Technics EAH-830
Jul 24, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #16 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a question for those interested in the EAH-830's slightly bizarre construction: Technics claimed in the AES paper cited in the first post that the EAH-8x0 series achieved its engineering goals by using "acoustic circuits including double cavities for controlling the desired responses, which have twin peaks in the frequency response as measured with a dummy head."

I'd expect to see a labyrinth or a tuned cavity or something like that. And twin peaks? That's just scary. Any guesses, based on the photos of the innards, where these might be?

Double cavities... one behind the driver, one in front of the driver (pads-baffle-ear)? Not a unique idea.

Did anyone here buy that EAH-830 that was on the auction site recently?

Feb 24, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #17 of 22
eBay.ie: Technics EAH-830 Isodynamic Japanese Headphones 1970s (item 130359200940 end time 25-Jan-10 10:01:48 GMT)

99pounds for EAH 830
o2smile.gif

Feb 24, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #18 of 22
Oct 17, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #19 of 22
Hi. I´ve just started to collect vintage headphones and have been looking at these abused TECHNICS EAH-830 listed on ebay. It´s a cool design and I´m sure I could bring them back to life. Just wondering, do you think the drivers are fried and if so is there any way to save them using a conductive paint pen or similar? From the pics it looks like the cans are metal under the usual technics color, correct?

Jun 3, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #20 of 22
Hola, alguna recomendación: he conseguido un Technics EAH-830 lo deseo utilizar con Minidisc portátiles como un Kenwood DMC-Q77 es un equipo con amplificador integrado pero suena muy débil. Por ejemplo el Technics EAh-520 suena muy pero muy bien. Alguna recomendación, es necesario un amplificador, y que tipos o modelos de amplificador recomiendan.

Hi, any recommendation: I got a Technics EAH-830 I want to use with Minidisc portable as a Kenwood DMC-Q77 is a computer with integrated amplifier but it sounds very weak. For example the Technics EAh-520 sounds very, very good. Some recommendation, you need an amplifier, and what types or models of amplifier recommend.

Jun 3, 2017 at 6:14 PM Post #21 of 22
Hola, alguna recomendación: he conseguido un Technics EAH-830 lo deseo utilizar con Minidisc portátiles como un Kenwood DMC-Q77 es un equipo con amplificador integrado pero suena muy débil. Por ejemplo el Technics EAh-520 suena muy pero muy bien. Alguna recomendación, es necesario un amplificador, y que tipos o modelos de amplificador recomiendan.

Hi, any recommendation: I got a Technics EAH-830 I want to use with Minidisc portable as a Kenwood DMC-Q77 is a computer with integrated amplifier but it sounds very weak. For example the Technics EAh-520 sounds very, very good. Some recommendation, you need an amplifier, and what types or models of amplifier recommend.

You can get the idsd micro black label:

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Black-Label-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B01MTNK3ZT

or the cheaper, but older, idsd micro in silver:

https://www.amazon.com/iFi-Micro-iDSD-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B00M50FLWK

Jun 4, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #22 of 22
Those headphones can take a lot of power, and seem to be rather inefficient.
On every single one I have seen the pads have lost their original pleather coating ( over time it flakes away ) and are simply the fabric layer that is underneath that missing top layer.
Fabric pads on these are not going to give you the best sound these can have, and will also change the sound, and soak up/cause excessive leakages in the sound. Not good at all
I would recommend looking at some rectangular aftermarket pad replacements off ebay or somewhere.
Quite often some of the Soundblaster 3D Tactic or many other types will work ( will need to double sided tape them on ), and even though the new pads openings will be larger than stock form, it will improve the sound since the earside to head seal will be proper.
There seems to be a lot of square/rectangular pads available nowadays, not so much before.

There were a few EAH-830 recently on ebay that people were asking lot$$$ for, and these sellers were saying they were "like new" and in perfect shape, but that was total B.S. since the pads were flaked away. And of course pads are one of the most important things.
Someone should have called them out on that given their asking prices.
Oh well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back