Teclast X30 : X-Series: New Model - Basic FLAC, MP3 Player, TF Card, Clean SQ.
Mar 3, 2012 at 8:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 93

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier

DIRECT LINK TO FIRMWARE in ENGLISH with TUTORIAL for Windows 32 bit Machines: LINK

Link updated 04/02/2012 due to problem with the zip file reported by a user. Hopefully all is fixed. If not report in thread and please PM me with details. Thank You.

04/02/2012: Picutres Added to First Post at bottom of post.

03/30/2012: Firmware Upgrade Tutorial with Englsh translation of Upgrade Tool Firmware Version 01.20.0000: http://www.head-fi.org/t/599124/teclast-x30-x-series-new-model-basic-flac-mp3-player-tf-card-clean-sq#post_8195665

03/28/2012: Sound Quality Initial Impression Added : http://www.head-fi.org/t/599124/teclast-x30-x-series-new-model-basic-flac-mp3-player-tf-card-clean-sq#post_8195667

PREAMBLE:

Teclast has a variety of players, each belonging to a different series. 

I think we, here at Head-Fi are most familitar with the T-Series (due to the T51 aka s:flo2) and somewhat of the X-Series due mostly to the new hifi-oriented, budged player model X19HD (or perhaps its earlier predecessor models, the X19+, and X19). The T51 and X19HD are in line with Teclast's "HIFI" concept, and hopefully the successor to the T51 will be available in about a year: the T59.

Back to THIS THREAD.

Back to the X30.

The X30 falls somewhere between standard and premium. It's also a member of the "primarily for audio/no-nonsense/MP3-player" genre that makes up the X-Series, though it does have some limited video playback capability, why would you want to watch a movie on a LARGE postage-stamp sized screen? Not me, I just want to see some decent(ish) UI (rather than squint at a tiny OLED), and select my files, menus, and play my music.

Why am I writing a post about it? Because there isn't any information out there on it, at least none I could find in any of the English-Language Forums.

Why did I get one? On a whim, lark, whatever... Mostly because of curiousity and, owning 2 T51's (gifted one/kept one), I was curious about the SQ of Teclast's other models, especially after reading about the X19HD, which has some interesting features, but unfortunately for me, no TF/microSDHC card slot (i.e. a dealbreaker for my purposes). Additionally, one of my Sansa Fuze's has just broken on me, and looking at the costs of getting another refurbished unit, well, the prices have soared to the neiborhood of a hundred lately... I'm used to something below fourty. The X30 fits the specs nicely. On paper. Lets see what my experience with it is like.

Everyone (Well, ME, anyway) needs a "throwaway/I-won't-cry-about-it-if-I-get-mugged" player to run around with. I'm sure most of us do, hence, the use of "Everyone".

INTRODUCTION:

This is a no-nonsense DAP, rather than a full-fledged Cowon-Style "everything but the kitchen sink" PMP.

That said, what is the purpose of this thread? Well, Since I couldn't find any information about the X30 on Head-Fi, or any other English-speaking site out there, and since I was also curious enough to bother ordering one of these devices, I figured I might as well keep a journal of my experience with it and share that on Head-Fi. It's what Music PPL do, right?

Yeah, so being that I was curious for something in a similar product category to my recently departed Fuze: simple, small (but not microscopic screen-size-wise), with physical key controls (non-touchscreen), FLAC-capable (and MP3 of course), card-slot (in this case TF/(microSDHC)), with a decent physical build quality (metal alloy frame, sturdy plastic exterior (vs. all-plastic of the Sansa Fuze). The Fuze is really what it is competing with/replacing in my stable, and this is all an exploration about whether or not the X30 can cut the mustard...

...Or will it really, really, really be a "throwaway" device? Time will tell.

Using my remaining Sansa Fuze as a "standard candle" by which to compare it with the X30, here are some initial impressions:

SIZE:

The Teclast X30 is about 4/5 the  WIDTH as a Sansa Fuze. The X30 being slimmer, The Fuze being wider.

The Sansa Fuze is about 4/5 the HEIGHT of the Teclast X30 by comparison. The Fuze being shorter, and the X30 being taller.

The Teclast X30 is about 2/3 the DEPTH of the Sansa Fuze. The X30 being thinner, while the Fuze is thicker.

[Pictures to follow after an upload]...

WEIGHT:

Despite the metal alloy frame, there is really very very little difference in weight between an X30 and a Sansa Fuze.

LOOKS:

In the looks department, I feel the X30 is a winner. It has an understated, utilitarian elegance, and while not matching the looks of the CUBE C60, or having the same sleek finish, the clear coated black polymer, and silver metal alloy accents & buttons, coupled with silver alloy metal frame make this one nice looking DAP. It won't embarrass you to be seen holding one in public, iDevice or not.

PICTURES:

[This concludes the First Post. I will follow with posts about Settings, Menu Operation, Battery Stats, and SQ/Listening Comparisons/Burn-In in subsquent posts.]

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #2 of 93
[Reserved] For Settings...

MENU OPERATION:

MENU: CHANGING LANGUAGE TO ENGLISH:

OK, Fist off, this is PROBABLY one of the First and most important things to tackle. While there _IS_ a pair of firmware updates already, I have yet to learn how to apply them (Don't laugh, those of you who have a T51 should understand that applying a firmware update to a Rockchip based device isn't a 10-minute, piece-of-cake operation). I'm hoping that one of the two newer firmwares will allow the X30 to REMEMBER that I have set the language to English AFTER I power it off, so I can please please please stop remembering to run through this 60 second routine every time I power it back on. LOL.

1. Slide the SWITCH on the LEFT SIDE of the X30 from the OFF to the ON position.
2. Press and HOLD the LEFT MENU BUTTON for 5 SECONDS, then RELEASE. Player will power on, and firmware will load. Nope, not as slow to load as the 18 or 20 seconds needed to start the T51, but, still... Language! LOL
3. Press LEFT on the CIRCULAR DIRECTIONAL PAD, you will cycle to the SETTINGS MENU icon. Press the LEFT MENU BUTTON.
4. Scroll DOWN by pressing DOWN on the CIRCULAR DIRECTIONAL PAD --> 7 <-- times. You will reach the last Chinese Character (ideogram) in the menu. [To Be Filled In with appropiate Ideogram LATER]
5. Press RIGHT MENU BUTTON to SELECT or ENTER the LANGUAGE MENU.
6. Scroll DOWN by pressing DOWN on the CIRCULAR DIRECTIONAL PAD ---> 2 <--- times. You will reach the enty labeled "English" which, thankfully, is in English.
7. Press RIGHT MENU BUTTON to SELECT the Menu Entry "English" as the Preferred Language Setting.
8. You will see the menus REFRESH and TRANSLATE into the ENGLISH LANGUAGE now.
9. DONE.

Not so hard. THOUGH, it totally kills the time shaved off of the T51's boot up time by needing to go through 8-9 steps to re-set the language to English EVERY time you power on the device... Again, I really hope one of the two newer firmwares improves the IQ of this player and lets it remember to store the Language Setting.

MENU: SETTINGS:

There are 10 Sub-Menus under the main Settings menu. They are as follows:

Settings:

Settings: Music:

Settings: Record Settings:

Settings: Text Settings:

Settings: Radio:

Settings: Picture Settings:

Settings: Display:

Settings: Power Off:

Settings: Language:

Settings: System:

Settings: Exit Setting:

SETTINGS: MUSIC:

Settings: Music:     Here you will find  5 Sub-Menus pertaining to Music settings:

Settings: Music: Repeat Mode:    Here you will find 7 Sub-Menus with options for different modes of track play & repeat:

Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: Once <Default>
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: Repeat Once
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: Folder Once
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: Folder Repeat
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: All Once
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: All Repeat
Settings: Music: Repeat Mode: Intro

Those are fairly self explanatory. For those of you unfamiliar with how a device usually uses the Intro Repeat Mode, it tends to be a 10 second preview mode, where it will play ten seconds, and then skip to the next track. FYI.

Settings: Music: Play Mode:    This Sub-Menu holds 2 options for track sorting & playback order:

Settings: Music: Play Mode: Order <Default>
Settings: Music: Play Mode: Shuffle

These are also farly straigh-forward: the Order mode plays the tracks in the order they list in the Folders, and Shuffle, well, plays randomly, or in shuffled, mode.

Settings: Music: EQ Select:     This Menu has 8 Options for controlling the Equalizer of the device. 6 are pre-set, 2 are configurable. Of the 2 configurable EQ's, one IS User-Configurable, but NON-Parametric:

Settings: Music: EQ Select: Normal <Default>
Settings: Music: EQ Select: MS PlayFX
Settings: Music: EQ Select: Rock
Settings: Music: EQ Select: Pop
Settings: Music: EQ Select: Classic
Settings: Music: EQ Select: Bass
Settings: Music: EQ Select: Jazz
Settings: Music: EQ Select: User EQ

Of those, in another menu, MS PlayFX, and User EQ are both configurable.

Settings: Music: MS PlayFX Set:    This Sub-Menu holds 2 Options to select from:

Settings: Music: MS PlayFX Set: 3D HeadPhone <Default>
Settings: Music: MS PlayFX Set: Pure Bass

Of the two, Pure Bass is the most useful, and aside from Normal, Except for a few RARE headphones that require extreme frequency response correction or bass reduction, which necessitates the User EQ, the only "additional" EQ I like the sound of on this device. It's round, smooth, and deep. However it is artificially over-bassy, and it is off the reservation for "neutrality" LOL, to only be used for "fun mode" or when you're in the "electronic music overdrive" mood. Maybe if you want to let your Sony XB Series headphones unleashed? Moving on...

Settings: Music: User EQ:    This Sub-Menu holds a configurable 5-band Equalizer, NON-parametric.

band 0:    60   Hz,  settable in 3 steps positive gain, left at 0, or 3 steps negative gain.
band 1:  500   Hz.  settable in 3 steps positive gain, left at 0, or 3 steps negative gain.
band 2:      1 kHz,  settable in 3 steps positive gain, left at 0, or 3 steps negative gain.
band 3:      5 kHz,  settable in 3 steps positive gain, left at 0, or 3 steps negative gain.
band 4:      6 kHz,  settable in 3 steps positive gain, left at 0, or 3 steps negative gain.

Pretty Basic...

Again, I'm hoping the newer firmwares give the player the gift of remembering its non-default settings. Wait and see.

Settings: Record Settings:

Settings: Record Settings: Here you will find 1 Sub Menu, the REC Quality Sub-Menu.

Settings: Record Settings: REC Quality: This Sub-Menu holds 2 Options for Quality Settings during Recording.

Settings: Record Settings: REC Quality: High Quality
Settings: Record Settings: REC Quality: Normal Quality <Default>

Settings: Text Settings:

Settings: Text Settings: This Sub-Menu holds Options for Auto Play Times for Text. I'm not sure if it is for autotext in the menus, meaning autoscrolling times/steps, or for ebook type txt files.

Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time:

Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time:
Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time: 2s
Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time: 4s
Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time: 6s <Default>
Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time: 8s
Settings: Text Settings: Auto Play Time: 10s

Settings: Radio:

Settings: Radio: This Sub-Menu holds 2 Sub-Menus with options for Stereo and FM Region.

Settings: Radio: Stereo Switch:

Settings: Radio: Stereo Switch:
Settings: Radio: Stereo Switch: Off <Default>
Settings: Radio: Stereo Switch: On

Settings: Radio: FM Region:

Settings: Radio: FM Region:
Settings: Radio: FM Region: China <Default>
Settings: Radio: FM Region: Europe
Settings: Radio: FM Region: Japan
Settings: Radio: FM Region: U.S.A.

Settings: Picture Settings:

Settings: Picture Settings: Here are all the Options for Picture Settings, which consist of the Auto Play Times, I guess slideshow on-screen intervals.

Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time:

Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time: 2s
Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time: 4s
Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time: 6s <Default>
Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time: 8s
Settings: Picture Settings: Auto Play Time: 10s

Settings: Display:

Settings: Display: This Menu contains 3 Sub-Menu categories: BLight Time (Backlight Timing Controls), Lum (Luminance/Luminosity Contols), and BLight Mode (Backlight Mode Controls).

Settings: Display: BLight Time (aka Backlight Time(out)):

Settings: Display: BLight Time:
Settings: Display: BLight Time: 5s
Settings: Display: BLight Time: 10s
Settings: Display: BLight Time: 15s <Default>
Settings: Display: BLight Time: 20s
Settings: Display: BLight Time: 30s
Settings: Display: BLight Time: Always On

Settings: Display: Lum:

Settings: Display: Lum: This Menu controls Luminosity or Brightness level.

Settings: Display: Lum:
Settings: Display: Lum: 1
Settings: Display: Lum: 2
Settings: Display: Lum: 3 <Default>
Settings: Display: Lum: 4
Settings: Display: Lum: 5

Settings: Display BLight Mode:

Settings: Display BLight Mode: Normal
Settings: Display BLight Mode: Power Save

< MORE TO FOLLOW >

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #3 of 93
[Reserved] For Operation...

UPDATE: 03/26/2012:

I have managed to get the Firmware Update tool to work properly and managed to update the firmware on the X30 to the latest. I will be compiling photos and creating a guide which will go here in the "Operation" segment. Look for it before Wednesday.

UPDATE: 03/28/2012: Expect Firmware Update Tutorial & English Translated Firmware Tool Download by this evening.

UPDATE: 03/29/2012: I was unable to complete the tutorial last night, and will post it at the earliest possible time. Apologies.

UPDATE: 03/30/2012: HERE is the Tutorial for the Firmware Upgrade, I have translated the Upgrade program to English, and it works on Windows XP (and possibly Windows 7) 32bit Machines.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #4 of 93
[Reserved] For Battery Info...

I've gotten around to giving it a proper 24 Hour full-charge, after messing with attempting to flash the firmware to a newer version in my spare time over the past couple of days...

I'll give a runtime breakdown when completed.

UPDATE: 03/26/2012: Now that I've been able to update the firmware to a version that saves its settings, i.e. it remembers that I set it to use English, LOL, I will be keeping the device, and will continue with the review. I will do a runtime test by Sunday of this week.

Well, I didn't do a technical test, though I did time a repeated single file repeat, with an mp3 file @ 320kbps on NOR or FLAT EQ, from 6am  on 03/28/2012 and the battery died on the X30 sometime after I went to bed around midnight and before 7am on 03/29/2012 so it lasted about 18 ~ 24 hours give or take when it acutally died. Again this is a guesstimate. I still plan on doing a timed test before Sunday.

Mar 3, 2012 at 8:48 AM Post #5 of 93
[Reserved] For SQ / Listening / Comparisons

INITIAL IMPESSION on Sound Quality & Character:

03/285/2012:

As the OP mentions, the X30 has a very "Clean" sound. Not too bright, not too analytical, but there was something there. It reminds me as if, and I sat down with all of my headphones and consecutively cycled through them over the course of 3 or 4 albums, that the "voicing" of the device itself reminds me alot like it is somewhere between the sound character of the sansa fuze and the etymotic ER-4 IEMs. Which ER-4? Midway between the ER-4S and ER-4P, if those had a child, and then that child and the sansa fuze had a child, the X30 would be what it sounds like. In General.

What I like about the Sound: Again: Not too Bright, Not too Analytical, but Clean and it isn't Harsh, or Boomy (in fact its a bit bass shy as a source, but not lifeless).

As indicated, It is on the brightish side of Neutral, by a tad or a slight margin.

As far as distortion goes, When I pair it with my FiiO E11, I don't really even notice that it is a Headphone Out and not a true Line Out that is connecting the DAP to the AMP. It really is that clean to my ear. But then what do I know? I'd hope you would just take what I'm hearing as an impression, and trust your own ear, and use this set of impressions as a rule of tumb on a fairly obscure, low budget, yet decent sounding, TF/microSDHC-enabled audi-oriented DAP. What do you expect for south of 50 $USD? Sometimes not much. In this case, after finally resolving the curious issues with firmware hassles, and managing the upgrade, which makes me feel confident enough to use it in the role it was intended: a cheap replacement to a sansa fuze for on-the-go use with or without a cheap travel-friendly amp that is altogether a cheap/disposable package that I don't feel bad if I lose it or something bad happens to it, then I feel it is a good value, with good sound quality for the role.

What it excels with, is sensitive (i.e. "loud") IEMs that have plenty of consumer-friendly voiced bass-oriented style. For example the v-moda bass-freq IEMs that I have had for ages. Those really pair well with this DAP, the cleanliness of the DAP, it's good treble, neutral bass, really help out these arguably very bloated "in a club next to a speaker" sounding IEMs, (which is what I bought them for). They transform into a rather well rounded musical listening experience, sans AMP.

On the other hand, with something that is a little bit more typical for my portable fare, PortaPro/KSC35/G2A, the X30 alone drives them all well enough, maybe some songs don't go as loud as I would wish or have enough current/grunt as I would like or perhaps its fullness of mids/lows as I would like with JUST the X30. But they sound really good. In those situations, the X30 again transforms with the E11 into a MUCH more well rounded performer across the tonal spectrum.

Also, the X30 velcroed to the E11, have VERY complementary chassis styles. Almost hand in glove. 

My Soundesign 349 (a variant of the Sennheiser HD 424) also sounds good from the X30, and again fuller from the X30 paired with either my E11 or my other cheap amp, the Practical Devices XM4 (that I have with a DIP-8 single-to-dual OPA627AU adaptor mounted inside as opamp).

With or without help, it is a pleasing sound. Compared to the sansa fuze (rockboxed) it isn't as dull or muddy, Compared to the fuze via OF & LOD to E11 or XM4 (OPA627AU) it still sounds more clean and even tempered, less dull. 

Operationally I would LOVE to have rockbox on this device. I would also think about upgrading the capacitors for more bass... But this is for Sound Quality Impressions, and I think I did an OK job on my Initial Impressions, and I also think you all now know my overall feelings with the device in general.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #6 of 93
in my opinion this is best simple mp3 player under $30 with normal screen and sd slot, but if you care of sq then you should get x19hd instead for $5-6 more.

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #7 of 93

Quote:
in my opinion this is best simple mp3 player under $30 with normal screen and sd slot, but if you care of sq then you should get x19hd instead for $5-6 more.

Cheap & elegant

Mar 3, 2012 at 9:25 AM Post #8 of 93

So you have heard both and think X19HD has better SQ? Can't say I am impressed by H19HD's SQ myself. But for the price, I guess it is not too bad.

Mar 3, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #9 of 93
with most of iems x19hd sound the same as cowon c2 with bbe. only m50 sounds better on cowon. ipod touch is not so good, but on par rknano players. i dobt have x30 but i had recently another rknano player onda vx320 witch has same screen, exept that was touchscreen,
bass boost on these devices is terrible. i reccomend normal eq.

Mar 3, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 93

I've been following these Teclast players for a while. I was thinking to buy X19HD. But now I also consider the X30 because of its good looking, screen and SD card. Probably I will buy one of them.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fzhidao.baidu.com%2Fquestion%2F352440589.html
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fbbs.imp3.net%2Fthread-10514147-1-1.html

It seems X19HD has a better sound quality. Looking for your further impressions.

Also waiting for X29. Any news about X29, is anyone know? If it will be released soon, I will wait for it.
AfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDetect languageDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddishAfrikaansAlbanianArabicArmenianAzerbaijaniBasqueBelarusianBulgarianCatalanChinese (Simplified)Chinese (Traditional)CroatianCzechDanishDutchEnglishEstonianFilipinoFinnishFrenchGalicianGeorgianGermanGreekHaitian CreoleHebrewHindiHungarianIcelandicIndonesianIrishItalianJapaneseKoreanLatinLatvianLithuanianMacedonianMalayMalteseNorwegianPersianPolishPortugueseRomanianRussianSerbianSlovakSlovenianSpanishSwahiliSwedishThaiTurkishUkrainianUrduVietnameseWelshYiddish
English (auto-detected) » English​

Mar 4, 2012 at 6:54 PM Post #13 of 93

Quote:

Hey FlacVEST well done reviewing an off-the-radar player.

I remember when I was new on head-fi you'd rave about the JVC FX700, printers, and had a picture of some savage portable amp setup.

kiteki, haha thanks! I've been enjoying watching you rave on about different ultimate quality players, toss about various opinions and make debates about the finer points of gear and positions on topics... I have yet to own the FX700, yet, but the FX500 is a favorite of mine, and yeah I still do have some savage portable setups.

Apparently you have quite a bit of nice portable gear too! Cheers! Thanks for the positive comment on the prelims on the review. I have more that I have journaled, but have yet to format nicely for Head-Fi, and need to get the pictures posted as well. I've been having one HECK of a time trying to figure out how to update the firmware for the thing. There's a flash video with pictorial instructions, but sadly FLACvest doesn't read Chinese. LOL. Also, it is a different tool than the T51, otherwise I'm sure I'd be done already...

Mar 5, 2012 at 12:41 PM Post #15 of 93

Quote:
flacvest, when you will update review?

@lvrhs,

I will do a significant update by the end of this week, and most likely before the end, but I would like to organize and edit the photos I've taken and make sure they aren't all crappy, and finish a reasonable burn in period, plus I would like to compare some of my personal reference tracks between players, so I can do a useful reviewing. In any case, there will be something substantial, as I have a good portion of it (mainly the menu guide) pre-written in rough copy.

Thanks for your interest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back