Tecson Caogen headphone pad rolling has changed my life
Dec 24, 2018 at 12:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

legion1capone

100+ Head-Fier
There are times that in this hobby things seem expensive or maybe even the feeling that damn it that upgrade didn't really do what I was hoping. Then there are the times you find something truly excellent, something that makes you smile from ear to ear, tapping your foot to the music and bob your head more than usual. I have just experienced this once again in this hobby I have grown to love.

My main setup:

-PC streaming tidal hifi and masters recording through spdif/ Sony blueray player for movies through coaxial

-Geshelli Labs Enog2 pro dac

-Morrow audio MA3 interconnect/Amazonbasics Coaxial/Bluejeanscable optical cable

-Geshelli Labs Archel pro amp

-Tecsun Caogen headphones

-Brainwavz round velour pads

I have recently shared and posted my impressions of the Tecsun Caogen headphones and in a very positive light. I thought they where very good for the price but had a few flaws. For no other reason than the ZMF Ori suede pads kept rotating while in use I decided to purchase some more pads. I ended up purchasing the Brainwavz round hybrid and velour pads. Both are slightly smaller than the ZMF's, both fit perfectly on the Tecsuns. I do want to point out I haven't even attempted after the initial time I removed the stock pads to get anything in the stock slot pad slot. It is so small and tight it's nearly impossible. Trust me I have tried. So when using all of these pads I have them wrapped around the outside of the headphone; and honestly other than seeing a bit less wood you can't even tell with the Brainwavz. I want to point out I also briefly tried the Mr. Speakers Alpha pads that I have laying around. I didn't care for it at all.

So I started my usual songs up for testing, movie scenes, etc switching back and forth between the ZMF suede pads, then to the Brainwavz velour pads, then again to the Brainwavz hybrid pads and back again. Without to much detail between the differences in all the pads. For the Tecsuns the Brainwavz velour win hands down. It is a match made in heaven. Literally all of the flaws aforementioned in other write ups are gone. Literally I have zero gripes with how these sound. The bass is no longer feeling held back. It is ridiculously impactful and solid. It now is able to resonate just the right amount without overdoing it. Imaging in movies is substantially improved. I no longer notice almost any sounds generating directly from the drivers themselves. It is cohesive and nothing like it sounded with the ZMF suede pads. These pads should come on these straight from Tecsun. The mids are just beautiful now and have that wow factor that makes vocals really shine. But it still doesn't over power the rest of the song. The treble region no longer feels soft and there is a more refined edge to it now. Snaps, rimshots, cymbols, gun fire, etc grab your attention and make you raise an eyebrow that makes you raise your eyebrow (same with the bass impact and punchy feeling).

For instance right now Boz Scaggs Lowdown just came on while I was writing this. I immediately start bobbing my head back and forth while simultaneously uncontrollably lifting my upper lip feeling the soul of the song. I can't ask for more. I don't understand how a pair of $150 headphones and $20 pads can sound this good across the entire frequency range and be an open back headphone. These have nearly the same bass feeling now as my semi closed ZMF classics (T50RP mkiii). In an open back! Granted I will say the Classics do sound a little fuller. The only thing I really wanted more of in the classics was to have more top end and openness. The Tecsun's have that in spades. Oh and have I mentioned how much better the detail retrieval is with the Brainwavz velour pads compared to the ZMF suede pads!? Details are a night and day difference.

The Synergy that is happening in my current setup is absolutely brilliant! I'm honestly going to be selling some of my other amps, dacs, headphones (even my zmf classics), etc because these are that good. Seriously buy this setup and be blown away.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2018 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 13
I think when I bought them on amazon there was about 4-5 pair available. I believe they are in stock on their website also.

Dec 24, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #4 of 13
Mar 28, 2019 at 9:46 AM Post #5 of 13
20190328_213141.jpg

These babies trounced several headphones in my staples .

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:14 AM Post #8 of 13
Nice! I've thought about doing a pad like that on top also. But they are so light it never really bothers me. What pads are those? Cables? Can you describe the sound?

These babies trounced several headphones in my staples .

Mar 30, 2019 at 2:59 AM Post #9 of 13
Nice! I've thought about doing a pad like that on top also. But they are so light it never really bothers me. What pads are those? Cables? Can you describe the sound?

Those are Hifiman Focus pad or A types. Cables are custom acrolink hybrid. I have the ZMF pilot headband on it since the original headband had flacked off. It was bought during pre launch in a mass order.

As I described, it sound like a refined Fostex TH-X00 with better soundstage as in an open headphones. It's the lightest headphones I have and comfort is comparable with my Senns HD700. It's using the biocellulose diaphragm too.

Yes, you can feel the vibration on the wooden cups with tight low end extension with no muddiness. Sometimes I feel it's a better version of X2. The speed is incredible fast.

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 13
I live in China and these are still available here. I have the 300-HP here with me and the sound is enticing. I am having my local dealer get me the upgrade version, which is double the price.

5CEA952B159B972924EE4B97A8348ED9.png
8EDC5FEA000D856F493499389AC2E7B4.png

Sep 15, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #11 of 13
There are times that in this hobby things seem expensive or maybe even the feeling that damn it that upgrade didn't really do what I was hoping. Then there are the times you find something truly excellent, something that makes you smile from ear to ear, tapping your foot to the music and bob your head more than usual. I have just experienced this once again in this hobby I have grown to love.

My main setup:

-PC streaming tidal hifi and masters recording through spdif/ Sony blueray player for movies through coaxial

-Geshelli Labs Enog2 pro dac

-Morrow audio MA3 interconnect/Amazonbasics Coaxial/Bluejeanscable optical cable

-Geshelli Labs Archel pro amp

-Tecsun Caogen headphones

-Brainwavz round velour pads

I have recently shared and posted my impressions of the Tecsun Caogen headphones and in a very positive light. I thought they where very good for the price but had a few flaws. For no other reason than the ZMF Ori suede pads kept rotating while in use I decided to purchase some more pads. I ended up purchasing the Brainwavz round hybrid and velour pads. Both are slightly smaller than the ZMF's, both fit perfectly on the Tecsuns. I do want to point out I haven't even attempted after the initial time I removed the stock pads to get anything in the stock slot pad slot. It is so small and tight it's nearly impossible. Trust me I have tried. So when using all of these pads I have them wrapped around the outside of the headphone; and honestly other than seeing a bit less wood you can't even tell with the Brainwavz. I want to point out I also briefly tried the Mr. Speakers Alpha pads that I have laying around. I didn't care for it at all.

So I started my usual songs up for testing, movie scenes, etc switching back and forth between the ZMF suede pads, then to the Brainwavz velour pads, then again to the Brainwavz hybrid pads and back again. Without to much detail between the differences in all the pads. For the Tecsuns the Brainwavz velour win hands down. It is a match made in heaven. Literally all of the flaws aforementioned in other write ups are gone. Literally I have zero gripes with how these sound. The bass is no longer feeling held back. It is ridiculously impactful and solid. It now is able to resonate just the right amount without overdoing it. Imaging in movies is substantially improved. I no longer notice almost any sounds generating directly from the drivers themselves. It is cohesive and nothing like it sounded with the ZMF suede pads. These pads should come on these straight from Tecsun. The mids are just beautiful now and have that wow factor that makes vocals really shine. But it still doesn't over power the rest of the song. The treble region no longer feels soft and there is a more refined edge to it now. Snaps, rimshots, cymbols, gun fire, etc grab your attention and make you raise an eyebrow that makes you raise your eyebrow (same with the bass impact and punchy feeling).

For instance right now Boz Scaggs Lowdown just came on while I was writing this. I immediately start bobbing my head back and forth while simultaneously uncontrollably lifting my upper lip feeling the soul of the song. I can't ask for more. I don't understand how a pair of $150 headphones and $20 pads can sound this good across the entire frequency range and be an open back headphone. These have nearly the same bass feeling now as my semi closed ZMF classics (T50RP mkiii). In an open back! Granted I will say the Classics do sound a little fuller. The only thing I really wanted more of in the classics was to have more top end and openness. The Tecsun's have that in spades. Oh and have I mentioned how much better the detail retrieval is with the Brainwavz velour pads compared to the ZMF suede pads!? Details are a night and day difference.

The Synergy that is happening in my current setup is absolutely brilliant! I'm honestly going to be selling some of my other amps, dacs, headphones (even my zmf classics), etc because these are that good. Seriously buy this setup and be blown away.
Can you provide more details how you removed the stock pads, and what you had to do to fit on the new pads? I have the phones here and the pads do not look like they are designed to come off.

BTW: I can still get the Grassroots and 300 phones locally here, so if you want to get a pair, PM me and we can work something out.

Preview Clipping (12∶11∶06 AM).jpg

Sep 15, 2021 at 8:31 AM Post #13 of 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back