Teach me to appreciate your music.
Oct 1, 2010 at 1:52 PM Post #46 of 67
a few bands that got me into kraut

the last one c.haze is somewhere between kraut , prog , psy and stoner rock , i cant tell
but i like them.

Oct 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM Post #48 of 67
I know thats why I said one of, and the loop is still being mangled, in drill n bass, like squarepusher, unless that genre died out, idk squarepusher and aphex twin seemed like the only real innovators, everyone else sorta followed them

Quote:

99% of the DNB tunes are based on the Amen Break: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&tbs=vid%3A1&q=dnb+amen+break

It was first used to get that DNB sound, and now it often shows up in breaks as an homage.

There's also the "tighten up" break from JB: http://www.google.com/search?uhl=en&q=james+brown+tighten+up&tbs=vid:1

I've got some blues songs from the early 60's that have a discrete drums track that sounds exactly like DNB...just a very fast funky beat.

Oct 10, 2010 at 2:53 AM Post #49 of 67
Below are artist / album recommendations.

Trey Gunn / The Third Star - For groovy progressive rock that's not too pretentious.

Lisa Ekdahl / Sings Salvadore Poe - For modern bossa nova and gorgeous female vocals.

Sakamoto Ryuichi & Morelenbaum / Casa - One of the finest bossa nova collaborations ever, and one of Sakamoto's best works.

The Sundays / Reading, Writing, and Arithmetic - Ethereal dream pop at its best.

Cathy Davey / The Nameless - For clever indie pop songwriting.

Marit Larsen / If A song Could Get Me You - More clever and adorable indie pop songwriting.

Steam: The Turkish Bath - Amazing soundtrack with hybrid of ethnic and electronic instruments--very atmospheric and groovy.

Caroline Lufkin / Mumurs - Dreamy trip-hop indie pop.

Massive Attack / Mezzanine - The most amazing masterpiece in trip-hop, bar none.

Hooverphonic / Blue Wonder Power Milk - A really great trip-hop and pop hybrid album.

Curve / Chinese Burn - Aggressive shoegaze with electronic/industrial elements.

The Art of Noise / The Seduction of Claude Debussy - Masterpiece of electronic music fused with classical inspirations.

John Tejada / Daydreams in Cold Weather - A masterpiece in bleepy progressive house.

LFO / Frequencies - Pioneer of the bleepy prog house, and a classic album.

Tears For Fears / The Big Chair - One of the finest mainstream rock/pop album to come out of the 80's.

Boowy / Gigs (1986 live album) - One of the finest rock bands to ever come out of Japan, and their finest live performance. You can totally hear why Hotei is revered as one of the world's finest rock guitarists on this live album.

B'z / Loose - The finest hard rock band to ever come out of Japan, combining hard rock with jazz, electronic, pop, funk, classical and various other influences (also with heavy Aerosmith infuence).

Kahimi Karie / self-titled - Trendy Shibuya bred retro-French-influenced indie pop.

Kawai Sonoko / Rouge et Bleu - One of the finest artsy pop albums to ever come out of Japan--better than any of her other albums, and marked her transition from early bubbly idol to a serious composer/musician/producer with substance and depth.

Yellow Magic Orchestra / BGM - One of the finest electropop bands the world has ever known. If Kraftwerk pioneered electronic music, then YMO pioneered the more artistic and humorous side of electronic pop.

Unreal tournament 2003, 2004, and 3 - Excellent example of hybrid scores for modern video games, combining orchestral and electronic music.

Conan the Barbarian - One of the finest orchestral scores from the 80's.

Macross: The Complete - One of the finest anime scores ever, combining orchestral with jazz and fusion and pop.

Oct 12, 2010 at 3:28 AM Post #50 of 67

This is the video that got me into metal. No, I changed my mind. This video got me into music. It is literally the most intense live performance I will ever see, and it happened to be recorded.

Oct 13, 2010 at 6:20 AM Post #57 of 67
There is a story that made me appreciate a song much, much more.

Way back when, Ray Charles was in the studio recording when someone suggested he sing "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" which was a popular song from the movie "The Wizard of Oz". Everyone who had seen the movie loved it. The key here is the word "seen". Ray Charles had never seen the movie...for obvious reasons. So everyone in the studio scrambled to get the lyrics and music (in braille). He ran his fingers once over the music and decided to record it. With one hand on the braille sheet for the lyrics & music and the other hand on the piano, Ray Charles decided to give it a shot. After one single take...this was the result:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTk-t8s_R0Y

/lib/ckeditor/images/spacer.gif?t=A8LE4JO

Oct 13, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #59 of 67
I find BTBAM to be very technically proficient, however their performances are very lacking in emotion. Having said that, I have watched the white walls solo on the dvd hundreds of times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back