Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Mar 24, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #271 of 550
link please.  Subjects like this, I'd love to read about. It's like reading mystery.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:19 AM Post #272 of 550
I can't find it on the net. it was a metallurgy/magnetics white paper. I don't even know what dr. wrote it. I do remember I did not care to read it all being like a phone book. this is honestly stupid. for a short time I don't think you will wreck most transducers. it did ruin a lot of grados a few years ago for some reason. of course everyone blamed it on grado sucks. I really did not make this up but I also do not think it is a huge issue. like I said though I would break in anything mechanical the way I was going to use it. I don't think that has any specific findings just what I like to do. I do think the damage occurred at high spl. run it low it is probably fine. I just think music has more dynamic range covering everything.  when you say mystery do you mean it has no basis? I do know if you blast new transducers you can certainly blow them. likewise if you drag race a new car you may kill it. trust me I know about that one
mad.gif

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #273 of 550
  I can't find it on the net. it was a metallurgy/magnetics white paper. I don't even know what dr. wrote it. I do remember I did not care to read it all being like a phone book. this is honestly stupid. for a short time I don't think you will wreck most transducers. it did ruin a lot of grados a few years ago for some reason. of course everyone blamed it on grado sucks. I really did not make this up but I also do not think it is a huge issue. like I said though I would break in anything mechanical the way I was going to use it. I don't think that has any specific findings just what I like to do. I do think the damage occurred at high spl. run it low it is probably fine. I just think music has more dynamic range covering everything.  when you say mystery do you mean it has no basis? I do know if you blast new transducers you can certainly blow them. likewise if you drag race a new car you may kill it. trust me I know about that one
mad.gif

music_man, please don't take what i said the wrong way.  I often enjoy reading about technical stuffs.  Anything I don't know or understand yet, I often call it mystery. 
biggrin.gif
It's a personal way to keep myself interested in reading/researching about new knowledge.  There's so much out there to learn.

Mar 24, 2014 at 1:24 PM Post #274 of 550
no problem. I hate reading that stuff. had too for work. maybe I didn't like it because I had to. the funny thing is I find acoustic engineering really boring. id rather just put up a mic and press record.

Mar 30, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #275 of 550
 Well I have made a new discovery of sorts. Seems that the teac ud-501 works extremely well with my outrageously expensive kubala sosna emotion power cable. I hooked it up last night to my computer via usb of course and fired the system up. I have emotiva airmotiv 5 actives on my desktop. I have them hooked up via the balanced outputs on the teac ud-501 and am using the volume attenuators on the emotiva airmotiv 5 speakers to control the volume. I am using nordost heimdall version 1 xlr cables to pass the signal. I was just trying out my various power cables that I have and it seems the kubala sosna emotion is a natural for the ud-501.
   I have been watching the avengers on Netflix and the sound is just awesome. The balance is neutral but in a good way there is body to the sound and the dynamics are zowie. Things seem to be very nearly ideally balanced there is good tonality with good clarity and the sound is open and spacious as well.
   I have found a new home for my kubala emotion power cable and it is attached to the ud-501.My emotiva airmotiv 5s are excellent sounding desktop speakers but they have never sounded this good. I am in Netflix heaven.

Mar 30, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #276 of 550
this whole system is odin. so it all jives together. I can try an elation cable though. I don't really think of the ud-501 as a cheap dac because it can do much better with thousands of dollars of cables and power conditioning. plug that emotion into a balanced power conditioner and watch what happens. plus I replaced $400(wholesale) of parts in it that took five hours. I don't think you really need to upgrade the internal power supply's. just plug it into balanced power. so if any one insults the teac solely because it is $849 it really is more like thousands. of course someone could say a good component does not need this. not true. every component needs good power and cables. with the right hook up this dac is very serious. I aasume you are using the xlr's. the xlr's are ten times better than the rca's on this until I replaced the op amps. perhaps I will see what I can do with the headamp and make that killer too but I don't really listen to headphones anymore. it would give me a chance to sell one unneeded headamp though.

Apr 2, 2014 at 8:44 PM Post #277 of 550
 You guessed right I am using the xlrs. The teac does sound noticeably better balanced. I will shortly be trying some harmonic tech power cords on my emotiva actives. That should be interesting. The emotiva airmotiv active speakers are somewhat of a giant killer as well. I have become a huge fan of active loudspeakers too. I really love the atcs they can be truly awesome in ways most passive speakers are not. I have heard the atc 100s and they can really put a lot of the very high end speakers  to shame and at a mere fraction of the price and that includes amplification. There is no way I am going back to passive speakers.
 But I am a headphone guy as well. At some point I would like to get a balanced drive headphone amp to drive my lcd2.2s.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #279 of 550
I have heard the m2 young dac a friend of mine had one. It is a pretty good analogue like dac. I was not sure it was dsd capable at that time.
But it did sound very musical playing cds.
  I am not sure if it was capable of balanced drive because he had to use it in single ended fashion.
I have to comment from my opinions from what I remember because my friend has passed on. I think the teac was more dynamic sounding
it was not as flexible as the teac either. The teac has a lot more user adjustable settings. Also the m2 young dac has a wall wart power supply.
The power supply in the teac is way more substantial. Also the m2 young dac was way more expensive if not twice the price.
  For the money I feel the teac is a way better value.
  Both dacs are capable of 384 kHz in pcm.
  With balanced operation I think the teac is more capable than the m2 young dac.
If you get the teac go to the teac online store the dac is only 749 usd.

Apr 3, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #280 of 550
the m2 is not as good imo. it is only single ended. however if you only have se it is better. active speakers can be very serious. try genelec. what we use to make the music. cab be serious money too.

Apr 3, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #281 of 550
  this whole system is odin. so it all jives together. I can try an elation cable though. I don't really think of the ud-501 as a cheap dac because it can do much better with thousands of dollars of cables and power conditioning. plug that emotion into a balanced power conditioner and watch what happens. plus I replaced $400(wholesale) of parts in it that took five hours. I don't think you really need to upgrade the internal power supply's. just plug it into balanced power. so if any one insults the teac solely because it is $849 it really is more like thousands. of course someone could say a good component does not need this. not true. every component needs good power and cables. with the right hook up this dac is very serious. I aasume you are using the xlr's. the xlr's are ten times better than the rca's on this until I replaced the op amps. perhaps I will see what I can do with the headamp and make that killer too but I don't really listen to headphones anymore. it would give me a chance to sell one unneeded headamp though.

The power cable can act as antenna to pick up a wide range of signal beyond the audible range.
However the received noise can be aliased back into the audio frequency range when the anti-analog or digital filter is not properly designed.
Actually proper design of those kind of things can be challenging.
I do agree that the DAC can be improved with good power conditioner and shielded power cable.
Any way, signal we are hearing is a measure against a local ground, so that we need to stabilize ground swing.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:21 PM Post #282 of 550
  the m2 is not as good imo. it is only single ended. however if you only have se it is better. active speakers can be very serious. try genelec. what we use to make the music. cab be serious money too.

I know I have emotiva pro stealth 8s and they can be very revealing of sources. I am still trying to figure out the best settings on the speakers. The change in sound can be pretty large from setting to setting on the stealth 8s. You have to be patient when finding the optimal adjustment for the room you are using them in. My room is about medium size so I probably am not even tapping the ultimate capability of these very revealing speakers. My listening room is probably far from the ideal room for speaker placement as well. I will keep prodding along until I get things right for my listening room.
   But they do not sound bad with my present settings.
 They would probably be better sounding with a more recent preamp but my audio research ls2 mk II is sounding pretty good through the hot rod input. I do miss the option that my airmotiv 6s had to adjust the volume sans preamp even though emotiva does not suggest that the volume adjustment be used in that fashion. But it did work. Of course the stealth 8s have greater capabilities given the 400 watts rms power onboard each speaker. 200 watts on the tweeter and 200 watts on the woofer. These babies can really play loud much louder than I dare to play them at.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #283 of 550
 I also recently retried the sharp filter setting on the ud-501 recently. I initially abstained from that filter position based on what some of the comments were made about the best filter settings.
 Boy were those recommendations wrong. This dac sounds a lot more resolute with the sharp filter in place on pcm. I can not go back to the slow or off positions anymore the 501 sounds way better with the pcm filter set to sharp.

Apr 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM Post #284 of 550
I'm considering picking one of these up and an all-in-one desktop dac/amp solution. Is there any pop or thump heard through the headphones during power on or off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back