Teac UD-701N Discrete DAC / Network / HP Amp / Preamp
May 21, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #31 of 41
Today's HW specs have come a long way from the yester years.
Just for example my old streamer 7 yrs ago was an Android TV Box (Himedia Q10 Pro) + LPS. During that time it has already an 8TB HDD.
Using UAPP and BubbleUPnP as control. Never experienced lag on my music.

Y5LRFSh.jpg

https://imgur.com/Y5LRFSh
I've one of these Himedia Q10 Pros from years ago, excellent for playback of movies inc. ISO 3D, never thought of using it as a music streamer, I didn't know it supported uPnP. Might have a go now. Thanks.

May 21, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #32 of 41
I am using Q10 Pro w/ USB Audio Player Pro. Enabling its UPnP Renderer and attaching my USB DAC into it. And in my tablet, I use BubbleUPnP for playback and control.

Jul 13, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #34 of 41
TEAC-UD-701N-Review-6.jpg

Hey guys,

I saw Reviewary's measurements in their review of this unit and i was wondering about the outputs level. I'm not technical so i'm not sure if this is for variable or fixed... From Teac's own specs it says fixed can be selected up to 4V for both RCA and XLR. So i'm guessing this must be for variable, right ? If that's the case it's a bit lower than the official specs at 6V for RCA and 12V for XLR i believe.

Any owners out there that went into the settings can tell more about what's available on here ? Does XLR is really maxed out at 4V ?

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #35 of 41
Here are Miska's measurements/testing:

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...-gem-or-farce/?do=findComment&comment=1248960

(edit) TLDR:
Best upsampled by HQPlayer to DSD256 or DSD512 (instead of NOS and 8x upsample, multibit or 1-bit modulator) using DSD FIR1 or DSD FIR disabled.

At DSD512 (via HQPlayer), even with aggressive 7th order modulators, there are no ultrasonic noise bumps at all.

The built-in 8x oversampling filter is very slow roll-off / leaky type.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #36 of 41
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #37 of 41
Nov 8, 2023 at 7:48 PM Post #39 of 41
I've demoed this unit, sounded good, not sure if It's good enough to buy though, may be fatiguing after an hour or so. I didn't try Roon, only the TEAC app and Tidal Connect (which sucks). Maybe it needs external upsampling or some other tweak to really shine (not something I'm interested in).

May 24, 2024 at 12:39 AM Post #41 of 41
New UD-507 was just announced https://teac.jp/int/support/news/7603 has almost the same features as the UD-701. Different Dac chip but slightly more powerful headamp output. set for Late June Release.

UD-507.jpg
I had the UD-503, which just got retired by my purchase of the Teac VRDS 701 CD player with built in Teac Delta-Sigma DAC.

Glad to see they included a true balanced headphone connection on the front, instead of the dual 1/4 inch jacks on the UD-503. Hopefully they added some umph to the headphone amp, and why I was never too happy to get a dedicated headphone amp in the Denafrips Artemis.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back