Tell me which cheap fast 1TB external HD i should by
Oct 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

jegarn

100+ Head-Fier
Hi

I'm in need of a new external HD/NAS.
I'm looking for something cheap(max ~$200), as fast as possible(USB or ethernet), 1TB.

I'll plug it in to my airport extreme, hopefully I will be able to stream 1080p but I've almost given that up.

Been lookng at the WD Mybook essential edition II, any good?

The easiest for me would be if some one just could tell me what to buy so I dont have to think about it any more, going nuts.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:51 PM Post #2 of 17
Oct 10, 2009 at 5:04 PM Post #8 of 17
twice bitten, thrice shy.

i have had a lot of WD mybooks and all have eventually failed, at a much higher rate than any other drive i have had multiples of

BTW, i am not talking exclusively about internal drives, WD must add something deleterious to their awful sata controllers in the proprietory shells

used to like their 10k raptors but had two of those that died also

these firms used to be good, but like most turn to proverbial beeps.

Oct 10, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #10 of 17
The best storage hard drive I've ever tried is the WD10EADS. Can be had on newgg for around $75 when on sale, but $85 regularly. Although the difference in price between externals and internals ain't what they used to be, I wouldn't personally buy an external. Last I checked most if not all external drives have only 1 year warranties which is another reason not to go that route.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 17
I strongly recommend Western Digital Elements 1TB.

It's so quiet, quick and soundless. Pure Western Digital quality.

- Force.

Oct 10, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 17
Fast as possible = RAID 0 or raptor or SSD. But that's stupid you're playing movies, not creating HD videos.

You don't need fast drive. 5400rpm drives are fast enough for 1080p streaming. Look for "green" drives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back