TEAM Alessandro, how many of you have TTVJ flat pads with MS-1 ????
Jun 27, 2005 at 10:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

F355

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,
If all goes well, I might be one of the first [or one of the few] to get Alessandro MS 1 in India
orphsmile.gif
with the help of my brother .
But first a few questions..
1:- If I buy the TTVJ flat pads, will the alessandros improve in the same way as most Grados do?
2: how many of you have tried the MS1 with flats as well as the comfies? what was your experience?
3: I initially wanted to buy just the SR 60, then stretched it to the SR-80, and now finally settled down for the MS-1. so I'm already wayy overbudget, and the flat pads cost as much as some philips and sony headphones available here
eek.gif
ie its a LOT of money for me. will I save $$ by cutting a hole in the comfies? would it do atleast a little bit of what the flats do? would you reccomend that?
I've read as many threads as possible on the MS-1s here, but since I'm at work I cant research too much. sorry if this has been answered before.

thanks all,

Jun 27, 2005 at 11:24 AM Post #2 of 19
1. Yes, they will.

2. I didn't like the comfies much in comparison to other pads, but since they were the first I tried I was just amazed by the MS-1 itself. The comfies sounded muddled and a little distant, less so with holes cut in them. The flats sounded muddy and overly bassy, and they were uncomfortable to boot. I actually think I preferred the comfies by a small margin, and I definitely preferred comfies with holes. I know, I'm deaf.

3. Putting a hole in them does improve them, but it doesn't really make them anything like the flats. $30US IS a lot to spend for pads, especially if you decide that you don't even like them... otoh, the only way you'll know is if you try them. If you've already stretched your budget, I wouldn't bother. It's not as if you'll never be able to get flat pads by putting the purchase off, the important thing is that you'll have a good headphone to put them on.

frame of reference: I actually preferred the vwap/HD414 pads to all the other Grado pads (not tried the C-pads yet, though).

Jun 28, 2005 at 4:42 AM Post #3 of 19
Thanks SDA,
really appreciated.
Looking forward to joining the team... and certainly looking forward to having the coolest cans in the workplace. right now the most popular one around here in my office is the philips HP 840 and HP 890. I hope the MS-1 is better sounding overall.

anybody else?? please refer to the first post for my questions.

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 19
Hello Vinay,

I got your PM but I will reply here instead.

What made you pick the Grado style headphone? What are your targeted applications? What kind of environment will you be setting them in? What is your source? What amplifier are you using? What kind of music?

If you have already answered these questions then I would like to make a suggestion:

There is already a pair of Sennheiser HD-580s with amol in India. I dont know if he is interested in selling but ask him anyway. I took the headphones to him on one of my trips there.

Between the SR-60 and MS1 - I would suggest you stay with the SR-60 because it is better value for the money. Dont worry about the other pads for the moment. (see this review: http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=87932 )

I recommend the SR-60 and HD-580 (both of which you should be able to get at roughly the same price - $60.00 for the SR-60 and $90.00 for the HD-580 )

If you need anything else from here let me know and I will arrange to have it sent to you.

gs

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 19
When I first got my MS-1, they sounded fine to me with the stock comfies. But of course I came here and found all sorts of information regarding the great pad debate. I wasn't about to spend thirty damn dollars for some foam pads, so I went ghetto and got Sennheiser HD 414 pads and cut a quarter sized hole in them. They're comically yellow, but they do sound a little better and are a little more comfortable.

People talk about pad differences like they'll transform your headphones, but audiophiles tend to overstate subtleties. The differences are there, but not, say, $30 worth. I've finally had a chance to try bowls and flats with my MS-1, and my impressions of the sound fall in line with the general consensus around these boards. Just don't expect the changes to be huge. These are tweaks.

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:42 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Between the SR-60 and MS1 - I would suggest you stay with the SR-60 because it is better value for the money.

What's Grado pricing like in India? My understanding is that outside the US, Grado prices are comparatively higher. Apparently Alessandro charges the same price worldwide, shipping included. What that affect the OP's decision, given where he's located?

Jul 3, 2005 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by 12thgear
What's Grado pricing like in India? My understanding is that outside the US, Grado prices are comparatively higher. Apparently Alessandro charges the same price worldwide, shipping included. What that affect the OP's decision, given where he's located?

He is getting them here in USA. I am also a little concerned about the warranty issues with the Alessandro headphones. Does grado cover them? What are the conditions? The fine print?

If you remember...Grado came out with a statement (or did alessandro come out with a statement?) that only music professionals could purchase Alessandro products?

Bunch of crap if you ask me...but if he has a warranty issue in India then he has to be sure that things will be smooth. Sennheiser has a service center in india (I think it is in bangalore...not sure...gotta ask Amol ).

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 19
That's a good point.

I'm pretty sure Grado doesn't have a service center in India.
plainface.gif

Poking around the forums, it looks like Alessandro headphones are sent to Grado for repair, and the anecdotes are pretty positive.

Sennheisers would definitely be less of a hassle, to be sure.

Jul 3, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #9 of 19
I own both the Ms-1's and Sr 60's as well as the flat pads. I prefer the stock Ms-1 combination over any other. The Ms-1's with flat pads loses the Grado signature sound. The flat pads roll the highs off and give you more bass impact. The magic is gone. There no longer is the sparkle and air that Grado is know for. It's like listening to music with a sheet over your head.

Pads are just minor tweeks.

Stick with the stock MS-1's and you'll be happy unless you become a headphone addict and then your screwed. lol!

Later.
Do!

Jul 4, 2005 at 9:07 AM Post #10 of 19
Hi,
first of all thanks to everyone who replied... each response is appreciated. let me see if I can respond to all points made here.
Guru,
I chose to go the "grado" way because I've tried the entry level HD 202 , the HD 437, 497, and the HD 580. none of them WOWed me. sure even the cheapest HD 202 was a step above whats available locally, [barring the philips HP 890]
From what I've heard on the net [ plenty of sites, forums etc etc] grado seems to be the way to go.
Targeted applications? mostly office use, MP3zz, FLAC files and CDs . and of course Counterstrike @ work
biggrin.gif
will be taking them home after work when I buy a worldspace satellite radio.
I NEED open phones so that I can hear colleagues call me, and to make sure I hear the phone ring. I Will be listening at moderate volumes but would like BASSSSSSSS once in a while when I crank it up.
basshead.gif

Source: Nforce 2 onboard soundcard. sounds pretty good to me, and seems like it can drive 32 ohm 98 db cans nicely. Audigy 2 platinum is also a possibility, if my employer is kind. As mentioned earlier, Worldspace radio in the future.

Type of music:- everything from vivaldi to paul oakenfold,crystal method, nine inch nails, soilwork, in flames, old metallica, skynyrd, neil diamond, most "unplugged" albums etc to name a few

I heard the HD 580s.. thru a portable they were ordinaryto my ears, and barely past whisper volume. and thru the headphone out of a NAD integrated they were much better, but still.... something was amiss. hard to describe.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding the SR-60 . That was what I intended to buy, but its a one time purchase .. so I'd like to buy the best possible, rather then buy the sr 60 and wonder what the ms-1 may have sounded like
smily_headphones1.gif
. might sound silly to some of the head-fi ers here, but pride of ownership is also one of the reasons. as a 'busa owner/prospective buyer [yup... I'm following that thread ] I think you'll understand. Also, my sources will improve as time goes by. a Total bithead is not out of question in teh future.

I wasnt able to phrase it well enough in my first post. although I'm cool with spending 100 bucks on the ms-1s, its the 30 bucks on pads which i feel is a LOT of money.

As for warranty issues, its a risk I'm willing to take, coz even the sennheiser distributor here [i'm assuming its the service center too] didnt make me feel comfortable. He claimed his prices are better than the equivalent USD prices, then went on to mention prices for even entry level HD 202 and HD 437 for about $55
rolleyes.gif
. he had never heard of the HD 497s, let alone high end models.
icon10.gif
It'll probably be the same story with his service and repair charges. I dont think he'll honor the warranty unless I buy from him.

Thanks Guru, 12th gear, Mr do, and SDA
so I'll stick to the STOCK MS-1s with the comfies, and try different pads a few months down the line.

Jul 4, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 19
12th gear,
great website [homepage], love your work.

Jul 4, 2005 at 5:35 PM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

frame of reference: I actually preferred the vwap/HD414 pads to all the other Grado pads (not tried the C-pads yet, though).

That's the exact opposite of me. I like them the least out of my 3 pads I have right now. Although they are better than comfies.

Jul 4, 2005 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by F355
I heard the HD 580s.. thru a portable they were ordinaryto my ears, and barely past whisper volume. and thru the headphone out of a NAD integrated they were much better, but still.... something was amiss. hard to describe.

out of a portable, the hd580 will definitely need an amp to be powered correctly. i've never heard the NAD integrated so I'm not certain about the headphone out on it but the hd580, like the hd600 and hd650, needs a good amp for you to get the most out of it. imo, the HD580 sounds much better than the ms-1 or the sr60. it's possible that they just weren't getting powered properly and that's why the weren't too impressive.

if you really have your heart set on getting a grado, the ms-1 are better than the sr60, if you can afford the extra money for them. i'm not a big fan of the flat pads for the same reasons that others here have mentioned. bass become bloated and you lose the top end sparkle and actually i think some of the energy that grados are known for. my suggestion is to listen to your grado/alessandro for a while and get used to the sound. if curiosity gets to you then try the senn414 pads first or do the comfy mod as it's a lot cheaper than spending $30 on pads. that's a lot of money to spend for cans that are under $100.

Sep 24, 2005 at 7:40 AM Post #15 of 19
OK guys, brought this thread back from the dead coz I didnt want to start another one just to rehash the same ol topic ie how great the MS-1s are.
rolleyes.gif
eggosmile.gif
eggosmile.gif

I just received them a few days ago so they arent burnt in.

I tried them on for the first time and ... well .. what can I say , they're more than worth the money spent, and well worth the wait. I was using philips HP 890 before that, so compared to that It didnt WOW me the moment I plug it in and play something. ... instead... it slowly grew on me, and you realise its a class above other expensive stuff locally available. bass is more than enough for me, but it'll hitlower notes better after burn in. midrange, esp piano & male vocals are simply fantastic. so is the detail.
any attempt to tweak the sound with EQ, bass boost etc is a complete disaster. It just works AS IS. They're very transparent too, so for the first time I'm hearing hiss and crackle from low bitrate songs LOL
My colleague here [serious audiophile, you know... the kind of guy who can instantly pick out differences in different speaker cables , aftermarket powercords and the like] had a one line review.... "they're in a different league dude"
smily_headphones1.gif

now i gotta pester my boss for an audigy 2 or X-fi... he keeps getting freebies when he goes for expos and conferences.
btw I'm responsible for starting "headphone awareness" here at my workplace ... 2 ppl bought sennheisers, now one of them wants grados BAD...
smily_headphones1.gif

thank you soo much, to everyone who replied.

the comfies are just fine for me. I think I'll use if for a few months, then probably do a cut mod. I just hope it doesnt increase the highs much, coz I find the present highs just PERFECT.
will the bass improve with the mod?

thanks again head-fi...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back