Ted Leo and the Pharmacists - Shake the Sheets
Jul 5, 2005 at 7:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sedminusn

Head-Fier
I'd heard a lot of good things about this album, but I just recently got around to listening to it. First, I have to say that I think this is an amazing album. Just about every song rocks -- I mean crank it up, tap your feet, dance around your house rocks -- and is engaging, fun, and lyrically stimulating. Does anyone else here enjoy this album as much as I do? Also, do you have any other Ted Leo-like music to recommend me? Sort of a "if you like Ted Leo, you'd probably like..." type thing?

Jul 5, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 9
Thin Lizzy
Billy Bragg
Bruce Springsteen

Those are probably his main influences, along with British punk/pop stuff like The Jam and XTC. Basically late 70's/early 80's music. There aren't really any contemporary artists quite like him that I can think of.

Get his second LP The Tyranny of Distance if you haven't already, it's better than Shake the Sheets. It's not as immediate, but it is his best album.

Jul 5, 2005 at 11:35 PM Post #3 of 9
Thanks. I don't have Tyranny of Distance but I'm going to check it out ASAP.

Jul 6, 2005 at 12:37 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by sedminusn
Thanks. I don't have Tyranny of Distance but I'm going to check it out ASAP.

Dont forget "Hearts of Oak"!
icon10.gif

I'm surprised more people around here havent heard of Ted Leo and the Pharmacists!

Jul 6, 2005 at 11:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Hey, nice post. The thread title had me wondering what the heck it was about, but thankfully it wasn't as I had thought.

Actually, it sounds like cool stuff. I've ordered my copy and will now consider myself completely up to date in the music scene.
tongue.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #8 of 9
This is a great album, I used to listen to it on campus all the time in between classes. It kept me awake and in a great mood, or maybe that's because my UM2's were blocking out all the annoyances
cool.gif

Jul 7, 2005 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiez
Me and Mia is probably one of the most rotated song on my playlist now.

Probably the catchiest song about eating disorders you will ever hear.
600smile.gif

If you get a chance, definitely see him live. It's a good time. He dances an Irish jig while playing guitar during "Timorous Me" and he gives maracas to the front row to play during "Ballad of the Sin Eater." He also provides some of the funniest onstage banter I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back