Tell me what I need for my DT770-Pro 80 ohms and I will buy it.
May 19, 2008 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

RockCity

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been in this community for a respectable number of years. Unfortunately while I was away studying about headphones and CDs, I've neglected to learn about their PC counterparts. Recently, I bought the DT770-Pro for my new high-end PC. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what to use as my source. A quick search revealed that I could either go with a sound card or DAC/amp combination. Therefore, I am open to any suggestions for either setup. Currently, I am using sound from my IP35-Pro and Vista 64.

Although I am open to either sound card or DAC+amp, I want to clarify that I prefer succinct setups, especially ones that cut out as many unnecessary components as possible. Also, I prefer derivative setups. If something is widely popular or recommended, I want to hop on the band wagon.

Budget is not a concern. However, I prefer bang for the buck rather than expensive as possible.

Thanks.

May 19, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've been in this community for a respectable number of years. Unfortunately while I was away studying about headphones and CDs, I've neglected to learn about their PC counterparts. Recently, I bought the DT770-Pro for my new high-end PC. However, I can't for the life of me figure out what to use as my source. A quick search revealed that I could either go with a sound card or DAC/amp combination. Therefore, I am open to any suggestions for either setup. Currently, I am using sound from my IP35-Pro and Vista 64.

Although I am open to either sound card or DAC+amp, I want to clarify that I prefer succinct setups, especially ones that cut out as many unnecessary components as possible. Also, I prefer derivative setups. If something is widely popular or recommended, I want to hop on the band wagon.

Budget is not a concern. However, I prefer bang for the buck rather than expensive as possible.

Thanks.

First of all the DT770 is a just all bass headphone .

If all you want to hear is bass then thats the headphone for you.

The sound is muddy and really i didnt enjoy the headphone.

A good combo would be the Auzentech Prelude + Corda Areitta.

Meier Amps synergy with this headphone is good.

Btw i do like bass but the DT770s bass is just to overpowering. I had to tone it down alot.

May 19, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 11
I was aware of the DT770's bass characteristic when I bought because I wanted to use it for movies and games first, then music. Secondly, I've noticed that the Auzen Prelude gets mentioned frequently around here. Can it drive the DT770 without an amp? What other amps would go well with Auzen and DT770? Any recommendations for E-mu 0404 as a DAC?

Jun 2, 2008 at 12:05 PM Post #7 of 11
I would get the emu 1616m, if you can afford it. It really cleans up the 770's.

Jun 2, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #8 of 11
If you've spend a bunch of money on a high end PC already, I'd definitely recommend getting an amp. The DT770's are quite muddy unamped in my experience.

If you are planning to game and watch movies primarily, I'd highly suggest an onboard soundcard. I've had some issues with DACs, especially on Vista 64 with multiple sources. Occasionally with my EMU0404, I would be listening to music, receive an IM (I have IM sounds turned on), and audio would cut out completely or become distorted. I believe it may have something to do with the clock.
For someone who doesn't seem to prioritize music as #1, I don't feel like it's worth the hassle.

Therefore, I feel that Benny99 was right on the money with the Auzentech Prelude+Corda Arietta.

btw, I'm running a very similar setup:
IX38 Quad+Vista 64

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:03 PM Post #9 of 11
I personally wouldn't take seriously the amp recommendations of someone who opened his remarks by telling me how bad my headphones suck.

Tim

Jun 2, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #10 of 11
a dac/amp does sound like what you need though - better than having to get a new sound card or anything like that for your comp and its also an amp so it will have more power to push those crazy lows that beyer 770's can bump out
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back