Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:29 PM Post #166 of 273
I'm loving the sound and how comfortable the az80s are. Better than the XM5s for me. I wonder about the lifespan of the app though. Technics isn't really known for their wireless buds and headphones, not like Sony or Sennheiser, so I hope the app stays viable for some time, otherwise we have a non customizable set of buds in a few years. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but it's a big enough concern for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #167 of 273
I'm loving the sound and how comfortable the az80s are. Better than the XM5s for me. I wonder about the lifespan of the app though. Technics isn't really known for their wireless buds and headphones, not like Sony or Sennheiser, so I hope the app stays viable for some time, otherwise we have a non customizable set of buds in a few years. Maybe I'm looking too much into this, but it's a big enough concern for me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?
I don't understand the concern, what do you mean by non customizable? At worse there will be no further updates and everything will stay as is.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:35 PM Post #168 of 273
I don't understand the concern, what do you mean by non customizable? At worse there will be no further updates and everything will stay as is.
I would assume that no further updates would mean the app is eventually abandoned. With each android or IOS update it could be possible that we can’t even use the app down the road. All conjecture of course but I would assume a bigger player would continue to update apps since they have more stake in the game with other models.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:46 PM Post #169 of 273
I would assume that no further updates would mean the app is eventually abandoned. With each android or IOS update it could be possible that we can’t even use the app down the road. All conjecture of course but I would assume a bigger player would continue to update apps since they have more stake in the game with other models.
I'd be more worried about the earbuds battery getting weaker or the earbuds stop working (planned obsolescence )within 2.5 to 3 years instead of the app getting abandoned.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:36 PM Post #170 of 273
I'd be more worried about the earbuds battery getting weaker or the earbuds stop working (planned obsolescence )within 2.5 to 3 years instead of the app getting abandoned.

Those are good points. I guess I should just assume I'm upgrading in a few years anyway. Now that I have the wireless buds figured out, on to find some good wired headphones! Thanks, everyone!

Dec 24, 2023 at 7:48 AM Post #172 of 273
You will just have to hope Technics keeps bringing new buds out every few years, so they will have to keep the app up to date... Anyway like with my sony XM4s I very rarely use the app now that I have the buds setup and sounding the way I want.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #173 of 273

Technics is owned by Panasonic. Technics, on its own, has been in the audio game for longer than I’ve been alive (43 years). I have a set of Technics cans from 1988. I also used to have a set of higher end Technics 1200 series turntables that were gifted to me by an uncle who was a DJ. I’ve since gifted those to my son who is into music production. I believe they still offer the same model turntable today.

I would think that the only reason they would let their app (of all things) become obsolete is if they consolidated all of their products to one app, or went out of business.

The longest lifespan I've ever gotten out of a set of TWS buds is four years. Again, I would think that Technics will bring products to market for at least another four years.

Also, if the app stopped working you would only lose the ability to customize the touch functions. Outside of that, all the features and functionality of the buds themselves would be retained and able to be used by the touch pads on either bud.

Dec 25, 2023 at 1:12 PM Post #174 of 273
Ive just got these today for xmas and they are not as bassy as the sony xm4s but I use foam tips with the sony's, so that might be why, plus I have the bass quite high so I dont notice the bass increase when using ambient and noise canceling. But other then not being as bassy, they are brilliant in every other wa., Unlike the sony's they are stupidly easy to take out of the case and they stay in the ears. I think the sq is on par with the sonys, but I need to mess around with the manual eq some more as the vocals dont seem to be as crisp and clear as the sony's.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #175 of 273
Ive just got these today for xmas and they are not as bassy as the sony xm4s but I use foam tips with the sony's, so that might be why, plus I have the bass quite high so I dont notice the bass increase when using ambient and noise canceling. But other then not being as bassy, they are brilliant in every other wa., Unlike the sony's they are stupidly easy to take out of the case and they stay in the ears. I think the sq is on par with the sonys, but I need to mess around with the manual eq some more as the vocals dont seem to be as crisp and clear as the sony's.
That’s interesting, I found the 80’s to have quite a bit more stable low end than the XM5’s (like by a huge margin). I have the low end taken all the way out of the 80’s with the Technics EQ and they still have more bass than the XM5’s with a bass heavy EQ curve and clearbass at 10 with the Sony EQ.

The main difference I can hear is that with the settings mentioned above, the XM5’s start to sound pretty flubby with a good bit of boominess and lose clarity.

Right out of the box the 80’s had quite a bit more bass than the XM5’s and a much different EQ at flat. If you’re looking for clarity in the mids, tweak the EQ and you’ll find them pretty quickly.

Initially, I think there is some coloring that the XM5’s get away with because they are a good bit louder than pretty much every other option on the market. I think that also hurts them in some areas though. Once you start playing with their mid-high to high end they start to break up a little sooner and get kinda lifeless because of the volume increase.

I enjoy the XM5’s a lot (now that I use AZ80 tips on them) and find myself using them quite a bit (now that they’re not so cumbersome to get into my ears. Again, AZ80 tips). But, if I want to get close to that IEM clarity with a full low end and pick apart instruments with easy musical separation, the 80’s excel. And, they do it well with just about every genre of music.

I’d say start to play with the EQ and see where that gets you. Also, it’s interesting that you’re not hearing a lot of low end out of the 80’s. Maybe play with the tips a bit more. I was initially turned off at how much low end they had, and as I mentioned, I had to EQ it all the way out. Others have mentioned the same thing in this thread, so I’m assuming that is the norm. It sounds like either you’re not getting a good seal, or maybe there’s a setting or external EQ that’s affecting something.

Also, I wrote all that and just noticed that you said that you’re comparing them to the XM4’s haha. The foam tips on the XM4’s may give them a bit more bass than the XM5’s, but the 80’s should still be noticeably higher in the low department haha.

Dec 25, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #176 of 273
That’s an example of one of my “general listening” EQ settings for listening to something on Apple Music on a 14Pro at 24bit/44.1kHz Lossless.

If you listen to something like One Chance by knock2 & NGHTMRE, it has an extreme low-end, as well as, a crazy high-end that will easily get sibilant. You can tune the EQ to separate everything in the song easily, especially the sub-bass around the last 11 sec. of the song.

If you listen to the XM4/XM5 then compare the AZ80 directly using that sub-bass line, it’s represented much better, with more clarity, and can be heard more easily with the AZ80’s. Even with the low-end EQ’d all the way out of the 80’s, that sub-bass is noticeably more clear than with the Sony’s.

If you’re not hearing something comparable, maybe a different tip size would help out. 👍🏼

Attachments

• IMG_2510.png
    IMG_2510.png
    180.8 KB · Views: 0
Dec 25, 2023 at 5:40 PM Post #177 of 273
I agree with everything you have written. I sold off my 5s a d kept the 80s. I love them. I'm using Azla Sednas and the bass to me is much better in terms of depth, width, texture amd impact on the AZ80s. They sounded good out of the box, but they definitely improve from there with a fe hours of use.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:52 PM Post #178 of 273
I agree with everything you have written. I sold off my 5s a d kept the 80s. I love them. I'm using Azla Sednas and the bass to me is much better in terms of depth, width, texture amd impact on the AZ80s. They sounded good out of the box, but they definitely improve from there with a fe hours of use.
I was wondering if burn-in even does anything anymore with all the algorithm based driver control. Either way, I did it anyway haha! Pink noise and freq sweeps for a few hours. I’m sure it still breaks them in a little and softens up the drivers a bit, but I wasn’t sure if the algorithms would just account for the wear and adjust.

I can’t say if it improved anything since I did it right out of the box, but if it did, I’m definitely happy with them.

Dec 25, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #179 of 273
That’s interesting, I found the 80’s to have quite a bit more stable low end than the XM5’s (like by a huge margin). I have the low end taken all the way out of the 80’s with the Technics EQ and they still have more bass than the XM5’s with a bass heavy EQ curve and clearbass at 10 with the Sony EQ.

The main difference I can hear is that with the settings mentioned above, the XM5’s start to sound pretty flubby with a good bit of boominess and lose clarity.

Right out of the box the 80’s had quite a bit more bass than the XM5’s and a much different EQ at flat. If you’re looking for clarity in the mids, tweak the EQ and you’ll find them pretty quickly.

Initially, I think there is some coloring that the XM5’s get away with because they are a good bit louder than pretty much every other option on the market. I think that also hurts them in some areas though. Once you start playing with their mid-high to high end they start to break up a little sooner and get kinda lifeless because of the volume increase.

I enjoy the XM5’s a lot (now that I use AZ80 tips on them) and find myself using them quite a bit (now that they’re not so cumbersome to get into my ears. Again, AZ80 tips). But, if I want to get close to that IEM clarity with a full low end and pick apart instruments with easy musical separation, the 80’s excel. And, they do it well with just about every genre of music.

I’d say start to play with the EQ and see where that gets you. Also, it’s interesting that you’re not hearing a lot of low end out of the 80’s. Maybe play with the tips a bit more. I was initially turned off at how much low end they had, and as I mentioned, I had to EQ it all the way out. Others have mentioned the same thing in this thread, so I’m assuming that is the norm. It sounds like either you’re not getting a good seal, or maybe there’s a setting or external EQ that’s affecting something.

Also, I wrote all that and just noticed that you said that you’re comparing them to the XM4’s haha. The foam tips on the XM4’s may give them a bit more bass than the XM5’s, but the 80’s should still be noticeably higher in the low department haha.
The technics doesnt have that punchy bass like the xm4s have, maybe because it hasnt the "clear bass" slider like on the xm4s and you can only use the EQ to change the sound.. I still havent got that crisp and clear sound from these yet as some sounds blends together more so then the sony's but Im still playing with the EQ

These are the first pair of buds that seem to stay in my ears and Ive had 3pairs now not including the technics. Im loving how the technics kind of snaps into your ears like a magnet,, because that was the worst thing about the sony xm4s, they would work there way out of my ears over time and fall out within a few mins if Im talking.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #180 of 273
Just an update on my comparison impressions for the recent buds I wound up keeping for anyone interested (AZ80, XM5, QC Ultra, Elite 10, and APP2 in no particular order). I planned on getting them all in, testing them, then keeping the one I liked most. Well, that didn’t happen. I did return the B&O’s and B&W’s, as both were considerably more money for less features, connectivity issues, and sound quality that wasn’t mind blowing. I also retuned the Beats Studio Pro+’s as they were less than stellar in every aspect.

For me, the AZ80’s still take the top spot for best sound quality, easy of use, and functionality. Their connectivity is also only rivaled by the AirPod Pro 2’s, and that’s saying something since they’re a part of the Apple ecosystem. The app is just right. It has just enough features to be comprehensive, but not enough to be convoluted or cumbersome (like the Sony app). I like them quite a bit. I still find myself getting lost in them from time to time.

If ANC is something that you use frequently, I put the AZ80’s in 3rd place. They’re out done by a fair margin by the APP2’s and QC Ultras. I find the AZ80’s ANC to be just a little better than the Sony’s and Jabra’s. The AZ80’s ANC is more than acceptable for my purposes, but I mention it because if you’re directly comparing them to the APP2’s or QC Ultra’s there is enough of a difference to be noticeable. When you put the APP2’s or Ultra’s in, the surrounding world just about disappears even at low volume levels. So, if ANC is your biggest box to check and you predominantly use Apple products, go with the APP2’s. If you use an iPhone but don’t necessarily need to melt into the Apple ecosystem and also appreciate other device brands, go with the QC Ultra. With an iPhone, the APP2’s have a nicer ANC than the QC Ultra’s, but the Ultra’s are nicer across more devices (and are ridiculously comfortable).

The Jabra Elite 10’s are a workhorse in the bud market. Functionality and reliability is top on their list. Never a connection issue, and they seamlessly connect to whatever two devices they were last connected to every time. Sound wise, they’re acceptable, but they don’t do anything very well, or poorly, they’re just meh (for lack of a better term). To make up for that, you can mold them with their EQ any way that you like and get more than acceptable sound quality from them. The app facilitates this well since you can save as many custom EQ settings as you like. The app is also simple, but powerful. ANC is acceptable, but causes a bit of internal white noise. The spatial sound feature is terrible (at least on my set). It colors the sound terribly, and adds a whole lot of noise to the signal. I just leave it off completely. I feel like I could beat the crap out of the Elite 10’s and get years of use out of them. I had a set of Elite 3’s for four years (and they still work), so I’m sure that would be true. That’s said, they get used the least.

I’m super surprised with the Bose QC Ultra’s. I held off on buying them for a long time. They actually didn’t even make the list at all, but I finally decided to get a set since I had heard everything else out there. I’ve never been very impressed with the sound signature of Bose in-ears, so I fully planned on skipping them. I’m very glad I didn’t. They are fun, and they are COMFORTABLE!! Once you dial in the ear tip and “wing” they feel excellent. The ANC is also excellent, only outdone by the APP2’s. However, the overall sound quality is a bit better than the APP2’s. This is the first time I’ve actually enjoyed a Bose in-ear product. They sound great for movies and shows; big bass, musical mids, and sparkly highs (the highs are subdued just a bit and the overall EQ is a bit scooped). Again, they’re fun to listen to. They’re a great overall, everyday choice for the casual audio/video consumer. A few areas that they miss the mark for me are the case size, ease of removing from the case, all the case light signals, vague update procedure, and glitchy connectivity. If you do anything too quickly with them, they tend to get confused. For me, they’re a great “nightstand” bud.

The XM5’s …I had the highest expectations for these, and still do actually. Every time I put them in, it’s like I’m giving them another chance to redeem themselves haha! I really like the sound signature. I couldn’t get rid of them because I felt like I’d be missing something if I did. That is total consumer BS, but I kept them nonetheless. Their sound quality is great, they’re also fun to listen to. They have an easy going and relaxed sound that makes them very easy to listen to. Once EQ’d, they do have magical moments. The AZ80’s beat them out because of consistently better sound quality and a wider range of adjustment. But, there’s enough of a difference to make me keep giving them a chance. However, If I could only keep just one set, the XM5’s wouldn’t be it. They are cumbersome in just about every way to use. They’re hard to get out of the case, the stock ear tips are hard to get in your ear, the app is convoluted, overloaded, and vague all at the same time, and the operation of the touch pads is the least tactile of the bunch. There are quite a few instances where I’ve tapped a pad and didn’t know if I actually did anything. Quite a few times still that I’ve accidentally tapped a pad and it has done something that I didn’t want it to. They are the least functional of the bunch and I almost always use them when I know I’m going to be stationary for awhile. I guess I’m just a glutton for punishment.

Another outlier that I didn’t put too much thought into was the AirPod Pro 2’s. They pleasantly surprised me much like the QC Ultra’s. I’ve never liked any of the versions of AirPod in the past, these sure ain’t them. The ANC is fantastic. That’s a lot coming from me because I didn’t normally care that much to use ANC. The APP2’s make me want to use it. You can’t even tell it’s on and it just blocks out everything. There is no pink noise in the background, outside sound is just gone. A little TMI, but here goes anyway …I was in the bathroom the other day and I had the vent fan on. Not thinking of or paying attention to anything in particular I put in the APP2’s. I thought the fan burnt out while I was sitting there. Since I wasn’t paying attention to the sound of the fan and was occupied with other tasks, that background noise just went away and I thought the fan died. I got up, checked the switch, still nothing …until I realized that I put the APP2’s in, took an ear out and there was the fan haha. Definitely a forehead slap moment, but I was impressed to say the least haha! The sound quality is good (better than the Jabra Elite 10’s) and just about on par with the QC Ultra’s. The sound is much better when EQ’d, but unfortunately you have to EQ them with an external app as they can’t be EQ’d from the settings in your phone (no custom settings at least). They’re supposed to auto EQ based on your ear, but I don’t know how well they’re doing. They sound good, but I would tweak them differently than the “auto” EQ has. Connectivity is as solid as it gets. Spatial Audio is the best of the bunch. With a better EQ they could be great, but they do start to actually distort at the highest of volumes with certain genres (none of the other brands do that). They integrate into the Apple ecosystem exceptionally well and just become a part of life on the go. They are an excellent choice for just about everyone on the planet. I can see why they’re so popular. If you aren’t an audio freak, APP2’s would be more than adequate for almost every circumstance.

So, for my personal ranking (which is so preferential and only relative to my list of needs)

AZ80
APP2 / QC Ultra (very close tie)
XM5
Elite 10

Don’t waste the time or money on the B&O, B&W, or Beats Studio Pro +. I don’t see any scenario that any of those three excel over the few mentioned above.

That ranking list may seem skewed because the XM5’s are under the APP2’s and QC Ultra’s, but for me, the overall terrible user experience of the XM5 is not redeemed by its sound quality. This is one reason I don’t carry around a mobile amp and IEM’s anymore. It’s just too cumbersome and intentional. Personally, I want the experience to incorporate itself into my life, not the need to accommodate the product.

Either way, I hope I didn’t muddy the waters even further and have helped in some small way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back