Teac UD 503 DAC (2015 New Release, DXD, DSD256)
May 23, 2016 at 8:23 AM Post #286 of 572
Hi AudioQuality777

From what I remember, when I modded my UD-503, the Analog RCA inputs are converted on the small input PCBA to balanced (TI NE5532 opamp for each RCA input, also dual mono PCB split), and are feed to the second inputs of the NJW1195. 

Just like the example from the data sheet shows:  

May 29, 2016 at 6:19 PM Post #293 of 572
After some time I finally purchased a ud503 and it arrived today. At first, I was very satisfied with it as it has everything I want out of a DAC.

Then this happened...while the unit was in playback mode, I set the remote down lightly on top of the unit. The playback immediately stopped and the unit appeared to shut off. The only way to get it back on was to flip the power switch off/on. I tried a few more times just lightly tapping the top of the unit with the same result. It just abruptly shuts off and becomes unresponsive until I recycle the power switch.

So, has anyone else faced this problem? Is this some kind of protective mode or do I have a defective unit? It would be a shame if it was defective as other than this the features and overall sound quality is quite nice.

May 29, 2016 at 10:50 PM Post #294 of 572
Out of curiosity I tried to duplicate your issue but didn't get the same results you did. In short no issues here when placing the remote on top of the unit. I even tried tapping the unit with both remote and hand (fingers) and the unit never shut down or displayed any issues.

You might call Teac about it, and/or return to unit back to where you purchased it as your issue should not be happening.

Good luck.

May 30, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #295 of 572
Out of curiosity I tried to duplicate your issue but didn't get the same results you did. In short no issues here when placing the remote on top of the unit. I even tried tapping the unit with both remote and hand (fingers) and the unit never shut down or displayed any issues.

You might call Teac about it, and/or return to unit back to where you purchased it as your issue should not be happening.

Good luck.

Thanks for testing! That's pretty much what I suspected. It's going straight back then. What a letdown.

May 30, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #297 of 572
  Is your powercord grounded ?  

It could be an ESD pulse that reset/freezes the electronics. 

BR
Flemming

Not so much sure it's a grounding issue, but at least check to make sure the power cord is completely plugged in and fully seated at the unit end, as well as the wall outlet.  Though the issue sounds like a loose power cord, the fact that you can still turn the unit on after shutdown points somewhere else.

May 30, 2016 at 4:18 PM Post #298 of 572
My first thought was a power cable seating issue as well, but it was firmly seated in the socket on the back. The issue only happens if you press lightly on the top right side, which tells me unfortunately it's something internal. Maybe a bad soldering joint creating a short circuit. Not sure.

Jun 1, 2016 at 4:57 PM Post #300 of 572
I would be hesitant to buy another Teac DAC

I have the 501 and it has an issue with its clock.  It has difficulty locking into a setting, and it will often go from DSD to white noise randomly.

I have seen posts on other sites that others have this issue and the suggestion that firmware would likely fix this.

However, Teac has never issued any firmware updates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back