Technics EAH-T700 - An Impressive High-End 2-Way Headphone
May 20, 2016 at 5:17 AM Post #107 of 153
Just bot my Technics T700 from Tokyo. Disclaimer I am do not own a lot of full size headphones, my only other headphone is the JVC wood 01 which I am not too happy with. I do own quite a few iems. To cut it short after 3 days of use, I am pretty happy with them, to me the T700 is quite treble centric due to its extra tweeters, so the sound is very spacious with precise soundstage, very airy. Mids are clean and not sucked out, bass-wise the T700 won't satisfy bass heads but for me these r perfect with good extension, details and decay. Pretty heavy set of headphones but very impressive SQ so far.

May 21, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #108 of 153
  Just bot my Technics T700 from Tokyo. Disclaimer I am do not own a lot of full size headphones, my only other headphone is the JVC wood 01 which I am not too happy with. I do own quite a few iems. To cut it short after 3 days of use, I am pretty happy with them, to me the T700 is quite treble centric due to its extra tweeters, so the sound is very spacious with precise soundstage, very airy. Mids are clean and not sucked out, bass-wise the T700 won't satisfy bass heads but for me these r perfect with good extension, details and decay. Pretty heavy set of headphones but very impressive SQ so far.

Hi, would love to know how much you payed for them in Japan. thanks for the feedback!

May 21, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #112 of 153

Thats interesting because i keep hearing 1000-1200 euro price tag. but JPY85,500 is 691.75645 Euros acording to google currency converter at this time. might have to go to Japan and buy them!

Thanks!

Wow, at that price, that's somewhat fairly reasonable given it's flaws.
Still not sure if it's competitive even at that price... many will not like the treble presentation I imagine.

Jun 28, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #113 of 153

Bought mine a few days ago in Tokyo for 90000 yen. The S/N of my pair is 634, which may suggest Technics haven't sell a lot of them yet. I haven't owned a lot of full-size headphones (only had the beyer T70p, ATH A2000, and the Sony SA5000), but I am happy with the T700.
It's damn heavy, yet comfortable & easy to carry. An iPhone (or the Samsung S7Edge I have) can drive this thing well, although a better dac/amp gives much more details and “dynamic” feeling. It's very sensitive to bad recordings, even on an iPhone.
The T700 is relatively balanced, though I think it is a bit more lower-mid centered than the T5p MKII. Its bass is pretty detailed but the T700 does NOT have a LOT of bass. Its mids are a bit far, which I think is what I dislike. Its treble is very detailed, as is the overall performance. I think the overall sound is a bit colored, and feels a bit like older Japanese HPs, albeit with better details and so.

I use a Chord Mojo to drive this headphone and listen primarily to anime songs/game soundtracks. Havent tried a lot of classicals on this thing, but I think it should perform OK. However, I definitely think one should try one of those before buying, as there may be a taste problem. I did choose the T700 over T5p MKII (partly for the price) and decided to buy the T700 only a few minutes after I first listened to it (before this I had no idea what brand Technics is). But I dont think a lot of people will be like me.

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:08 AM Post #114 of 153

The T700 is relatively balanced, though I think it is a bit more lower-mid centered than the T5p MKII. Its bass is pretty detailed but the T700 does NOT have a LOT of bass. Its mids are a bit far, which I think is what I dislike. Its treble is very detailed, as is the overall performance. I think the overall sound is a bit colored, and feels a bit like older Japanese HPs, albeit with better details and so.

Try pushing the headphone closer to your ears (making the pads smaller).
This should clear up some of the sound problems you're hearing.

I really think they should have released it with shallower ear pads. 

Jun 28, 2016 at 6:18 AM Post #115 of 153
Try pushing the headphone closer to your ears (making the pads smaller).
This should clear up some of the sound problems you're hearing.

I really think they should have released it with shallower ear pads. 

I tried, but I think I like the original sound better. I don't know why, but pushing the headphone actually made the mids farther for me. Also, this made the soundstage significantly smaller for me.
I think it is somehow related to the speakers' configuration and the proper wearing of the headphone may be pretty personal.

Jun 28, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #116 of 153
I tried, but I think I like the original sound better. I don't know why, but pushing the headphone actually made the mids farther for me. Also, this made the soundstage significantly smaller for me.
I think it is somehow related to the speakers' configuration and the proper wearing of the headphone may be pretty personal.

Try running it in for longer, mine is like 1.5mths and the bass is more detailed and the treble less peaky.

Aug 17, 2016 at 3:01 PM Post #117 of 153
Anybody with more "ears-on" experience who wants to share their opinion? I listened to these for a few minutes at a show in June and was pretty impressed, but I wonder how they match up against other recent offerings such as Ether Flow and Focal Elear.

Looking for a neutral, detailed representation with a large sound stage and tight fast bass.

Regards,
Frank

Jan 7, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #118 of 153
First I´ve seen these cans in Tokyo, last February, at the Yodobashi Akiba store. They were locked up behind glass, (they weren´t on sale yet, just on display), so I didn´t have the chance to listen to them. But I was sooooo impressed with the way they look, I would have bought them without trying, despite the high price. Literally. Now I feel lucky that i couldn´t. My friend bought them, and gave me a couple of hours to listen to them. I used my Fiio X3II, with high quality FLAC tracks, from electronic (Underworld, Black Dog), to jazz (Brian Bromberg, Pat Metheny), even rock, metal (Opeth, Metallica, AIC). I was not impressed at all. Sibilant, annoying. The extra tweeter wasn´t necessary a good idea, and the rest of the sound... Well, i liked the bass, dynamics, but it didn´t save the cans. For this high price, this is a poor effort from Technics. Maybe with a high quality (and expensive) portable amp, the result would be better, but the FiioX3II is a good sounding, and powerful DAP, and I wouldn´t carry a brick (DAP-amp combo) in my pocket anyway. I still love the looks, the materials, the quality feel, but that´s all about it.

Jan 7, 2017 at 8:56 PM Post #119 of 153
  Anybody with more "ears-on" experience who wants to share their opinion? I listened to these for a few minutes at a show in June and was pretty impressed, but I wonder how they match up against other recent offerings such as Ether Flow and Focal Elear.

Looking for a neutral, detailed representation with a large sound stage and tight fast bass.

Regards,
Frank

First I´ve seen these cans in Tokyo, last February, at the Yodobashi Akiba store. They were locked up behind glass, (they weren´t on sale yet, just on display), so I didn´t have the chance to listen to them. But I was sooooo impressed with the way they look, I would have bought them without trying, despite the high price. Literally. Now I feel lucky that i couldn´t. My friend bought them, and gave me a couple of hours to listen to them. I used my Fiio X3II, with high quality FLAC tracks, from electronic (Underworld, Black Dog), to jazz (Brian Bromberg, Pat Metheny), even rock, metal (Opeth, Metallica, AIC). I was not impressed at all. Sibilant, annoying. The extra tweeter wasn´t necessary a good idea, and the rest of the sound... Well, i liked the bass, dynamics, but it didn´t save the cans. For this high price, this is a poor effort from Technics. Maybe with a high quality (and expensive) portable amp, the result would be better, but the FiioX3II is a good sounding, and powerful DAP, and I wouldn´t carry a brick (DAP-amp combo) in my pocket anyway. I still love the looks, the materials, the quality feel, but that´s all about it.

The discussion here is a little unrealistic, in my opinion.  IMO, these headphones were designed primarily to appeal to the Japanese domestic market, and therefore exhibit the typical traits: They have the brand of Japan`s biggest electronics company, they are extremely well made (but heavy), they are treble and mid centric, they claim to include technological advancements (that inaudible tweeter and the sliding yoke mechanism).   And most importantly, given the comparisons being requested above, here in Japan they are half the price, or less, of the Flow and Elear.  I know they were marketed in a higher bracket overseas, but I`m pretty sure their true value is where they`re positioned in the Japanese domestic market.  For closed headphones, I would not compare them to the Ether C, or beyer T5p, for example.  Maybe the beyer 1770.  Mid range audiophile bracket, like the TOTL JVC or ATH offerings.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back