Team SODA-Fi - Soda drinkers unite!
May 6, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #61 of 77
Seconded on Pepsi throwback.

There isn't much of a difference between Mountain Dew and Dew Throwback. But Pepsi is really noticable.

May 6, 2009 at 4:49 PM Post #62 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Most soda is pretty lame. To me, if you are over the age of 30 and drinking soda on a daily basis, you pretty much have a child's palate and don't know what good taste is.

But that being said, if you are a soda drinker, I still like you.

I don't understand why you'd say that. I'm 21 and I like to drink all kinds of different beverages. You might say that I enjoy basically any kind of beverage out there, in fact, so why would I all of a sudden dislike soda when I reach the magical age of 30 because I've "grown out of" my "child's palate"? Soda is sweet (most people like sweet things), it tastes good, it's fizzy, which feels good in the mouth, it's cold and refreshing for during the summer, and if you drink diet, there's no health detriment. Sure, it's not half as complex as Sumatran coffee or Irish beer, but it's not trying to be. The point is, it's simple, it goes well with meals, and it sometimes has caffeine as an added bonus. I know what good taste is, but I still drink soda. How are the two mutually exclusive?

May 7, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #63 of 77
You have a good point. I like occasional soda from time to time actually but to drink it everyday is really an indication of a childish palate. It's got that chemical artifical taste in most cases and tastes like industrial liquid candy. If people are drinking it with their good meals, it is not a good indication of taste. It goes great with fast food, yes. But not fine dinners. No way Jose!

May 7, 2009 at 3:06 AM Post #64 of 77
For all of you quaffing the slop:

soda is bad

diet soda is poison

May 7, 2009 at 3:13 AM Post #65 of 77
I will say though in defense of soda, the Italian sodas are very good and some of the natural tasting sodas like Orangina is one of the better ones since they are actually using 12 percent real juice. If people insist on drinking soda, try the more natural ones.

Or you can add real juice to sparkling water for a refreshing drink that is much better than your cheap soda.

May 7, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #66 of 77
I mean, I'm not saying that I'd eat it with a fine dinner, I'm just saying that for your average meal, it's nice to have a soda. Liquefied candy? Well, yeah, I'll definitely give you that one. haha

Actually, one of the best sodas I've ever had was at an Irish Pub in DC. My family went there for dinner and I ordered some kind of unique lemon-lime soda, and this stuff was completely legit. There are already a lot of sodas out there that put Sprite to shame (Coca-Cola makes Fresca, yet people continue to drink Sprite, which puzzles me), but this stuff put everything to shame. It just literally slapped you in the face with fresh lemons and limes. That stuff was excellent.

I actually add lemon and lime slices to soda all the time if I can find them. Real fruit juice, you're right, really makes a difference.

May 7, 2009 at 1:41 PM Post #67 of 77
I try to limit myself to 1 a day or so unless I'm eating out, then it's anything goes
smily_headphones1.gif
My stock at home is usually Vault and IBC cream soda in the glass bottles.

May 7, 2009 at 1:47 PM Post #68 of 77
I wish they still sold that root beer you could get at mcdonalds... it was the only place I knew where to buy it and it tasted great.

Still drink soda occasionally, but I have to say since I was a young teenager its been mostly tea and coffee.

I understand the child palate thing but I think it's complete tosh to come out with such a blanket statement, a lot of it is cultural and educational... certainly big issues in the u.k. with regards adults understanding food and drink in the context of a healthy nutritious diet. I think thats probably more to do with it than simply saying some people have a child's palate, which of course, there will be some like that also.

May 7, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #69 of 77
"if you drink diet, there's no health detriment"

^That is so wrong!

I hate high fructose corn syrup. It's just way too sweet, has a gross taste, and leaves a disagreeable syrupy residue in the back of my throat. Plus I hate that they put it in everything in America... even bread. Why the &*$% would you put that stuff in bread?!? Luckily, they use sugar in Israel, so sodas are really good (though not as good as in Europe to me). I've cut down lately, but sometimes you just gotta have a coke with fast food (falafel
bigsmile_face.gif
)!

May 8, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #70 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spareribs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will say though in defense of soda, the Italian sodas are very good and some of the natural tasting sodas like Orangina is one of the better ones since they are actually using 12 percent real juice. If people insist on drinking soda, try the more natural ones.

Or you can add real juice to sparkling water for a refreshing drink that is much better than your cheap soda.

Yep, Orangina, Limonata, Aranciata and Chinotto (if you can stand it
wink.gif
) are all very nice. I haven't purchased any in awhile, I should check for it again.

As for Fresca, I haven't seen it in years. I remember that it was much too fizzy for my liking; if they toned that down, then I would give it another shot if I could find it.

May 8, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #71 of 77
I like the Pepsi (diet) Max, which has the highest caffeine among all sodas. It tastes very close to the non-diet Pepsi. Usually one 20 floz bottle will keep me stay alert when I was tired. But if I had more than 2 a day, I will have sleep problem in the night.

May 9, 2009 at 12:59 PM Post #72 of 77
Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzer1975 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish they still sold that root beer you could get at mcdonalds... it was the only place I knew where to buy it and it tasted great.

Still drink soda occasionally, but I have to say since I was a young teenager its been mostly tea and coffee.

I remember when I was a kid in the UK the selection for soda was slim pickings. Lucasade, Tizer, Ginger Beer or Lemonade was about all I remember seeing. When we came to Canada it was an amazing difference in the selection.

May 14, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #73 of 77
i drink it once in awhile when i eat out.

im guessing an average of one soda every 2 weeks or so even tho i eat out 3-4 times a week

May 18, 2009 at 12:59 AM Post #74 of 77
When I lived in Germany, I was hooked on the Coca-Cola there. I don't know why it tasted different, but I was drinking it all the time. Now not so much, maybe a soda every few weeks. Root beer and birch beer rate pretty high with me.

May 19, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #75 of 77
Cream Soda and MD: Code Red are my favs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back