Tell me what to do!
Jan 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

PhilipV

New Head-Fier
Hey head-fi, I've recently been wanting to get a nice pair of headphones for listening to music (obv) and playing some RPGs on my PC. So, I'll admit, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to headphones, I'm not sure what highs/mid/lows/treble, etc is. If someone knows of a nice guide to read up on, I'll gladly read it. Anyway, I know alot of people here own multiple pairs of headphones so I need some help for my choice. Anyway, I'm really into bass heavy music I guess. I enjoy electro, dubstep (not as much recently), drum and bass, french electro, etc. Along with that, I play alot of RPGs so I'd like the sound of the headphones to be able to cover that (I think that's the soundstage? Completely clueless :p). Now, apparently some headphones need amps to reach their potential. I do plan on buying an AMP eventually, maybe a week or two after I get the headphones. I was planning on getting the E7/E9 combo, the E7 for on the go and the E9 when I'm at home (and plug the E7 in ofcourse.) But if you guys know of any other good combo, feel free to suggest. I also use skype alot (pretty  much 90% of the time I'm on the PC), so not sure if a headphone can replicate voice badly, but might aswell mention it. Also, comfor is extremely important, I love huge ear cups that can hold my entire, I hate my ears being squished so something like the Senns HD25 are out of the question unless I can be convinced that it'll feel as comfortable as other headphones.

I've read up on alot of threads and comparisons and stuff and I'd know what to get at my budget (150-200$) but Amazon is having alot of sales recently and I'm left completely clueless, so I'll link some of the stuff I've seen recommend for electro and then hopefully someone can help me from there.

Ultrasone HFI-580
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8
$160

Ultrasone HFI-780
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=pd_sim_e_4
$155 (Cheaper than the 580s right now!)

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-PRO700-Professional-Headphones/dp/B0046JS1IE
$175

Audio Technica ATH-M50
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=pd_cp_e_3
$150

Shure SRH840
http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SRH840-Professional-Monitoring-Earphones/dp/B002DP8IEK
$130

Edi: Removed Audio Technica A/AD700 & added Shure SRH840.

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:20 PM Post #2 of 22
     I would recommend either of the Ultrasone models. I'm sure the Audio Technica's are good too but I can't vouch for them for I do not have much experience with them. The 780's, I believe, will give you the best of both worlds when it comes to listening to music and gaming. They have a great sound stage and they have great bass. They don't need to be amped but will they will benefit from one. They have very good isolation too. The headband on them is very tight when you first get them so I suggest stretching them out over a box for a night so they won't squeeze your head as tightly.
     Others I'm sure will suggest different models so I suggest trying out a few pairs before making your final purchase, if possible.

Hope this helps!

Jan 2, 2012 at 12:36 PM Post #3 of 22

Quote:
I'm not sure what highs/mid/lows/treble,

High/treble = the same things = high frequencies.
Mids = voices/instrument
lows = bass

Quote:
I'm really into bass heavy music I guess. I enjoy electro, dubstep (not as much recently), drum and bass, french electro, etc. Along with that, I play alot of RPGs

You can remove A700 and AD700, good headphone but not very bassy, mainly AD700.

M50, i don't really like, bassy, but small soundstage and some recessed mids.
Pro700mk2, not tested, but from reviews, this headphone has just bass, the rest....
HFi580, bassy, good midrange and treble, a good choice for your taste, but not the best.
HFi780, less punchy, more refined and detailled, better midrange and soundstage, good treble (can be harsh with some recording), one of the best choice in your price range for your taste.

You can also add, SRH840, more balanced, less bass quantity than HFi580/780 but better mids, good treble, correct soundstage.

Also AKG K272HD a very good headphone for the price but require an amp.

All these headphones are very efficient, but a small amp can be required for best results. E7/E9 like you say.

The most comfortable headphones in your list are the audio technica (A and AD series) but they not fit your music taste imo.

However HFi and SRH aren't the most comfortable headphone.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #4 of 22

Quote:
Hey head-fi, I've recently been wanting to get a nice pair of headphones for listening to music (obv) and playing some RPGs on my PC. So, I'll admit, I'm kind of stupid when it comes to headphones, I'm not sure what highs/mid/lows/treble, etc is. If someone knows of a nice guide to read up on, I'll gladly read it. Anyway, I know alot of people here own multiple pairs of headphones so I need some help for my choice. Anyway, I'm really into bass heavy music I guess. I enjoy electro, dubstep (not as much recently), drum and bass, french electro, etc. Along with that, I play alot of RPGs so I'd like the sound of the headphones to be able to cover that (I think that's the soundstage? Completely clueless :p). Now, apparently some headphones need amps to reach their potential. I do plan on buying an AMP eventually, maybe a week or two after I get the headphones. I was planning on getting the E7/E9 combo, the E7 for on the go and the E9 when I'm at home (and plug the E7 in ofcourse.) But if you guys know of any other good combo, feel free to suggest. I also use skype alot (pretty  much 90% of the time I'm on the PC), so not sure if a headphone can replicate voice badly, but might aswell mention it. Also, comfor is extremely important, I love huge ear cups that can hold my entire, I hate my ears being squished so something like the Senns HD25 are out of the question unless I can be convinced that it'll feel as comfortable as other headphones.

I've read up on alot of threads and comparisons and stuff and I'd know what to get at my budget (150-200$) but Amazon is having alot of sales recently and I'm left completely clueless, so I'll link some of the stuff I've seen recommend for electro and then hopefully someone can help me from there.

Ultrasone HFI-580
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-580-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101UHS8
$160

Ultrasone HFI-780
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=pd_sim_e_4
$155 (Cheaper than the 580s right now!)

Audio Technica ATH-PRO700 MK2
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-PRO700-Professional-Headphones/dp/B0046JS1IE
$175

Audio Technica ATH-M50
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B000ULAP4U/ref=pd_cp_e_3
$150

Audio Technica AD700
http://www.amazon.com/Technica-ATH-AD700-Open-air-Audiophile-Headphones/dp/B000CMS0XU
$105 (!!!)

Audio Technica A700
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A700-Audio-Technica-Headphones/dp/B000E9VKUQ/ref=pd_cp_e_2
$115 (!!!)

Hi,

You've picked out some very good phones in your price range.

But all of them sit on your ears other than the two Audio Technica's.
And those two won't give you the kind of bass you seem to want.

The Shure 840 (mentioned above) are also on-ear phones.

Jan 2, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #6 of 22

Quote:
Hi,

Did you mean to say they ARE over ear?  Because the Ultrasones ARE over ear headphones, not on the ear.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #7 of 22

Quote:
     I would recommend either of the Ultrasone models. I'm sure the Audio Technica's are good too but I can't vouch for them for I do not have much experience with them. The 780's, I believe, will give you the best of both worlds when it comes to listening to music and gaming. They have a great sound stage and they have great bass. They don't need to be amped but will they will benefit from one. They have very good isolation too. The headband on them is very tight when you first get them so I suggest stretching them out over a box for a night so they won't squeeze your head as tightly.
     Others I'm sure will suggest different models so I suggest trying out a few pairs before making your final purchase, if possible.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the suggestion, I live in North Jersey so I could probably find an audiophile store somewhere nearby, I'll go take a look around for one.

Quote:

High/treble = the same things = high frequencies.
Mids = voices/instrument
lows = bass

You can remove A700 and AD700, good headphone but not very bassy, mainly AD700.

M50, i don't really like, bassy, but small soundstage and some recessed mids.
Pro700mk2, not tested, but from reviews, this headphone has just bass, the rest....
HFi580, bassy, good midrange and treble, a good choice for your taste, but not the best.
HFi780, less punchy, more refined and detailled, better midrange and soundstage, good treble (can be harsh with some recording), one of the best choice in your price range for your taste.

You can also add, SRH840, more balanced, less bass quantity than HFi580/780 but better mids, good treble, correct soundstage.

Also AKG K272HD a very good headphone for the price but require an amp.

All these headphones are very efficient, but a small amp can be required for best results. E7/E9 like you say.

The most comfortable headphones in your list are the audio technica (A and AD series) but they not fit your music taste imo.

However HFi and SRH aren't the most comfortable headphone.

The AKG is around $270 right now so that's too much for me, sadly. I'll add the SRH840 to the OP.

Quote:
Hi,

I'm not sure how to explain this, I'm fine with how those headphones are because the cups just touch the outer part of your ear, I guess? It's not directly on the top of the middle. I have X11s and I can wear them for as long as I want without any discomfort, I want the same effect.

Quote:
I use a pair of Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro's for all my listening (hip hop, reggae, d&b) and my gaming and they've got all the bass you need combined with the soundstage for gaming.

I should of mentioned that the headphones being collapsible would be nice if possible.

Edit: Just thought I should mention, I'm pretty much set on the Ultrasone 780 at this point but I'll give it a few more days before making the purchase.

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #8 of 22

Quote:
The AKG is around $270 right now so that's too much for me, sadly. I'll add the SRH840 to the OP.

Outchh, its always the Yo-yo with amazon.

Quote:
I'm pretty much set on the Ultrasone 780 at this point

Good choice and the HFi 780 is the only from Ultrasone HFi line to have two cords (for portable use and home use).

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #9 of 22

Quote:
Good choice and the HFi 780 is the only from Ultrasone HFi line to have two cords (for portable use and home use).

This is true but not to be confused with detachable cords that detach directly from the headphones themselves. It has a 1meter cord connected to the headphones. Then it comes with a 4meter extension that plugs into the end of the stock cord, giving you 5meters of cord.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #10 of 22

Quote:

Outchh, its always the Yo-yo with amazon.

Yep, and I'm glad to hear that, apparently the cable was very long and I was kind of annoyed about that for taking it places.

Quote:
This is true but not to be confused with detachable cords that detach directly from the headphones themselves. It has a 1meter cord connected to the headphones. Then it comes with a 4meter extension that plugs into the end of the stock cord, giving you 5meters of cord.

That's nice, it'd be better if the cable was detachable but that isn't too much of a big deal.

Also, can anyone that owns the 780s comment on the comfort of them? I've been reading threads saying the pleather gets sweaty, hot and just generally uncomfortable. If that's the case when/if I receive them, I'll probably buy the DT250 velour pads.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #11 of 22
How about the DT990? I know the premium version is out of your budget, but the pro version is $179 shipped on Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-Open-Studio-Headphones-Ohms/dp/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_cc_2?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1325547039&sr=1-2-catcorr

I used to own the premium 250 ohm version and the sound and comfort are a step above the M50. The DT990 has a large soundstage and well extended bass and highs, but mids are recessed.  According to this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/551826/beyerdynamic-dt990-pro-vs-premium-price, the two variants should be almost identical in sound.

Jan 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 22

Quote:
Also, can anyone that owns the 780s comment on the comfort of them? I've been reading threads saying the pleather gets sweaty, hot and just generally uncomfortable. If that's the case when/if I receive them, I'll probably buy the DT250 velour pads.

The only uncomfortable thing about them, to me, is that they squeeze your head pretty tightly when new. This is easily fixed by stretching them out over a box for a night or just toughing through the discomfort and letting them naturally stretch out over your head.
     The pleather ear pads do not bother me at all. I have had no problems with my ears getting sweaty, sticky or hot. I suppose they could be a little more plush feeling but they do isolate very well. The size of your head and of mine are different I'm sure, so you'll have to see what works for you.
     The DT250 velour pads, I've heard, takes away a little from the initial sound quality but if the they end up being more comfortable, I consider that to be an ok tradeoff

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:03 PM Post #13 of 22

Quote:
Also, can anyone that owns the 780s comment on the comfort of them? I've been reading threads saying the pleather gets sweaty, hot and just generally uncomfortable.

All closed headphones with pleather become hot and sweaty with time imo. HFi780 isn't very comfortable but not uncomfortable,lol. For 2-3 hours no problems, for more, all depends on your head morphology.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:35 PM Post #14 of 22

Quote:

All closed headphones with pleather become hot and sweaty with time imo. HFi780 isn't very comfortable but not uncomfortable,lol. For 2-3 hours no problems, for more, all depends on your head morphology.

Well I wear headphones atleast 8 hours a day, so I'll take comfort over sound quality :p.

Alright, one of these days I'll try going to the B&H superstore in NY and from the video I saw on their website, they have their headphones on display for people to try on.  I'll be getting the 780 if they're comfortable or the DT990 if the 780s comfort disappoints me. So if anyone else has something to mention or suggest, let me know, I won't be purchasing for a few days anyway.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:48 PM Post #15 of 22

Quote:
Well I wear headphones atleast 8 hours a day, so I'll take comfort over sound quality :p.

For 8 hours a day, don't take the HFi780 imo.

DT990 is much more comfortable but the sound signature is really different. If you like mids you ll be disappointed imo. HFi780 is much more lively imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back