TEAC HA-501 Headphone Amp
Jun 23, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #77 of 202
  Anyone tried this amp with dynamic, low impedance closed cans? Especially D7000, TH-900, W3000ANV?
Overpowered? More analytical or euphonic?

I have with the Shure 1540.  Very neutral presentation of the amp.  My tube amps are a little warmer, but the TEAC isn't clinical at all.

Jun 24, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #78 of 202
Thanks for your impressions.
I am trying to make up my mind and choose between the Teac amp+dac, Fostex HP-a8 and Oppo HA-1 at the moment.
I am looking for good synergy with the TH-900 and some AT woodies.
I see neutral as being in the middle between analytical and euphonic. Let's say my preference would be halfway inbetween neutral and euphonic.
I did own a Teac UD-H01 before which is rather inexpensive. Although it was good at it's price it wasn't what i was looking for.
These new 500 series might be something different though, the specs and features sure look promising.

Jul 6, 2014 at 3:25 PM Post #79 of 202
I would love to read a review on this amp compared to the Oppo HA 1.  I always find it strange how some products get all the attention while others seem to get ignored.  From what I have read thus far this TEAC amp would compare very well.  I realize this does not have a DAC included, but it is priced with that omission in mind.

Jul 6, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #80 of 202
  I would love to read a review on this amp compared to the Oppo HA 1.  I always find it strange how some products get all the attention while others seem to get ignored.  From what I have read thus far this TEAC amp would compare very well.  I realize this does not have a DAC included, but it is priced with that omission in mind.

Not many people have the TEAC because it never got to FOTM status like the Oppo.  Nothing against the Oppo, of course 

Jul 6, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #83 of 202
Now that I have had my TEAC HA-501 for a couple of months my regard for it's abilitiy and value has only been enhanced.  So far it is has done an exemplary job of working well with the following diverse sets of phones:  Grado RS-1, Grado PS500, Sennheiser HD600, Beyer Dynamic DT-880 600 ohm and 250 ohm versions, AKG Q701, AKG K340, AKG K240 Sextett, Audio Technica ATH-AD700X, Grado SR60e, Grado GR10, Sennheiser HD414 2000 ohm and Sennheiser HD424.  I am sure I am forgetting one or two

The dual mono Class amp has a good amount of push behind it and lends authority, good bass control and depth and very refined mids and highs.  The five position impedance adjustment switch gives you the ability to fine tune to which ever phone you are using to get the best results,

Build quality is very good, solid feel and good components utilized.

Highly recommended.

Jul 7, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #84 of 202
I wanna believe you but I got a problem and a question.
You didn't use closed sensitive dynamics with it and that'ts the only reference point I need.
And what I surely would love is a comparison with the HP-A8.

I know you don't use the gear I am talking about but if anyone does I'd.love some info soon as I already pulled the trigger halfway on the HP-A8.

I'd love the second pair of amp outputs on the TEAC but I'm afraid I'd be missing out on quality, power and more euphonic sound I'd get with the HP-A8.

Dec 16, 2014 at 3:21 PM Post #88 of 202
On my second week with the HA-501 and have been enjoying every moment. Since I also received in the same last two weeks a set of Stax SR Sigmas that i had pursuing it has been hard each night to decide what new toy to indulge in. After reading your comments above I decided tonight I should try my DT 880 600 ohm with the Teac.
Seven songs in on one of my main test discs (Burmester -Art for the Ear / Vorfuhrungs -CD II) and I am just loving what the amp is doing with the Beyers. Sorry I do not have access to a T1 but I can pretty much guarantee your really liking the Teac with your 880's. So far I have tried and loved the results with this amp driving my AKG K340, Q701 and K240 Sextett, Grado RS1, PS500, RS225i and SR60i. In most cases all these sounded better on the HA-501 than I have previously heard them. The one exception would be the AKG K340 on my OTL Woo WA3 which approaches a magical synergy. When I find more time I will need to do some serious comparison with DT880 on the Woo vs. The Teac.

I hope this is helpful.

:xf_eek:

Hi ESL-1, can i ask you at which level of damping are you setting the Teac when using the DT 880?

Thank you. :xf_eek:

Dec 16, 2014 at 10:19 PM Post #89 of 202
I do now have T1's. With them I set the control in the middle or one step up from middle (2nd from top). Got home late or I would try the 880 600ohm but I think it was middle. I see you have a T1 so the first part of my answer will be what you would want. On the T1 I am more often in that one step up from the middle unless the source has issues.

Feel free to reach out If you have any questions.

Dec 17, 2014 at 2:40 AM Post #90 of 202
Thank you very much for your answer ESL-1. Yes i asked this because i also have the T1, and following the Teac instruction manual i always use the gain/damping setting in the low position since this should be the one for the 600 ohm headphones (or maybe i misunderstood the manual... ? ) but especially with rock music i have the sensation that there is not enough power with this kind of setting even if i turn up the volume nearly to the max... As a source i use a desktop sacd/cd player the sony xa 5400 es and works flawlessly with any other amp that i have so i do not think it's a source problem.

I didn't use the upper level of the gain/damping setting since i thought this could damage the headphones 
tongue_smile.gif
 , maybe i was misguided by the Teac manual ... sorry but i do not have much experience this is my first serious headphone system :)

So if you tell me there is no danger i will try your setting 
redface.gif

Thanks again for you help.

Any further info will be much appreciated 
regular_smile .gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back