TEAC HA-501 Headphone Amp
Sep 24, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #196 of 202
Hello, I know that this is a long thread, but do you know where I can get a HA-501 in Europe, new or used?

I have the TEAC NT-505 and I am very satisfied from the network player and DAC sections, and although its headphone output is definitely not bad, I would like something deeper and a bit less fatiguing. I would also like to play it safe and match the headphone amp from the same company, which also matches in style.

Thank you.

Sep 25, 2021 at 10:36 PM Post #197 of 202
Hello, I know that this is a long thread, but do you know where I can get a HA-501 in Europe, new or used?

I have the TEAC NT-505 and I am very satisfied from the network player and DAC sections, and although its headphone output is definitely not bad, I would like something deeper and a bit less fatiguing. I would also like to play it safe and match the headphone amp from the same company, which also matches in style.

Thank you.
Hello there. Well, this thread was opened for a reason, since the 501 was really good at the time. But (as always), time went by. Right now, in my humble opinion, it's just obsolete. Since than, I went through several dacs and dac/amp options, and now I own Lynx Hilo.
There's just no f...ing comparison. Stay away from 501 at this age and time. It's a beautifull relic, but a relic no doubt. Price wise, you have sooo many way better options right now. Sad, but true.

Sep 26, 2021 at 8:46 AM Post #198 of 202
Hello there. Well, this thread was opened for a reason, since the 501 was really good at the time. But (as always), time went by. Right now, in my humble opinion, it's just obsolete. Since than, I went through several dacs and dac/amp options, and now I own Lynx Hilo.
There's just no f...ing comparison. Stay away from 501 at this age and time. It's a beautifull relic, but a relic no doubt. Price wise, you have sooo many way better options right now. Sad, but true.
Vacuum tubes are obsolete but they can still sound amazing. I assure you there’s nothing obsolete with the HA-501 except the meaningless SINAD obsession from ASR that implies anything from Topping is the most advanced technology ever.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #199 of 202
Vacuum tubes are obsolete but they can still sound amazing. I assure you there’s nothing obsolete with the HA-501 except the meaningless SINAD obsession from ASR that implies anything from Topping is the most advanced technology ever.
That's completely OK. At the end of the day, it's all personal. I dare not to impose my opinion to nobody.
The thing is, I'm not talking about Topping, aldough they have few very good sounding amps and dacs. You know that 501 is more expensive, either. My point is, that in 501's price range, today, there is a pletora of choices, that not by me, but by absolute majority of users and critics, are way better than 501. I'm talking about cost/quality ratio. In comparison to my iBasso DX90 dap even, 501 sounds muffled and foggy. Won't compare it to Lynx Hilo or anything else newer in that class. Now, that being said, there's also pairing. 501's veil may come handy with, let's say HD800, but than again you'll lose their purpose. I liked 501with Focal Elear the best.
Now, that being said, it's all in your head and ears. I listen to DarkVoice 336SE, and enjoy its sound to this day. And 501 does have a kinda tubby sound, so if you enjoy its signiture, none of this matters.

Sep 26, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #200 of 202
That's completely OK. At the end of the day, it's all personal. I dare not to impose my opinion to nobody.
The thing is, I'm not talking about Topping, aldough they have few very good sounding amps and dacs. You know that 501 is more expensive, either. My point is, that in 501's price range, today, there is a pletora of choices, that not by me, but by absolute majority of users and critics, are way better than 501. I'm talking about cost/quality ratio. In comparison to my iBasso DX90 dap even, 501 sounds muffled and foggy. Won't compare it to Lynx Hilo or anything else newer in that class. Now, that being said, there's also pairing. 501's veil may come handy with, let's say HD800, but than again you'll lose their purpose. I liked 501with Focal Elear the best.
Now, that being said, it's all in your head and ears. I listen to DarkVoice 336SE, and enjoy its sound to this day. And 501 does have a kinda tubby sound, so if you enjoy its signiture, none of this matters.
Something must have been wrong with the HA-501 that you heard because I assure you there is nothing foggy about it. It's very clear and detailed, but it does impart a hint of class A warmth. You will never confuse it with a tube amp.

Nov 21, 2021 at 11:44 AM Post #201 of 202
Something must have been wrong with the HA-501 that you heard because I assure you there is nothing foggy about it. It's very clear and detailed, but it does impart a hint of class A warmth. You will never confuse it with a tube amp.

I've had my Teac HA-501 for several months (it's a NOS unit that was purchased by the original owner in 2019, and purchased from him by me this past summer). The HA-501 has a nice smooth sound to it that allows for hours of fatigue free listening. It also runs my planar and dynamic headphones quite well. Its objective performance
in the modern day lags behind many headphones amplifiers that cost a fraction of its original retail price. (Around $850 in 2013). However, in my experience, it sounds
significantly better than many of these headphone amp's. For example, I have a JDS Labs Atom which at $99 easily outperforms the HA-501 objectively. Yet, I much prefer
the sound of the HA-501. The Atom is a very good amp for the money, but in my experience, it can sound a bit fatiguing after awhile; which the HA-501 does not.

I paid a total as delivered price of $325 for my HA-501, which I consider to be an excellent value.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2023 at 3:48 PM Post #202 of 202
I've had my Teac HA-501 for several months (it's a NOS unit that was purchased by the original owner in 2019, and purchased from him by me this past summer). The HA-501 has a nice smooth sound to it that allows for hours of fatigue free listen well. Its objective performance
in the modern day lags behind many headphones amplifiers that cost a fraction of its original retail price. (Around $850 in 2013). However, in my experience, it sounds significantly better than many of these headphone amp's. For example, I have a JDS Labs Atom which at $99 easily outperforms the HA-501 objectively. Yet, I much prefer the sound of the HA-501. The Atom is a very good amp for the money, but in my experience, it can sound a bit fatiguing after awhile; which the HA-501 does not.

I paid a total as delivered price of $325 for my HA-501, which I consider to be an excellent value.
Now that the weather is finally cooling down, just putting my headfi system back together after the three month summer hiatus. Got the Teac HA501 off the storage shelf and just running it with a pair of HD600's. The sound is glorious!

Attachments

• IMG_20230916_154243.jpg
    IMG_20230916_154243.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back