TEAC HA-P90SD (To be released in Dec, 2014)
Dec 20, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #331 of 447
Hello there,

Both Teac HA-P90SD and Onkyo DAC-HA300 are similar products. Teac released 6 firmwares updates but Onkyo 0 (Zero). Do you know if Teac HA-P90SD last firmware can be loaded successfully in Onkyo DAC-HA300 ? 

Thank you,

Regards

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:55 PM Post #332 of 447
got mine 10 days ago and have been listening to it since then. oh boy what a joy this experience has been, what a gorgeous sound from such a small thing, what a great synergy with phantom master 4 and ATH-R70X, IE80 also sounds so good with teac 

today I used it as dac/amp with my pc as well, very much impressed , especially with Fidelio L2

was not expecting so much power from such a tiny ting   (tiny compared to full size desktop amps) now, of course unfortunately it can not compete to my dac / amp combination of Parasound Zdac v.2 + Matrix M-Stage HPA 3B (Dual LME49710) for instance, but first these 2 together are at least 10 times heavier if not more and cost is also not the same, especially if we take into account that I bought my teac on black friday for 294 $ brand new , amazing deal

this is a piece of art for this price and a size, but to be my main daily driver it has some limitations in terms of sound stage,details,driving power for full size head phones, but it lacks only just a bit in those departments, so a great job done by teac 

and there is definitely one thing that is just UGLY in every way and that is UI,  u n b e l i e v a b a l e !!! battery also sucks big time

but I just love how my HA-P90SD sounds, I just love its sound signature so much !

will post some more impressions after more listening sessions , but one thing is for sure, this is a player/dac/amp that you have to own if you are into the music , no questions or doubts about that  

cheers 

Jan 3, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #333 of 447
I've been using mine for the last few months and if you can get over the UI and 5 hour batt life, you get one of the best sounding daps i've ever heard.  It is also the most flexible, I use it as a dac for my phone, tablet, laptop it sounds great not only for audio but also for movies.  The amp section is also one of the most powerful, it can drive my hi z 400 ohms without a problem

Jan 3, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #335 of 447
personally I've gotten quite used to it.  I just had to organize my albums a certain way since teac p90 pulls out artist, album title and genre from the meta data for sorting.  I normally use it on its own as a dap though instead of a dac.

Jan 7, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #336 of 447
For those claiming poor battery performance (which is true btw) this one may help out, it should at least extend play time by 2x-3x:

TASCAM BP-6AA
https://www.amazon.com/BP-6AA-External-Battery-Portable-Recorder/dp/B0065GF5W6
http://tascam.com/product/bp-6aa/

Jan 31, 2017 at 7:13 PM Post #337 of 447
HA-P90SD owners, after reading  all of this thread and seeing how much Best Buy is listing this DAP for ($296.00), I decide to order one and I'm awaiting delivery.   I noticed on the Teac website the firmware support for this device has slowed down.  

Would you say the HA-P90SD had reached perfection firmware wise and we shouldn't expect anything more from Teac and have any of you gleamed any new tips and tricks for this player that you can pass on to a new owner.

Is there anything better out now in the same price point that can best the HA-90SD that I should also consider if I find I don't like the player.   I listen to mostly old school R&B and some Jazz.  I also have a pair of LZ A4 iem on the way, I actually purchased those before discovering the rave reviews on the HA-P90SD.   I hope the LZ A4 will match up good with the HA-P90SD.

Andre

Feb 1, 2017 at 2:50 PM Post #338 of 447
If you want something with a better UI - the closest I've heard in terms of SQ is the Acoustic Research M2, but it's nearly twice the price and I still don't think it should sounds as good. As long as you can cope with the UI, then the Teac is the best I've heard.

Feb 1, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #339 of 447
If you want something with a better UI - the closest I've heard in terms of SQ is the Acoustic Research M2, but it's nearly twice the price and I still don't think it should sounds as good. As long as you can cope with the UI, then the Teac is the best I've heard.

Overheat that's really saying something about the SQ of this DAP.   According to tracking, my player should be here tomorrow and I received my LZ A4 iem's today and I really like the sound out of them through the Xduoo X3.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:20 PM Post #340 of 447
As far as I understood we can most probably never get any chance to receive folder view with future updates? That is the only thing I need from this player, otherwise it is so hard for me to use it. By the way it is such a nice dac/amp if you use it with pc/laptop, very nice one

Did anyone have any chance to compare it to pioneer xdp-100r ? In terms of sound quality

Cheers

Feb 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #341 of 447
As far as I understood we can most probably never get any chance to receive folder view with future updates? That is the only thing I need from this player, otherwise it is so hard for me to use it. By the way it is such a nice dac/amp if you use it with pc/laptop, very nice one

Did anyone have any chance to compare it to pioneer xdp-100r ? In terms of sound quality

Cheers

I just don't understand why it would be so hard to implement a Folder Views, after all it's just another view of the database of the music load.   Just as you have Genre view or Artist view.   Maybe all of us F90 owner need to send a email to the corporate level of Teac asking them how could they expect to be successful in the DAP market if they are not willing to listen to the needs of their customer.

By the way, while I was typing this post, the UPS guy showed up with my P90 and I just couldn't wait to tear it open but gently.   The first thing I noted was the weight of this player, it's impressive for sure and since I have pretty big hands there is no problem holding it or playing with the two controlling buttons.   I've got it on charge right now and will take my first listen once I finish this post.

Andre 

Feb 3, 2017 at 3:34 AM Post #342 of 447
   I just don't understand why it would be so hard to implement a Folder Views, after all it's just another view of the database of the music load.   Just as you have Genre view or Artist view.   Maybe all of us F90 owner need to send a email to the corporate level of Teac asking them how could they expect to be successful in the DAP market if they are not willing to listen to the needs of their customer.

By the way, while I was typing this post, the UPS guy showed up with my P90 and I just couldn't wait to tear it open but gently.   The first thing I noted was the weight of this player, it's impressive for sure and since I have pretty big hands there is no problem holding it or playing with the two controlling buttons.   I've got it on charge right now and will take my first listen once I finish this post.

Andre 

yeah, not having folder view option is just plain stupid if you ask me and it just ruins such a great unit 

so how did you like it? :wink:

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:09 PM Post #343 of 447
@Gugman, I'm listening to this player as I type this post and I can say I truly love this player already, no HYPE here just really enjoying the sound of this DAP and the fact that I don't have to lug around a two piece setup.  I'm using the LZ A4 iem's and I can't push the volume past halfway before it to load for enjoying listening.   

I plugged in my old Sennheiser HD580 headphones and it drove those with authority and those cans are very difficult to drive.  Both my player and iem's are brand new, only two days in my ownership so there is some break-in needed but out of the box both these items sound very good to me.   I don't have the gift of a reviewers expressive writing but my search for a DAP has ended, this one will do for the long run.

I'm 52 with failing eye sight due to my age but I can still see the font on this player without my glasses, that was not the case with Fiio X3 II I returned.  I'm not into all the fancy apps and advanced setting found on other players, I just want to be able to play my music on a good one piece setup and the P90 feeds that need.  

I'm use to a very basic UI and actually enjoy a simple click and play music setup.  I'm still getting use to the thumb toggle thingy but I don't find it to be as bad as all that especially for the price I paid and the sound I'm getting.  Before I was dragging a Fiio A12 amp and various players to the gym so it will be refreshing to have a single do it all player that can jam me out when I'm on the thread mill strutting my slow stuff in front of all the ladies or should I say Grandmas.   

Feb 3, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #344 of 447
Are there any type of cases out there for P90, I did a search and came up nill.  I could really use some type of arm band but that may be a little difficult due to the weight of this player. 

Andre

Feb 4, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #345 of 447
  @Gugman, I'm listening to this player as I type this post and I can say I truly love this player already, no HYPE here just really enjoying the sound of this DAP and the fact that I don't have to lug around a two piece setup.  I'm using the LZ A4 iem's and I can't push the volume past halfway before it to load for enjoying listening.   

I plugged in my old Sennheiser HD580 headphones and it drove those with authority and those cans are very difficult to drive.  Both my player and iem's are brand new, only two days in my ownership so there is some break-in needed but out of the box both these items sound very good to me.   I don't have the gift of a reviewers expressive writing but my search for a DAP has ended, this one will do for the long run.

I'm 52 with failing eye sight due to my age but I can still see the font on this player without my glasses, that was not the case with Fiio X3 II I returned.  I'm not into all the fancy apps and advanced setting found on other players, I just want to be able to play my music on a good one piece setup and the P90 feeds that need.  

I'm use to a very basic UI and actually enjoy a simple click and play music setup.  I'm still getting use to the thumb toggle thingy but I don't find it to be as bad as all that especially for the price I paid and the sound I'm getting.  Before I was dragging a Fiio A12 amp and various players to the gym so it will be refreshing to have a single do it all player that can jam me out when I'm on the thread mill strutting my slow stuff in front of all the ladies or should I say Grandmas.   

yes Sir ! I do agree with you

there is only one thing needed and that is a folder view and we would have a perfect dap/dac/amp in one unit !

cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back