(technical) death metal recommendation
Apr 14, 2010 at 3:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

keanej6

500+ Head-Fier
so before i'm yelled at to use the search thread... i did. i came across a thread that asked for the 'essentials' for the death metal, but the suggestions were ridiculous/laughable.

i hesitate to even ask for suggestions because i feel that it is a genre where you must sift through so much crap to find the good stuff. kind of like how i feel about rap though the crap of rap is reeaaaalllly bad. but searching the interweb for stuff is like a shot in the dark so i thought i'd ask here. i'll be particular in what i'm asking for so you know what to recommend.

i've always been blown away by decapitated's "winds of creation" and i regard it as my favorite death metal album. naturally, i checked out their later stuff, but it just comes off as....more 'accessable'? i also love love love Nile's "In their darkened shrines". both are albums full with hidden gems where new things are noticed after the nth listen and you go "holy **** that part was awesome"

i've listened to the classic death metal bands (C.C, deicide, etc) but i've never really been impressed or they at least didn't really leave much of an impression. also, while i do appreciate the extreme bands, i'm really just looking for death metal at the moment. also definitely no deathcore/metal core, anything with breakdowns.

lastly, i know there are probably albums that you'd think i for sure have heard, but even if that's the case, suggest it anyways! (as long as if fits the criteria). thanks, i don't usually listen to death metal i just realized that i revisit the same 2 albums whenever i feel like listening to some.

Apr 14, 2010 at 4:43 AM Post #3 of 28
Gorod - Leading Vision
Anata - The Conductor's Departure
Demilich - Nespithe
Gorguts - Obscura (warning: highly inaccessible)
Gorguts - The Erosion of Sanity
Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
!T.O.O.H.! - Řád a Trest

This is for technical death. As for "classic" death C.C and deicide are garbage so it's only natural that you hate them. I don't know what else you have heard but I recommend anyway:

Morbid Angel - Altars of Madness
Death - Symbolic
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Immolation - Close to a World Below
Dismember - Like an Ever Flowing Stream
Carcass - Necroticism - Descanting the Insalubrious
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Entombed - Clandestine
Suffocation - Pierced From Within
Obituary - Cause of Death
The Chasm - Conjuration of the Spectral Empire
Pestilence - Consuming Impulse

These are the cornerstones of death metal, and you need to listen to every one of them until you love them.

Apr 14, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 28
scythe - i thank you for your recommendations - i've heard some stuff from gorguts in the past and i might give obscura another spin. gorguts is cool but a little too..."avant guarde"....i know i hate categorizing metal like this, but i guess it's necessary to convey what i'm looking for.

are you recommending these because they're your personal favorites or because you're familiar with the two records i gave as a reference? because nothing you recommended is really similar to either "winds of creation" or "in their darkened shrines" (except for maybe suffocation). i'm grateful for your list, but nothing you listed is really what i'm looking for...

i was never into thrashy metal, so i guess i'm looking for something more recent? i want clean production, i want it to be heavy, fast (doesn't have to be) but i don't want like grindcore either. now that i think about it the albums i listed aren't really 'melodic'. so maybe that's what i'm looking for. but they're really catchy and the riffs and drum fills and solos get stuck in my head. ahhhh, am i making myself clear of am i all over the place?
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 7:04 AM Post #6 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by keanej6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
scythe - i thank you for your recommendations - i've heard some stuff from gorguts in the past and i might give obscura another spin. gorguts is cool but a little too..."avant guarde"....i know i hate categorizing metal like this, but i guess it's necessary to convey what i'm looking for.

are you recommending these because they're your personal favorites or because you're familiar with the two records i gave as a reference? because nothing you recommended is really similar to either "winds of creation" or "in their darkened shrines" (except for maybe suffocation). i'm grateful for your list, but nothing you listed is really what i'm looking for...

i was never into thrashy metal, so i guess i'm looking for something more recent? i want clean production, i want it to be heavy, fast (doesn't have to be) but i don't want like grindcore either. now that i think about it the albums i listed aren't really 'melodic'. so maybe that's what i'm looking for. but they're really catchy and the riffs and drum fills and solos get stuck in my head. ahhhh, am i making myself clear of am i all over the place?
bigsmile_face.gif

Well, my first list are the good technical death albums I have heard, I am not sure how many of those you have heard but Gorod, Anata and Lykathea Aflame certainly fit the bill of catchy, heavy, fast tech death with clean production. The second list are the older albums that I think you should try to listen to if you haven't heard them, maybe you will appreciate the older death metal more if you hear them. I am recommending them because they are not what you are looking for but I still think you should appreciate them. I think Immolation fits the bill too of death metal with clean production and catchy riffs.

Apr 14, 2010 at 9:21 AM Post #7 of 28
I second Suffocation and Anata, their sound has a lot of similarities to the two albums by Nile and Decapitated specified by the OP.

Here are my recommendations for relatively recent, technical/brutal death metal worth checking out (going with those not mentioned yet):

Fleshgod Apocalypse
Origin
Soreption
Decrepit Birth
Severed Savior
Odious Mortem
Gory Blister
Pavor
Wormed
Gigan
Decimation
Aeon of Horus
Skinless
Cerebrum
Viraemia
Domination Through Impurity
Coram Lethe
Visceral Bleeding
Vale of Miscreation

That should keep you busy for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 10:16 AM Post #8 of 28
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
Cynic - Traced in Air
Death - Symbolic
Mirrorthrone - Carriers of Dust
Cryptoptsy - None So Vile
Aydra - Hyperlogical Non-Sense
Fleshgod Apocalypse - Oracles
Gorod - Process of a New Decline
Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Quo Vadis - Day Into Night
Ripping Corpse - Dreaming With The Dead
Spawn of Possession - Noctambulant
Transcending Bizarre? - The Serpent's Manifolds
Defeated Sanity - Prelude to the Tragedy
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt
Bolt Thrower - ...For Victory

Some of this may be borderline other death metal genres. Like some of the other stuff mentioned but I can't stand bad production.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

i checked out their later stuff, but it just comes off as....more 'accessable'?

Nope, their later stuff were horrible

All that can be said has been covered. The two guys above me has stuff more tailored to your tastes but I reckon scythe's list is pretty much the pinnacle of DM so you shouldn't give up on it just yet.

Apr 18, 2010 at 9:50 AM Post #10 of 28
my top pick for technical death metal is still Origin's Antithesis, though for full disclosure it was my first tech death album, and ive yet to find a tech death band that is as intense as they are. I do like gorod's latest album though, and Planetary Duality by the Faceless is also very good, though its more progressive technical death metal
wink.gif

Apr 18, 2010 at 4:42 PM Post #11 of 28
Most of the technical deathmetal is garbage wankery, but Anata is really cool. I cant really remember others at the moment, probaply because its not a genre I listen a lot. I prefer classical deathmetal.

*edit* O yeah, Hate Eternal is quite good too, albums King Of All Kings and I, Monarch.

Apr 18, 2010 at 11:39 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azathoth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second Suffocation and Anata, their sound has a lot of similarities to the two albums by Nile and Decapitated specified by the OP.

Here are my recommendations for relatively recent, technical/brutal death metal worth checking out (going with those not mentioned yet):

Fleshgod Apocalypse
Origin
Soreption
Decrepit Birth
Severed Savior
Odious Mortem
Gory Blister
Pavor
Wormed
Gigan
Decimation
Aeon of Horus
Skinless
Cerebrum
Viraemia
Domination Through Impurity
Coram Lethe
Visceral Bleeding
Vale of Miscreation

That should keep you busy for a while.
smily_headphones1.gif

thanks for that list azathoth
smily_headphones1.gif
found 6 or 7 bands that i liked on first listen in there, so im gonna check them out some more

Edit: i think my biggest disappointment though is wormed, i love the instruments, but the "vocals" if you can even call them that are ridiculous.

Edit 2: Fleshgod Apocalypse is pretty much amazing, my favorite from the list

Edit 3: so i narrow it down to 4 now Fleshgod Apocalypse, Soreption, Aeon of Horus, and Viraemia(who woulda thought you could do techincal death metal with breakdowns?!?!) but all four of those bands i think are freakin stellar.

Apr 19, 2010 at 6:44 PM Post #13 of 28
If you're up to something from a newer band and don't mind a few "core" elements to the songwriting, give Sleep Serapis Sleep a try. I've been enjoying them on my drives to work lately.

Cheers,
Zach

Apr 21, 2010 at 3:50 AM Post #14 of 28
lol i actually have Wormed's "planispharium" and i kind of liked them. yes the vocals are ridiculous, but i thought they were pretty rad. the drums sounded like butt though.

agree, Origin is the ****, i thought "informis ..." was their best but "antithesis" was really good too. Longstreth is too good.

thanks for the list azathoth, you seemed recommend some stuff right up my alley.

Apr 22, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #15 of 28
Quote:

so before i'm yelled at to use the search thread... i did. i came across a thread that asked for the 'essentials' for the death metal, but the suggestions were ridiculous/laughable.

i hesitate to even ask for suggestions because i feel that it is a genre where you must sift through so much crap to find the good stuff. kind of like how i feel about rap though the crap of rap is reeaaaalllly bad. but searching the interweb for stuff is like a shot in the dark so i thought i'd ask here. i'll be particular in what i'm asking for so you know what to recommend.

i've always been blown away by decapitated's "winds of creation" and i regard it as my favorite death metal album. naturally, i checked out their later stuff, but it just comes off as....more 'accessable'? i also love love love Nile's "In their darkened shrines". both are albums full with hidden gems where new things are noticed after the nth listen and you go "holy **** that part was awesome"

i've listened to the classic death metal bands (C.C, deicide, etc) but i've never really been impressed or they at least didn't really leave much of an impression. also, while i do appreciate the extreme bands, i'm really just looking for death metal at the moment. also definitely no deathcore/metal core, anything with breakdowns.

lastly, i know there are probably albums that you'd think i for sure have heard, but even if that's the case, suggest it anyways! (as long as if fits the criteria). thanks, i don't usually listen to death metal i just realized that i revisit the same 2 albums whenever i feel like listening to some.

eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back