

I have mine set up as follows:

-PC Audio in via USB

-Sony Reference DVD/CD Player in via digital optical

-Denon AH-D7000's via the HP out

-Computer Speakers (not HQ) hooked in through the pre-amp out

So, with a flip of the 'pre-amp' switch on the back, I go from headphones to speakers.

And it sounds flippin' amazing.

This is really great for me, because even though I listen to HP's 99% of the time, sometimes I'm walking around, or the family wants to hear something with me...so I can switch to the PC speakers so easily.

So tell us, how do you use your Compass?

Jun 13, 2009 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 32
Since I have more than just the Compass, I'm using it as a DAC with just my XBox from the optical digital out.

Jun 14, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #3 of 32
Headphone Out - HD650/AD900
USB Input - Computer (Media Monkey) with USB ASIO Drivers
DAC Out - Integrated Amp

Press Super, DAC Out to speakers. Press Super again, headphones.

I love my Compass version, I have no Pre-Amp switch, gain switch or anything. Very simple.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #5 of 32
I've got it being fed from my computer's xonar dx via toslink, and like you, I've got some regular computer speakers hooked up as well, but via the DAC out rather than the pre-amp. Primarily driving my new HD600's
smile_phones.gif

Jun 14, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 32
I have it set up as receiving the digital coaxial output from a pretty cheap dvd player, receiving the digital optical output at 96khz from the audigy 2 zs notebook. on the headphone out i have it hooked up to er-4p/s and on the preamp out I have it running to my logitech z-5500 speakers. lets just say I am very happy. I cant wait to receive the grado hf-2s. It should be a very enlightening experience.

Jun 14, 2009 at 11:38 AM Post #7 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by tehdoom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've got it being fed from my computer's xonar dx via toslink, and like you, I've got some regular computer speakers hooked up as well, but via the DAC out rather than the pre-amp. Primarily driving my new HD600's
smile_phones.gif

Based on your post, I tried using DAC out also, and found it's much better.

For one thing, when I switch between headphones and speakers, I don't have to reach around to the back and flip the 'pre-amp' switch. I just click the 'super' switch on the front.

Also, using the 'pre-amp' outputs, I had two volume controls, one on the Compass and one on the speakers. Too many pots! Using the 'DAC out' and 'super mode,' only the speaker volume control is required...and I never need to turn them up more than about 1/4 volume, since the DAC out gives you abundant signal.

Of course, I'm using all digital inputs. I don't need line-in inputs...yet. If I do someday, I'll re-configure. And isn't that half the fun?

Again, this piece of equipment is flexible, in ways I never imagined.

I am going to order another one.

Thanks for the DAC-out suggestion!

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:54 AM Post #8 of 32
Sounds great that you are enjoying it.

For extra sexmagic why not use the Super button also to run a Tube Amp? Thats my plan. To build a Millet MAX or something like that for this very purpose!

Jun 15, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoYouRight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds great that you are enjoying it.

For extra sexmagic why not use the Super button also to run a Tube Amp? Thats my plan. To build a Millet MAX or something like that for this very purpose!

+1/2 I'll be building a Starving Student Hybrid to get driven by the compass. Ah.... I drool.

Jun 15, 2009 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 32
Connected via USB to my M1530 currently driving a CrossRoads HR2 as my main setup. I can't wait until the Grado HF2 shipped out, should be a good match with the neutral Compass. I also plan to get the Audio Technica ESW9 in the near future, the closed can which shook my belief in the Denon's house sound.
tongue.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 32
I have a PC connected via USB and a MAC connected with optical. I have a 2.1 powered speaker system that I'd like to hook up as well, sounds like DAC out + Super is the way to go with that, going to give that a try.

Jul 14, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #13 of 32
Mine is connected via optical from my motherboard. I'm using dac out to my receiver, and line out to my mingda mc84c07. Sounds great. It's definitely a significant improvement from my receiver dac.

Jul 14, 2009 at 10:03 PM Post #14 of 32
Compass DAC to feed the C-2C and preamp to a Carver M200T SS amp ----> JBL LX44s for near(ish) field use. The LX 44's are huge though and definitely need careful placement off to the sides of the comp desk.

I'm looking at desktop monitors as a viable alternative although the big 44's sound terrific with the Compass pre/M200T amp.

Peete.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back