Teac Reference Line UD-501 USB DAC "DSD"
Mar 21, 2014 at 1:03 AM Post #256 of 550
  you need to change the latency for the usb driver. don't know how on a mac. get a Belkin gold usb cable.$15. very good cable. junk cable can cause issues too. you can also adjust the output sampling rate. again, don't know on mac.

You can't actually adjust the latency, I don't know what it is, but I imagine it's in the lowest range. Certain devices through software allow adjustment, but not CoreAudio drivers.

The dropout is odd, 10.5 is old, don't know if updating will help, but I'm sure they've optimized CoreAudio sense 10.5.6.

To change the sampling frequency either use the Cmd+Space to search for Audio Midi setup (might be different on 10.5.6, it's been awhile) and you can adjust the sampling frequency of each device installed on the system.

Mar 21, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #257 of 550
 Jaytee, you said you're using a cheapo usb cable. If you can't change the latency of the usb then maybe you should give a try to a better usb cable. I know some will say that shouldn't make a difference in terms of drop-outs etc but sometimes it does. Not to mention sound quality. It doesn't have to be expensive. Maybe a belkin gold or something like that like music_man said. I tried 3 different brands of usb cables and they all sound different! The standard usb printer cable is not even close on my system. 
 But it could also be software related. I'm not familiar with the system you use so I don't know. I'm using windows 7 pc and Jriver 19. I hope you work it out somehow. 

Mar 21, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #258 of 550
Thanks for the responses. The cheapo cable is a Belkin gold with the purple connectors. I'll try some of the suggestions today. I was using iTunes as the player. I'll download a different one. The Teac player requires a higher version OS than I'm using so I need to get that OS upgraded as well. Hopefully everything comes together after these upgrades.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #259 of 550
okay I am a little biased because I like windows. iTunes does not give you optimal sound. even on a mac really. there are players for mac that are super. I think you have to buy them. these will let you adjust things so it does not skip. in fact those may not skip with default settings. also, make sure it is not in a usb 3.0 port! I know I had big problems with iTunes for windows but I suppose it does work better on a mac. you do need to update your os too. it is not the teac. it is something in the software. unless by chance the teac is broken which I doubt. belkin gold is a fine cable. the only cable I like better and use is a audioquest diamond. it is $1,000 usd. so you get the drift about the Belkin.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:16 PM Post #260 of 550
^

I would do the following :

• don't update your OS yet
  • Get a gold belkin USB cable like others have suggested ($15).  If the cable is built to spec and good quality, that's all you need.  Telling me, a computer engineer, that good quality USB cables can sound different is like saying there's different shapes of 0's and 1's in the digital domain. 
    biggrin.gif
    So I personally wouldn't waste $ or worry too much about USB cable.  Just make sure you get a well constructed one.
  • Play a file from your hard drive.  Don't stream.  This will help you troubleshoot easier.
  • Make sure the TEAC driver (not the player) is the latest one.
  • If skipping still happens after the previous 4 steps, then do the OS upgrade which will be a much bigger pain in the azz. 
    tongue.gif

Also, itune streaming is not 384 so if the TEAC LCD displays 384, there's some up conversion going on in your computer.  I know it's not something in itune though.  Gluck.

Mar 21, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #261 of 550
  okay I am a little biased because I like windows. iTunes does not give you optimal sound. even on a mac really. there are players for mac that are super. I think you have to buy them. these will let you adjust things so it does not skip. in fact those may not skip with default settings. also, make sure it is not in a usb 3.0 port! I know I had big problems with iTunes for windows but I suppose it does work better on a mac. you do need to update your os too. it is not the teac. it is something in the software. unless by chance the teac is broken which I doubt. belkin gold is a fine cable. the only cable I like better and use is a audioquest diamond. it is $1,000 usd. so you get the drift about the Belkin.

Lmao! you just made my day.  You like it better cuz the 0's and 1's running through the audioquest cable is prettier? 
biggrin.gif
  Just wow.

For such a technical person who has done so much modding on the TEAC DAC, you really surprised me with your USB cable statement.

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM Post #262 of 550
nah I agree with you. I would bet it is 100% physcoacoustic. it sure does look pretty! I am an audio engineer. I also like collecting cables. if people are sane they could stop at mogami,belden and Belkin. I doubt I could pick out any of them in a dbt. I just like them. if you like something then it is better. exactly what I said though. get the Belkin. the data is not prettier the cable is. if that is worth a grand to anyone knock themselves out. it is to me. I said I "like" it better. that can mean a lot of things. perhaps sound not being one of them.  I have mostly steered clear of the usb cable thread. besides to mention these two. you are correct sir but don't tell anyone here I said this!

Mar 21, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #263 of 550
  nah I agree with you. I would bet it is 100% physcoacoustic. it sure does look pretty! I am an audio engineer. I also like collecting cables. if people are sane they could stop at mogami,belden and Belkin. I doubt I could pick out any of them in a dbt. I just like them. if you like something then it is better. exactly what I said though. get the Belkin. the data is not prettier the cable is. if that is worth a grand to anyone knock themselves out. it is to me. I said I "like" it better. that can mean a lot of things. perhaps sound not being one of them.  I have mostly steered clear of the usb cable thread. besides to mention these two. you are correct sir but don't tell anyone here I said this!

+1.  I love it when an honest open discussion goes both ways and stays positive. 
beerchug.gif

Mar 22, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #264 of 550
Well I cheated a little to resolve my issues which were purely computer related. I used my wife's Macbook Pro with OS 10.7.5 and used itunes with no problems. It even sounds better with her laptop than with the IMAC. I downloaded the Teac player on the Macbook and it seems to work well too. By the way the cable was not the issue either. Now that all that's behind me, it's time to enjoy some serious listening and while I'm not listening I'll be pumping pink noise into the DAC to further break her in. I'll also be configuring the balanced outputs to my recording rig as I have that capability as well. Fun stuff! Thanks fellas for all the guidance and enjoy your rigs...

Mar 22, 2014 at 11:21 PM Post #265 of 550
  Well I cheated a little to resolve my issues which we're purely computer related. I used my wife's Macbook Pro with OS 10.7.5 and used itunes with no problems. It even sounds better with her laptop than with the IMAC. I downloaded the Teac player on the Macbook and it seems to work well too. By the way the cable was not the issue either. Now that all that's behind me, it's time to enjoy some serious listening and while I'm not listening I'll be pumping pink noise into the DAC to further break her in. I'll also be configuring the balanced outputs to my recording rig as I have that capability as well. Fun stuff! Thanks fellas for all the guidance and enjoy your rigs...

Go download some free sample DSD tracks and give them a try.  Pretty crazy stuffs!

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:33 AM Post #268 of 550
I don't like to use pink noise on hifi gear. just loop music at low volume or turn off the speakers/headphones. my feeling is like the best way to break in a car is to drive it the way you will. this may be nonsense but just what I prefer. for speakers/headphones it is different. never run pink/white noise on those. it can damage new magnets. trust me. read the old grado threads.

Mar 23, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #269 of 550
  I don't like to use pink noise on hifi gear. just loop music at low volume or turn off the speakers/headphones. my feeling is like the best way to break in a car is to drive it the way you will. this may be nonsense but just what I prefer. for speakers/headphones it is different. never run pink/white noise on those. it can damage new magnets. trust me. read the old grado threads.

That bolded part, I agree 100%.
The damage new magnets part, hmm...Very interesting at the least.  
biggrin.gif

Mar 23, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #270 of 550
seriously. it can excite the ferrite structures misaligning them. it can also fuse the spider. if you want to read 400 pages of white paper because you don't take my word for it be my guest lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back