TEAC UD-301 DAC is not producing any output
Jun 30, 2016 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Rodrigo Gomez

New Head-Fier
Hello,

It's been 3 days since, after a power cut, my TEAC UD-301 is not producing any output at all. I have tried the headphones jack and the XLR but in both cases it's the same. I have tried with different computers and even with the Optical input but no luck.

The LEDs that show what input format is being used correctly display the expected value. I can even configure the upsampling correctly. I can play DSD files with the TEAC software or use it as a DAC directly and there are no errors anywhere, except no sound. It is almost as if it was somehow muted, but it does not have a mute button and moving the level switch on the back changes nothing. The volume knob makes no difference.

The DAC was connected to a regulated output, and it was a "gracious" power cut: i.e., no problem from the outside, we just had to turn off the breaker for a short while and I forgot to turn this off before. I had experienced power cuts before (unfortunately more than I would like) this past year and never I had any problems at all.

I have not found any thread or piece of information regarding problems similar to this. I sent an email to TEAC support but so far I haven't got any answer. And this is 14 days past the 1-year warranty, and I live in México, so I have no much hope in any case.

Any ideas of what could be the problem, or things to try to fix it? I already opened to see if visually there was some burn capacitor or something like this, but there are no traces of anything like that. It's not a cheap piece of equipment to just throw it away.

Thanks in advance!

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:19 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello,

It's been 3 days since, after a power cut, my TEAC UD-301 is not producing any output at all. I have tried the headphones jack and the XLR but in both cases it's the same. I have tried with different computers and even with the Optical input but no luck.

The LEDs that show what input format is being used correctly display the expected value. I can even configure the upsampling correctly. I can play DSD files with the TEAC software or use it as a DAC directly and there are no errors anywhere, except no sound. It is almost as if it was somehow muted, but it does not have a mute button and moving the level switch on the back changes nothing. The volume knob makes no difference.

The DAC was connected to a regulated output, and it was a "gracious" power cut: i.e., no problem from the outside, we just had to turn off the breaker for a short while and I forgot to turn this off before. I had experienced power cuts before (unfortunately more than I would like) this past year and never I had any problems at all.

I have not found any thread or piece of information regarding problems similar to this. I sent an email to TEAC support but so far I haven't got any answer. And this is 14 days past the 1-year warranty, and I live in México, so I have no much hope in any case.

Any ideas of what could be the problem, or things to try to fix it? I already opened to see if visually there was some burn capacitor or something like this, but there are no traces of anything like that. It's not a cheap piece of equipment to just throw it away.

Thanks in advance!
Sorry to say but I think it's dead. If you tried all the outputs and you tried different sources it sounds like it is dead. You might want to try asking Teac if they have anything.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 8
Sorry to say but I think it's dead. If you tried all the outputs and you tried different sources it sounds like it is dead. You might want to try asking Teac if they have anything.

I will wait for them to respond.

I also think there is no much hope, but being that everything seems to work fine... I somewhat expect that it might be something simple to fix. I mean, if it didn't power up or the computer didn't recognize it... or something more "visible" on the logic board... anyway, if they don't respond I will take it to some shop here and have a last shot at it there. In the meantime I ordered another already (I was very happy with it!).

Jun 30, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #4 of 8
I will wait for them to respond.

I also think there is no much hope, but being that everything seems to work fine... I somewhat expect that it might be something simple to fix. I mean, if it didn't power up or the computer didn't recognize it... or something more "visible" on the logic board... anyway, if they don't respond I will take it to some shop here and have a last shot at it there. In the meantime I ordered another already (I was very happy with it!).
I wish you luck.

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #5 of 8
Well, the plot thickens.

I received the new unit last Friday. It worked fine. I made sure to connect it to the battery backup contacts on my UPS, and everything was good. This time I haven't used the XLR outputs at all, just the headphones.

But now, surprise!!! it doesn't work either! It's somewhat different: the XLR outputs produce a high-pitched sound, but no output on the headphone. I tried on another computer and it's the same. I don't have the TOSLink cable here with me right now so I can't try it, but I've had enough. I'm doing whatever I can to return it for a refund to Amazon. It's a shame, it was a good product, but having 2 drop dead like that is not what I expect of it.

Oh, and as a side note. Teac hasn't responded to my email at all. Don't know if that's the usual support they give or just my bad luck.

May 10, 2019 at 8:23 PM Post #6 of 8
Hello,

Thanks in advance!
The back of the device has a slider to make the volume line out, variable (so you can control by unit volume control) , or off. Yours is probably set to off

May 10, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #7 of 8
Hello,

The back of the device has a slider to make the volume line out, variable (so you can control by unit volume control) , or off. Yours is probably set to off

I wish it was something as simple as that. But no, the problem was much more complex/unknown, and per the reviews and comments elsewhere, it's not the first time this happens. I managed to return both to Amazon for a full refund, and some time later (last year) I bought a NAD D3020; all is good now :)

May 10, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #8 of 8
Hello,

I wish it was something as simple as that. But no, the problem was much more complex/unknown, and per the reviews and comments elsewhere, it's not the first time this happens. I managed to return both to Amazon for a full refund, and some time later (last year) I bought a NAD D3020; all is good now :)
Enjoy your new unit. Yeah the problem I had was the teac player and any other dad player wouldnt play. Finally figured out any driverexcept the oldest was missing the aiso component. Once I installed the newest drivers and installed the oldest one it worked for me. Ridiculipus in 2019, fixed it yesterday, they haven't caught on to that

Users who are viewing this thread

Back