[TEASER] Massdrop x ??? - New Custom In-Ear Monitor available September
Aug 24, 2015 at 4:44 PM Post #181 of 677
And welcome to VAT-Fi
wink_face.gif

I am sorry i am so concerned about my very small students budget, furthern on i will restrain from commeting on that subject again. 

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #184 of 677

8/24 reveal: manufacturer unveiling
Good job guys. CustomArt it is. Unfortunately, there's a bit of craziness going on at the Massdrop office today (we hired some new people and they started, hooray!) so we're pushing back the AMA until tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a couple pictures of the first prototype unit to whet the appetite (yes, you'll be able to get them without the Massdrop logo and stuff. This one's just for photography purposes, although I think it turned out quite nicely!).

Looking good! Any hints on when the drop will, you know, drop?

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:02 PM Post #185 of 677
Good job guys. CustomArt it is. Unfortunately, there's a bit of craziness going on at the Massdrop office today (we hired some new people and they started, hooray!) so we're pushing back the AMA until tomorrow.

In the meantime, here's a couple pictures of the first prototype unit to whet the appetite (yes, you'll be able to get them without the Massdrop logo and stuff. This one's just for photography purposes, although I think it turned out quite nicely!).

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #186 of 677

Can we get a frequency response graph.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #187 of 677
It looks very beautiful guys, good job! Can't wait for reviews on it. 
L3000.gif

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #189 of 677
Hey Guys,

I'm really excited that we are partnering with Massdrop. This IEM is really something I've been wanting to do for some time now. It was really fun project to develop and I hope you'll like the results

Some of you noticed hints (logo on the shell). You guys are great detectives! For most of all, hats off to @Tony1110 I'm on head-fi for 6 years and I've never notice there's a box with active users. However it seems like it doesn't work well either since f.e if I left a tab open on my phone it was showing I was viewing the thread even though I wasn't :) Nonetheless good catch my friend! ... onto IEMs and questions....
I will try to answer some fairly quickly as it's already 11pm in Poland.

Firstly let's address VAT - there will be no VAT for European orders. It's not our first time on Massdrop, this had been discussed with accountants and this is the practice. You purchase from Massdrop which is US-based company.

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:36 PM Post #194 of 677
Alright Guys,

Compiling a question list so far. Some I can answer, more technical ones will be answered by Piotr

---
Q: Looking good! Any hints on when the drop will, you know, drop?
A: We're shooting for a sometime-in-September time frame.

Q: How long will the Massdrop offer be available for, and will the manufacturer continue to produce the CIEM after the drop has ended?
A: Typical one-week drop. There is the possibility of offering the product again, but it's TBD on timeline. The Ei.XX (name drop, boom) is exclusively available on Massdrop.  

Q: How long after we order the CIEM through Massdrop will we receive the CIEM?
A: Depends somewhat on you. The good news is Piotr is fielding impressions directly and shipping directly to the end customer. But it's up to the member to coordinate getting impressions, sending impressions, and handling everything that needs to be done to make sure they get their CIEMs back in a reasonable time frame.

Q: Will there be any previewers before the Massdrop backing date limit?
A: Yes, we have a couple reviewers lined up. We're looking to have at least one complete review prior to the drop going live.

Q: Just wondering, if it turns out to be Custom Art (Poland/EU based) would it still be an interesting drop for EU buyers because of additional fees/VAT? Or would these be shipped directly from the manufacturer?
A: No VAT fees if you're purchasing from EU, just the flat price. 

Questions for Piotr to answer

Q: What faceplate options are available? 
Q: Will we get a frequency response graph?
Q: Will the Linum cables be terminated with the T2 connector or standard 2 pin for the price $40/$45?
Q: Any smartphone remote options?
Q: How much for the shipping , how will it ship and what type of shipping? if i am not wrong, the previous CA h8 worldwide shipping cost 50usd 
Q: What will impedance be of this 6 driver CIEM?
Q: Would there be an option to purchase the universal version?

Aug 24, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #195 of 677
  Hi Daniel

QUESTION: How long will the massdrop offer be availible for and will the manufacture continue to produce the ciem after the massdrop has ended?

I think this should be answered by Danny, but it's not one-time deal. Don't worry. We hopefully want to run it continuously.

1. How long after we order the CIEM through massdrop will we receive the CIEM?

2. What faceplate options are available? 

1. This should be under our normal turnaround period which is 3-4 weeks at the moment from the moment of receiving your ear impressions.
2. All that are available normally. Colored, woods, cf, alu etc.

Will we get a frequency response graph?

Yes! We will prepare both uncompensated and compensated.

Question: Will the Linum cables be terminated with the T2 connector or standard 2 pin for the price $40/$45?

we can get any Linum cable.

any smartphone remote options?

Not as of this moment. there are plenty 3-rd party cables you could use though.

If it's really from CustomArt, I'd be excited. Piotr is an extremely nice guy to deal with, even when I bombarded him with newbie questions and design changes in the H8P drop.

THANKS!

Can we get it for $575 or less with NO cable? 
bigsmile_face.gif

Most probably. Personally I don't see a problem, it's up to Massdrop though as it would probably require some refunds.

Dunno why but I can't shake the feeling of this being a potential Savant killer, in custom mould, with customization options.

Question: Will there be any previewers before the Massdrop backing date limit?

Question: What's timeframe are we looking at?

1. I'm pretty sure there will be no reviews before the first drop. However we are already in touch with at least 2 reviewers that are on board, so you may get first reviews pretty soon.
2. We plan on drop to start mid-September

QUESTION: how much for the shipping , how will it ship and what type of shipping? if i am not wrong, the previous CA h8 worldwide shipping cost 50usd 

We managed to lower the price to $39 for int; $16 for EU and free for PL.

What will impedance be of this 6 driver CIEM?

DC Resistance is 30 Ohm

Would there be an option to purchase the universal version?

YES! But not at first. We are really looking into options to make this universal as well.

Dammit, it all sounds almost perfect, except that I love my current CIEMS with the small exception that the very slightly recessed midrange is the very thing that I'd like to 'correct', so another 'V' shaped sound sig' is not what I'm looking for.
I like the sound of the modest bass boost, and the idea of having sufficient low end to really move air when called for by those big dub-step bass drops/Danny Elfman film scores etc
basshead.gif
, but mids are important to me too.

It would be good to read a preview or two from trusted members here to get some independent opinion to lay concerns like this to rest.

If it does turn out to be Custom Art that Massdrop are doing this with I'll be very pleased, as although my first loyalty is to Cosmic Ears, Piotr has been hugely helpful to the DIY community on Head-Fi, and his customers seem to be very impressed too.

I wonder if the sound sig' will be will be set in stone, or if small changes can be specified (in a similar fashion to Cosmic's 'Pro' or 'Bass' tweaks)?

These are minor concerns though, as a six driver, Linum equipped silicone CIEM at this price, by a very well regarded manuf' is already looking very promising.

Thanks! They will come in only one sound sig

For me, it looks like a major concern. I see MassDrop like a media for products already in the mainline on which a grouped order can lower the price.
How can we judge the value of the product if nobody has reviewed it?
How would we know that we have a reduced price if the product is not already tagged? 
Perhaps MassDrop is walking on Kickstarter track. Or I miss something. 

I'm not sure why there are popping comparisons to Kickstarter. This is legit product that you are buying, we are not really hedge funding here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back