Technics EAH-AZ80 True Wireless Earbuds
Dec 8, 2023 at 3:25 PM Post #151 of 273
Just tried listening to some youtube videos with my phone and the AZ80s... Ouch. There`s a ton load of latency. The delay between the video and the sound must be nearing 1 second. Tried using my PC instead and the problem is the same, so obviously the AZ80s are the culprit. Any ideas or tips on how I can fix this?

Dec 8, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #152 of 273
Just tried listening to some youtube videos with my phone and the AZ80s... Ouch. There`s a ton load of latency. The delay between the video and the sound must be nearing 1 second. Tried using my PC instead and the problem is the same, so obviously the AZ80s are the culprit. Any ideas or tips on how I can fix this?
You need to lower the sound quality to SBC

Dec 8, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #153 of 273
In app settings go to "Suppression of sound interruptions and delays" and choose "Suppress sound delay", might need to lower codec quality to Best Effort as well.

Dec 10, 2023 at 10:41 AM Post #154 of 273
In app settings go to "Suppression of sound interruptions and delays" and choose "Suppress sound delay", might need to lower codec quality to Best Effort as well.
Many thanks. This pretty much soved it!

Dec 12, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #155 of 273
Trying to get on the AZ80 train. Hoping this thread can push me on to it.

Has anybody here compared these with the Jabra Elite 10s? If so, which one would you prefer?

I was looking at the Jabra, the Sony XM5s and these. I don't really like the Sonys due to my previous experience with the Xm3s ( I could never get a good fit )

My music taste is all over the place.

My use case is : 1or 1.5 in the gym (less cardio, more heavy lifting ) + 1-2 hours of meetings over teams + watch/ listen to music on my note 10 plus during work. I don't think I'll use these for travel since I have a good pair of ANC headphones.

I think I prefer the the Harman sound signature (not an audiophile , not even close).

Dec 12, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #156 of 273
Whe
Trying to get on the AZ80 train. Hoping this thread can push me on to it.

Has anybody here compared these with the Jabra Elite 10s? If so, which one would you prefer?

I was looking at the Jabra, the Sony XM5s and these. I don't really like the Sonys due to my previous experience with the Xm3s ( I could never get a good fit )

My music taste is all over the place.

My use case is : 1or 1.5 in the gym (less cardio, more heavy lifting ) + 1-2 hours of meetings over teams + watch/ listen to music on my note 10 plus during work. I don't think I'll use these for travel since I have a good pair of ANC headphones.

I think I prefer the the Harman sound signature (not an audiophile , not even close).
Whether your an audiophile or not, LDAC sounds much sweeter off an android phone than either SBC and AAC. I use my AXZ80s in the gym and when cycling. The passive noise cancellation is is very good but when it get noisy or on the bike, windy, the ANC does a very good job. I sold the XM5s and kept my AZ80s - I haven't heard the the Jabras but I would go with the AZ80s

Dec 13, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #157 of 273
Use them in gym (lifting weights), waiting for kids from their practice in the car, working in the garage, in the office, and on my recent long plane vacation flight.
Passes everything thrown at it with flying colors. Use LDAC Audio Quality codec (astonishingly solid signal quality), Treble+ preset, Azla SendaEarfit MAX Standard eartips.
I suggest getting Bluetooth Codec Changer Android app, so you don't have to go into Developers settings to flip LDAC quality from Best Effort to Best Quality every time you connect them.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #158 of 273
I’ve been out of the game for a few years. I used to be heavy into the balanced armature IEM community back around 2011-2016’ish. My ears are what I’d consider to be fairly critical and very sensitive to high end sibilance and low end flubbery. Unfortunately/fortunately, I became too busy to wear wired monitors and went to off the shelf consumer buds.

I’ve had a few nice sets of buds here and there over the last few years, but settled on the Jabra Elite 3 that I picked up on a whim one day on a random Best Buy trip.

Sound quality on the Jabra 3 was obviously in the “meh” to “decent” range, but functionality was perfect and simple for a busy lifestyle. Fast forward four years to present, I lost the left side on a job-site ( so I thought, it actually wound up being in the laundry, I found it after I jumped back into this rabbit hole a week or so ago haha).

So, my inner obsessive audio weenie kicked in and I went all ham on all of the new “top-tier” consumer buds. Consequently, I’ve managed to acquire, test, and evaluate the Sony XM5, Jabra Elite 10, Senn Momentum 3, Bose QC Ultra, Beats Studio Pro+, B&W Pi7 S2, and Technics AZ80. I even played around with a set of Shokz Openrun Pro’s to see how they’d perform haha.

I’m posting this here because the AZ80’s are, to my ear, the best of the bunch. Musically, they have the widest range compared to all of the others.

I’m a setting tweaker, so I endlessly adjust EQ’s and turn on/off settings, etc. I’ve put them all through their tonal paces.

My biggest box to check was overall sound quality. The AZ80 outperforms all the others easily in my opinion. The closest second was the XM5, but even it lagged a bit far behind in overall detail, detail in the sub low-end range, and clarity in the high freq’s. The AZ80’s reach pretty far down the freq range and actually reproduce those sub freq’s without getting boomy and do it with clarity. To get close to the AZ80 reproduction, you have to fine tune XM5’s EQ and clear bass. Unfortunately, that even becomes a bit muddy when you start to approach the AZ80 level.

The QC Ultra’s have the closest low-end, but lack A LOT of the mid and high detail, crispness, and refined clarity. I mean, it’s a pretty stark difference. The AZ80’s can be EQ’d to sound like the QC Ultra’s, but the Ultras can’t be EQ’d to sound like the AZ80’s. Same for the XM5’s. The AZ80’s have a very capable (sibilance free) mid to high range.

The Jabra Elite 10’s are great for functionality, and have an okay overall sound, but really don’t compete (sound quality wise) with the AZ80’s, XM5’s, Senn’s, or QC Ultras. They’re just great everyday tanks that can be beat on and faithfully perform. They’re more of a functional tool.

I don’t include much about the B&W Pi7 S2’s because, although they sound good, they’re already pretty far behind and outdated in overall features, hi-res audio capability, and usefulness. Not really a smart buy in the current market.

The Beats Pro+’s are… well, Beats. They integrate into IOS well. They have a low end. The rest is unremarkable. Oh yeah! …except for the transparent case, that’s pretty cool. And, I guess they’re cool to sleep with in your ears and not fuss about. No comparison sound quality wise.

ANC isn’t a huge thing for me, but just for reference, the QC Ultra noticeably has the best ANC. If you dial in the fit (very comfortable by the way) the ANC makes just about all background noise vanish.

The ANC in the AZ80 and XM5 are pretty close. Too close for me to differentiate. They hide freqs a little differently though. Both are equally overqualified for my uses.

I haven’t used the “hear-through” modes much, but they all work. Haha!

I sought out to get the best current sound quality bang for my buck. The AZ80’s accomplish that. They can be fun, or on the technical side. They never really get “critical” because there is always a pretty forward low end, but the clarity is there and the sound separation is superior to its competitors. Their range is really great.

To give you an idea, my final EQ for the AZ80 is similar to the custom EQ posted previously early in this thread. My settings from 1K to 10K are slightly different, but close. I’m also using external EQ settings in music apps, etc. as well.

AZ80 - Best overall range and sound. Open and inviting. Can be crispy or warm depending on how you EQ it. Sound separation is excellent. Subtle background details in music can be picked out easier than competitors.

XM5 - Great sound and the EQ can unlock even more hidden potential. Mids/Highs are slightly recessed and can’t be adjusted past a certain point before clarity suffers. Great low end, but you will get flub and boominess past a certain point. So, the full EQ range isn’t really useable. Out of the box they’re a great “all-arounder” sound. I can see why so many people rate them highly. It’s an enjoyable signature.

QC Ultra - Even better “all-arounder” than the XM5 in my opinion. Kind of a set and forget sound signature. Makes everything sound just good …not great …but just good. Has a lot more low end than the XM5. Sub extension reaches the same depth as the AZ80. Mid/High end suffers and is recessed, this can be EQ’d well though. Still lacks the clarity of the XM5, or the even better separation and clarity of the AZ80. The QC Ultra’s are ultra comfortable. I noticed it as soon as I put them in for the first time. Very secure, and melt away. I figured they’d have been more noticeable since they’re in the large side, but they feel very light and buttery when installed.

Senn Momentum 3 - Great Senn sound, but have to be EQ’d. I found them to be kind of muddy and floppy everywhere. I could make them sound great, but even then, I couldn’t pick out the same details in certain songs that I could with the AZ80’s, XM5’s, and QC Ultra’s.

Jabra Elite 10 - Acceptable sound quality. EQ’ing them is a must. The in app EQ really works well. Functionality is unflappable and very reliable.

Beats Studio Pro+ - Noticeably better sound and ANC than the non + Pro version. Beats sound (love/hate/etc.). Zero sound quality comparison to models mentioned above. They function well and are comfortable to sleep in and listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

Sorry for the windy unkempt rant, just had to put it out there somewhere in the ether.

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #159 of 273
I’ve been out of the game for a few years. I used to be heavy into the balanced armature IEM community back around 2011-2016’ish. My ears are what I’d consider to be fairly critical and very sensitive to high end sibilance and low end flubbery. Unfortunately/fortunately, I became too busy to wear wired monitors and went to off the shelf consumer buds.

I’ve had a few nice sets of buds here and there over the last few years, but settled on the Jabra Elite 3 that I picked up on a whim one day on a random Best Buy trip.

Sound quality on the Jabra 3 was obviously in the “meh” to “decent” range, but functionality was perfect and simple for a busy lifestyle. Fast forward four years to present, I lost the left side on a job-site ( so I thought, it actually wound up being in the laundry, I found it after I jumped back into this rabbit hole a week or so ago haha).

So, my inner obsessive audio weenie kicked in and I went all ham on all of the new “top-tier” consumer buds. Consequently, I’ve managed to acquire, test, and evaluate the Sony XM5, Jabra Elite 10, Senn Momentum 3, Bose QC Ultra, Beats Studio Pro+, B&W Pi7 S2, and Technics AZ80. I even played around with a set of Shokz Openrun Pro’s to see how they’d perform haha.

I’m posting this here because the AZ80’s are, to my ear, the best of the bunch. Musically, they have the widest range compared to all of the others.

I’m a setting tweaker, so I endlessly adjust EQ’s and turn on/off settings, etc. I’ve put them all through their tonal paces.

My biggest box to check was overall sound quality. The AZ80 outperforms all the others easily in my opinion. The closest second was the XM5, but even it lagged a bit far behind in overall detail, detail in the sub low-end range, and clarity in the high freq’s. The AZ80’s reach pretty far down the freq range and actually reproduce those sub freq’s without getting boomy and do it with clarity. To get close to the AZ80 reproduction, you have to fine tune XM5’s EQ and clear bass. Unfortunately, that even becomes a bit muddy when you start to approach the AZ80 level.

The QC Ultra’s have the closest low-end, but lack A LOT of the mid and high detail, crispness, and refined clarity. I mean, it’s a pretty stark difference. The AZ80’s can be EQ’d to sound like the QC Ultra’s, but the Ultras can’t be EQ’d to sound like the AZ80’s. Same for the XM5’s. The AZ80’s have a very capable (sibilance free) mid to high range.

The Jabra Elite 10’s are great for functionality, and have an okay overall sound, but really don’t compete (sound quality wise) with the AZ80’s, XM5’s, Senn’s, or QC Ultras. They’re just great everyday tanks that can be beat on and faithfully perform. They’re more of a functional tool.

I don’t include much about the B&W Pi7 S2’s because, although they sound good, they’re already pretty far behind and outdated in overall features, hi-res audio capability, and usefulness. Not really a smart buy in the current market.

The Beats Pro+’s are… well, Beats. They integrate into IOS well. They have a low end. The rest is unremarkable. Oh yeah! …except for the transparent case, that’s pretty cool. And, I guess they’re cool to sleep with in your ears and not fuss about. No comparison sound quality wise.

ANC isn’t a huge thing for me, but just for reference, the QC Ultra noticeably has the best ANC. If you dial in the fit (very comfortable by the way) the ANC makes just about all background noise vanish.

The ANC in the AZ80 and XM5 are pretty close. Too close for me to differentiate. They hide freqs a little differently though. Both are equally overqualified for my uses.

I haven’t used the “hear-through” modes much, but they all work. Haha!

I sought out to get the best current sound quality bang for my buck. The AZ80’s accomplish that. They can be fun, or on the technical side. They never really get “critical” because there is always a pretty forward low end, but the clarity is there and the sound separation is superior to its competitors. Their range is really great.

To give you an idea, my final EQ for the AZ80 is similar to the custom EQ posted previously early in this thread. My settings from 1K to 10K are slightly different, but close. I’m also using external EQ settings in music apps, etc. as well.

AZ80 - Best overall range and sound. Open and inviting. Can be crispy or warm depending on how you EQ it. Sound separation is excellent. Subtle background details in music can be picked out easier than competitors.

XM5 - Great sound and the EQ can unlock even more hidden potential. Mids/Highs are slightly recessed and can’t be adjusted past a certain point before clarity suffers. Great low end, but you will get flub and boominess past a certain point. So, the full EQ range isn’t really useable. Out of the box they’re a great “all-arounder” sound. I can see why so many people rate them highly. It’s an enjoyable signature.

QC Ultra - Even better “all-arounder” than the XM5 in my opinion. Kind of a set and forget sound signature. Makes everything sound just good …not great …but just good. Has a lot more low end than the XM5. Sub extension reaches the same depth as the AZ80. Mid/High end suffers and is recessed, this can be EQ’d well though. Still lacks the clarity of the XM5, or the even better separation and clarity of the AZ80. The QC Ultra’s are ultra comfortable. I noticed it as soon as I put them in for the first time. Very secure, and melt away. I figured they’d have been more noticeable since they’re in the large side, but they feel very light and buttery when installed.

Senn Momentum 3 - Great Senn sound, but have to be EQ’d. I found them to be kind of muddy and floppy everywhere. I could make them sound great, but even then, I couldn’t pick out the same details in certain songs that I could with the AZ80’s, XM5’s, and QC Ultra’s.

Jabra Elite 10 - Acceptable sound quality. EQ’ing them is a must. The in app EQ really works well. Functionality is unflappable and very reliable.

Beats Studio Pro+ - Noticeably better sound and ANC than the non + Pro version. Beats sound (love/hate/etc.). Zero sound quality comparison to models mentioned above. They function well and are comfortable to sleep in and listen to podcasts or audiobooks.

Sorry for the windy unkempt rant, just had to put it out there somewhere in the ether.
Thank you so much for this. I was looking for a detailed comparison for these earbuds.

As someone who got into IEMs around 2011 - 2014 ( loved my Westone 4rs and Unique Melody) and who fell off the audiophile train as years progressed, I was kind of expecting similar sound quality from the latest and greatest earbuds in the current market after a 8-10 year gap. I haven't come across any sadly that matches the sound quality that I used to get from my old IEMs from a TWS

Could you share your app eq settings for the Jabras? I ordered the Jabra and I'm going to buy the AZ80 in a week. I figured I'll just return the ones that I don't like. The Jabra is very very comfortable. It's amazing, I'm going to give its lacking sound quality a pass since I want to use them more for work and gym. But if the technics turns out to be comfier then I'm returning the Jabras

For sound quality and ANC (outside of work and gym) I'll just stick to my wireless headphones

Dec 15, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #160 of 273
As a side note, I’ve also had the least issues with the AZ80’s.

The Technics app is right in between the simplicity of the Beats and Jabra software and complexity of Sony’s app.

I’ve had the most connection hiccups with the B&W’s and XM5’s. Second most with the QC Ultras. None with the AZ80’s or others.

I’ve had the XM5’s cut in and out briefly twice and go nutso and garble to unreadable (had to take them out and reconnect to fix) in the last 7-10 days, the QC Ultra’s have just had a little monetary garble. Zero issues to speak of with the AZ80’s.

The XM5’s with stock tips are the hardest to get in the ears. You’ve got to squish, lift the ear, and insert with both hands like many IEM’s.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #161 of 273
As a side note, I’ve also had the least issues with the AZ80’s.

The Technics app is right in between the simplicity of the Beats and Jabra software and complexity of Sony’s app.

I’ve had the most connection hiccups with the B&W’s and XM5’s. Second most with the QC Ultras. None with the AZ80’s or others.

I’ve had the XM5’s cut in and out briefly twice and go nutso and garble to unreadable (had to take them out and reconnect to fix) in the last 7-10 days, the QC Ultra’s have just had a little monetary garble. Zero issues to speak of with the AZ80’s.

The XM5’s with stock tips are the hardest to get in the ears. You’ve got to squish, lift the ear, and insert with both hands like many IEM’s.
I agree, the app alone makes the az80's worth the money, filled in features as it gets.

Dec 15, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #162 of 273
Thank you so much for this. I was looking for a detailed comparison for these earbuds.

As someone who got into IEMs around 2011 - 2014 ( loved my Westone 4rs and Unique Melody) and who fell off the audiophile train as years progressed, I was kind of expecting similar sound quality from the latest and greatest earbuds in the current market after a 8-10 year gap. I haven't come across any sadly that matches the sound quality that I used to get from my old IEMs from a TWS

Could you share your app eq settings for the Jabras? I ordered the Jabra and I'm going to buy the AZ80 in a week. I figured I'll just return the ones that I don't like. The Jabra is very very comfortable. It's amazing, I'm going to give its lacking sound quality a pass since I want to use them more for work and gym. But if the technics turns out to be comfier then I'm returning the Jabras

For sound quality and ANC (outside of work and gym) I'll just stick to my wireless headphones

The AZ80’s can be EQ’d to sound like a bassier UE900 for an older IEM reference.

The Jabra’s are comfy for sure. The AZ80 is comparable comfort wise. A different feeling, but not uncomfortable by any means. The most comfortable of them all is the QC Ultra.

I held off for awhile getting a pair, I’ve never liked the sound signature of Bose in-ears. I was pleasantly surprised. The ANC on the AZ80 and call quality (on the callers end) is better than the Jabra 10. The ANC on the QC Ultra is better than them all, but the callers quality is substantially worse than even the Beats.

If you like the Jabra’s, you’ll love the AZ80’s. Second for me overall are the QC Ultra’s, third are the XM5’s (due to the overall experience). You have to be very intentional to use the XM5’s. The only thing that’s user friendly about the XM5’s is the underlying base sound signature. The AZ80 does everything well.

Dec 15, 2023 at 6:21 PM Post #163 of 273

I have a few custom EQ’s for the Jabra 10’s. The Jabra EQ can be very subtle with fine adjustments, so I have a ton of settings that are just small incremental changes.

This one is probably a favorite of mine for most genres of music to bring out some clarity and sound separation. That said, the 10’s like certain genres of music better than others. None of it is terrible, but they sound a lot different listening to electronic genres or clean jazz over metal or very musically cluttered compositions.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xl3j...2-29.png?rlkey=c7v5ro7sidfxsvaf8yorjs9dm&dl=0

That’s with ANC on listening to Apple Music in Lossless 16bit/44.1kHz ALAC on a 14 Pro. The high end can be dialed back to taste.

The 10’s sound quality is acceptable, but the AZ80’s are a joy to listen to and use. The XM5’s are also a joy to listen to, but they are cumbersome in every way and have some tonal limitations that the AZ80’s don’t.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #164 of 273
I have a few custom EQ’s for the Jabra 10’s. The Jabra EQ can be very subtle with fine adjustments, so I have a ton of settings that are just small incremental changes.

This one is probably a favorite of mine for most genres of music to bring out some clarity and sound separation. That said, the 10’s like certain genres of music better than others. None of it is terrible, but they sound a lot different listening to electronic genres or clean jazz over metal or very musically cluttered compositions.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/xl3j...2-29.png?rlkey=c7v5ro7sidfxsvaf8yorjs9dm&dl=0

That’s with ANC on listening to Apple Music in Lossless 16bit/44.1kHz ALAC on a 14 Pro. The high end can be dialed back to taste.

The 10’s sound quality is acceptable, but the AZ80’s are a joy to listen to and use. The XM5’s are also a joy to listen to, but they are cumbersome in every way and have some tonal limitations that the AZ80’s don’t.
Thank you. I'm going try these out. You're right, I'm just not getting excited listening to the 10s. They're great for calls, but I'm sure most of the new earbuds are great for calls.

I have a feeling I'll just prefer the AZ80s once they get delivered.

Dec 20, 2023 at 8:43 PM Post #165 of 273
I'm glad I ordered the AZ80s and the Jabras. The 80s are so much better. I might have to take these as my travelling set at times over my 5909s.

I like the Jabras but the 80s are a lot more comfortable. Love them.

And the app is amazing. Other companies should take note

Edit: these sound so much better at lower volumes than the Jabra 10s. Feel like I need to crank up the volume a lot higher to get some more details out of the Jabras.
My only issue is that I had to get the silver ones instead of the black :frowning2:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back