technics 1200?
Oct 16, 2008 at 7:19 PM Post #76 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the best way to get an rebadged RB300? I wasnt exactly sure from your post of the exact brand. I always wanted to try this arm, I think it's probably a modern and relatively inexpensive classic, but I certainly wouldn't mind finding it even cheaper.

A Guide to Rega Tonearms | From RB250 to Michell TecnoArms | Vinyl Engine

The cheapest option is probably the Tone Arms Moth Arm One which is identical to a Rega RB250, regarded by many modders like Origin Live as the best version.

Needledoctor.com used to supply the Origin Live OL1 version of this for 249USD but don't seem to have it on their site at the moment or you could buy it directly from England on their website OL1 Tonearm what with the current state of the exchange rates this could well work out cheaper.

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #77 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll have a look for some measurements as to the mass of the Technics arm with the headshell removed but as you realise it's the relationship between springiness in the suspenion of these type of high compliance moving magnet carts and the unwanted effects this can have on a tonearm which wasn't orginally designed with ultra low mass in mind which increases the need for the silicon damper.
Pretty good explanation of these issues here
Tonearm/Cartridge Capability

Yes, I realize this, but that is not the issue with which I intended to address. The issue, specifically, is that of the effectiveness of the trough dampening system in reducing tonearm modal resonances, not the tracking error inducing over-all mass-spring resonance effect(s) of the cartridge suspension and it's reactance with the mass of the structure.

-Chris

Oct 16, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #78 of 80
BTW, mempool, what is the model accelerometer used by that magazine that measures tone arms? What are the size/mass specs of this device?

I am feeling the need to track down an equivalent to use for my own analysis.

My current accelerometer surely is too large/high in mass. It is intended for vibrational analysis of larger structures, such as loudspeaker systems, for example.

-Chris

Oct 17, 2008 at 3:00 PM Post #79 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by searchenabler /img/forum/go_quote.gif
what is the model accelerometer used by that magazine that measures tone arms? What are the size/mass specs of this device?

The one used by Hi-Fi Choice in the '70s was a Brüel & Kjær model 8307 accelerometer. I am not sure what the model Hi-Fi World uses today is but I remember it's also B&K. I'll check.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back