Tell me what to do!
Jan 2, 2012 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 22

Quote:

For 8 hours a day, don't take the HFi780 imo.

DT990 is much more comfortable but the sound signature is really different. If you like mids you ll be disappointed imo. HFi780 is much more lively imo.

This is true but if you stretch them out over a box, like I suggested in my previous post, I believe you'll be ok. That with those different earpads will make a big difference.

Jan 3, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #17 of 22
I'll worry about the comfort when I get to try them on, just thought I should mention that the pair I buy will become my main gaming headphones and was wondering if the 780s sounds nice with games. I'd be willing to lose out on the bass for a better soundstage (am I correct in saying that the better the soundstage, the better games will sound?)

Thanks again :D

Edit: I've been reading about the dt990 and it sounds like perfect choice for me, but I'd love someone who owns the dt990 and the 780 to tell, me what they think.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:19 AM Post #18 of 22
Yes, you are correct by saying the HFi-780s have a better soundstage. Better meaning bigger. This gives you the feeling of being in the video game itself.
As for the DT990s, I don't know much about them. They seem to be pretty good but they WILL NEED to have an amp driving them, all the time. They also go $50 over your budget.

Jan 3, 2012 at 9:41 AM Post #19 of 22
Yes, you are correct by saying the HFi-780s have a better soundstage. Better meaning bigger. This gives you the feeling of being in the video game itself.
As for the DT990s, I don't know much about them. They seem to be pretty good but they WILL NEED to have an amp driving them, all the time. They also go $50 over your budget.

The 780s have a better soundstage the dt990s? They're actually $175 from buy.com so it is an option in my budget, I would someone who has had both to input their opinion. And I am planning to buy am amp in like 3 weeks and i'm sure the ampless sound will satisfy me until then.

Jan 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #20 of 22
OH ok. 175 is a good price for those. As for the sound stage, I meant that Ultrasones have a better sound stage in general compared to other headphones, not that they specifically are better than the DT990s. I can't be sure which one has the better one because I only own the Ultrasones.

Jan 3, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #21 of 22

Quote:
The 780s have a better soundstage the dt990s?

If i remember correctly, DT990 has a bigger soundstage.

Jan 4, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #22 of 22

Did you mean to say they ARE over ear?  Because the Ultrasones ARE over ear headphones, not on the ear.

Well, my HFI-780's sit on my ears (as opposed, for example, to my AKG 702's, which don't.)
And I have entirely normal size ears.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I live in North Jersey so I could probably find an audiophile store somewhere nearby, I'll go take a look around for one.

The AKG is around $270 right now so that's too much for me, sadly. I'll add the SRH840 to the OP.

I'm not sure how to explain this, I'm fine with how those headphones are because the cups just touch the outer part of your ear, I guess? It's not directly on the top of the middle. I have X11s and I can wear them for as long as I want without any discomfort, I want the same effect.

I should of mentioned that the headphones being collapsible would be nice if possible.

Edit: Just thought I should mention, I'm pretty much set on the Ultrasone 780 at this point but I'll give it a few more days before making the purchase.

I understand what you're saying and agree with it.

Quote:
Yep, and I'm glad to hear that, apparently the cable was very long and I was kind of annoyed about that for taking it places.

That's nice, it'd be better if the cable was detachable but that isn't too much of a big deal.

Also, can anyone that owns the 780s comment on the comfort of them? I've been reading threads saying the pleather gets sweaty, hot and just generally uncomfortable. If that's the case when/if I receive them, I'll probably buy the DT250 velour pads.

They're reasonably comfortable for closed headphones.

The pleather earpads, as with all of them, get warm after a while.

The HFI-780's are very good phones all around.
A bit of tizz on the high end, and plenty of bass, but in their price range 
I'm not able to readily think of any phone that's qualitatively "better:.
Their sound stage is fairly reasonable for a closed phone as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back