Technics EAH-A800
Mar 3, 2022 at 11:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

FenderP

500+ Head-Fier
I did a search and didn't see a thread so I figured I would start one. I preordered these and they showed up today just in time for a trip to the UK so I'll be giving these a real world test. I may bring the Beoplay Portal along to A/B but right now I'm thinking I may not and just live with these for the plane ride and any other listening. In the few minutes I've futzed with the EAH-A800, I'm fairly impressed. Just compared to the prior EAH-F70N these are much better in all ways - I don't need to A/B there.

I can already tell there is a difference in using Bluetooth with LDAC (to my Sony NW-WM1A) and a cable. The cabled sound is better, but LDAC was not bad. I could probably EQ the LDAC to be better. I'll experiment.

Putting sound quality aside, I really hope these shine on comfort; I've been disappointed with the Portal. Battery life is never really an issue since I only use these for travel and my plane rides have never been much more than 16 hours. It will be interesting to see if the 50 hour claim is true and how much of the week I can go (including both plane rides) without recharging.

I'll know soon enough if Technics hit it out of the park with these or struck out ...

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 28
Sitting in the lounge before my flight. One plus: unlike the Portal, this can be used without turning the headphones on. The sound is good. I am pleasantly surprised. I have heard a lot of travel headphones and without much listening I can already tell I like them.

I will say that even passively the block a fair amount of noise which is something I am not used to. The Beoplay line was never great at that.

Early impressions of the passive sound is that they are musical and fairly balanced.

So far they are very comfortable. Time will tell in a few hours if it annoys my ears or the top of my head.

Mar 9, 2022 at 12:15 AM Post #4 of 28
Sitting in the lounge before my flight. One plus: unlike the Portal, this can be used without turning the headphones on. The sound is good. I am pleasantly surprised. I have heard a lot of travel headphones and without much listening I can already tell I like them.

I will say that even passively the block a fair amount of noise which is something I am not used to. The Beoplay line was never great at that.

Early impressions of the passive sound is that they are musical and fairly balanced.

So far they are very comfortable. Time will tell in a few hours if it annoys my ears or the top of my head.
I would agree with this completely. I haven’t had mine out in noise yet, so haven’t gotten the chance to really test that.

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 28
The anc is effective in blocking wind noise but not the rumbling noise of the street and engine ( I was sitting in the bus and had to turn the volume to the highest to block the noise). Sq is good but I still feel this still lacking the warmness in rock/metal and j pop, this headphone shine the most in classical music in my opinion. The comfort is quite nice that I was able to listen for 6 hours straight which is the first time beside my broken down xm4. It also can not handle high frequency like the xm4 and sometime I lost connection when I walking outside.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220426-200702592.jpg
    Screenshot_20220426-200702592.jpg
    355.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2022 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 28
The anc is effective in blocking win noise but not the rumbling noise of the street and engine ( I was sitting in the bus and had to turn the volume to the highest to block the noise). Sq is good but I still feel this still lacking the warmness in rock/metal and j pop, this headphone shine the most in classical music in my opinion. The comfort is quite nice that I was able to listen for 6 hours straight which is the first time beside my broken down xm4. It also can not handle high frequency like the xm4 and sometime I lost connection when I walking outside.

I have to disagree on ANC effectiveness. Over the course of two 6+ hour flights they blocked engine noise well.

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #7 of 28
I have to disagree on ANC effectiveness. Over the course of two 6+ hour flights they blocked engine noise well.
Weird, might be because of my glasses or my set have some problems. I might return it and wait for the xm5 and if there isn't any improvement on the sony side then I will buy it back. The battery is insane anyway. Btw, have you test the mic quality?

Apr 26, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #8 of 28
Weird, might be because of my glasses or my set have some problems. I might return it and wait for the xm5 and if there isn't any improvement on the sony side then I will buy it back. The battery is insane anyway. Btw, have you test the mic quality?
I wear glasses so ...

No, I didn't use them for BT so I did not test the mics. They are just travel headphones for me.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #11 of 28
I’m interested in these, but I’ve seen reports that there‘s some “internal“ noise coming in through the mics when walking with them on - they seem to flex a bit and produce squeaks. Anyone noticed this?

Aug 31, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #12 of 28
Surprised to see that there's barely any interest in these here on Head-Fi. I just ordered one of these, curious to see how I like the comfort and SQ. ANC supposed to be on par with Sony/Bose.

Aug 31, 2022 at 11:09 AM Post #13 of 28
Surprised to see that there's barely any interest in these here on Head-Fi. I just ordered one of these, curious to see how I like the comfort and SQ. ANC supposed to be on par with Sony/Bose.
I just returned mine when it clipped too much as I tried to set it to the highest setting for LDAC, the ANC level is a little bit bellow the xm4 in my opinion, SQ is good but still not very satisfy ( good imaging, background, and separation).

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #14 of 28
Just got these. The earcups are nice and big. Will need to wear them for an extended period to see how comfortable they are. SQ is fine (but I'm not too demanding for wireless ANC headphones). ANC hard to say yet, but weird that anytime I change the ANC intensity the headphone needs to restart.

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #15 of 28
Just got these. The earcups are nice and big. Will need to wear them for an extended period to see how comfortable they are. SQ is fine (but I'm not too demanding for wireless ANC headphones). ANC hard to say yet, but weird that anytime I change the ANC intensity the headphone needs to restart.
Have you try the xm5 yet? Much better SQ than the a800 if I recall correctly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back